Quantcast

Women-specific body armor?

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
I recently attended a talk at RIT by Georgena Terry, CEO of Terry Precision Bicycling. It was a talk, followed by a open forum type discussion. I brought up the question of women-specific body armor, mentioning that the DH/Freeride segment of the market is growing, and that women are becoming a part of the crowd as well, which is awesome in my opinion.

She seemed interested in pursuing the possibility of developing women-specific body armor, as Terry is known as one of the leaders in women-specific equipment and clothing. So I'd to hear the women's thoughts on this matter, mainly:
1. What fit issues do you run into when trying to wear armor designed for men?
2. Are there any companies out there that currently offer women-specific amor?
3. What would you like to see in women-specific armor? By this I mean colors, patterns, any possible marketing strategies that would entice women to buy it as opposed to men's armor.

Any other comments are welcomed and encouraged. I'm basically trying to see what interest there is, and what YOU'd like to see developed for you. I'd doing this partly because there seem to be issues with women trying to find armor that fits, and because it could something that I could work into a possible co-op with Terry in the future. THanks

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Just a few things of the top of my head....

upper body armor
-take our boobs into account, but still have a hard chest plate

leg armour
-we generally have slightly smaller legs then men (even those of us, like me, that have big legs for a female)

In general though, remembering that all of us females are not petite, small little things. Alot of women specific clothing I've tried on (and I haven't tried any of the Terry stuff) just doesn't account for the fact that we're athletic women who have hips, thighs, shoulders...etc. One would think that athletic apparel wouldn't fall victim to this, but some still does.

As for color....pink, purple, flowers....all that stuff is cool in my book :D

rainbow_smoke

Monkey
Sep 19, 2003
Bellingham, WA
the leg thing is important. I think they should have petite, regular and tall leg armor, because mine seems to long, it rubs the tops of my shoes and I keep having to pull it up.

lots of cool colors are great, like VG said!!!

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Here are my two cents:

I prefer armor jackets that have something that covers one's belly--like the big elastic band on the Azonic jackets. This really has nothing to do with being a woman, though.

Also, some women are actually not big on feminine-looking stuff. Me, for example. I tend to wither and whine if something pastel-colored is on my body. Pastel-colored items, when on my body, turn me into a kid being forced into a special dress for the Easter church services. Offer me a tight black dress, and I'm all over it, though.

I'm one of those women who actually likes looking like she's auditioning for "Battlestar Gallactica" when she's suited up.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Originally posted by Capt. Jack Sparrow
Here are my two cents:

I prefer armor jackets that have something that covers one's belly--like the big elastic band on the Azonic jackets. This really has nothing to do with being a woman, though.

Also, some women are actually not big on feminine-looking stuff. Me, for example. I tend to wither and whine if something pastel-colored is on my body. Pastel-colored items, when on my body, turn me into a kid being forced into a special dress for the Easter church services. Offer me a tight black dress, and I'm all over it, though.

I'm one of those women who actually likes looking like she's auditioning for "Battlestar Gallactica" when she's suited up.
I too look for things that aren't pastel-colors & prints. I don't want to look all "girly" when I am out riding (similar childhood experiences there). The "little black dress" is a staple in my wardrobe too!

Tell me more about this "Battlestar Gallactica"...will I look tough & dangerous??? ;)

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Originally posted by TreeSaw

Tell me more about this "Battlestar Gallactica"...will I look tough & dangerous??? ;)
Funny that you should ask. Here's the character from "Battlestar Gallactica" that I must have been recalling. However, I realize I would rather look like Darth Vader or an Imperial Storm Trooper in my armor than him--he's not as burly as I remembered.

Attachments

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Originally posted by Velocity Girl
In general though, remembering that all of us females are not petite, small little things. Alot of women specific clothing I've tried on (and I haven't tried any of the Terry stuff) just doesn't account for the fact that we're athletic women who have hips, thighs, shoulders...etc. One would think that athletic apparel wouldn't fall victim to this, but some still does.
So Right. I am 5' 11, and when I peruse the women's section, it either pisses me off or makes me laugh.
Who in the hell is in charge of design for bike clothing companies?

I don't mind wearing pink (as long as I have black with it)....but my idea of riding does not involve looking like a tarted up wedding cake on a muddy trail.

Cut it out with the short shorts, I am not out on the trail to get some @ss..... FUNCTIONALITY PEOPLE!!!!

..................rant over..............................

Maybe we MudHunnies should design some things??
Seriously, have a MudHunny logo....
Fierce yet a little feminine....

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Originally posted by MudGrrl
So Right. I am 5' 11, and when I peruse the women's section, it either pisses me off or makes me laugh.
Who in the hell is in charge of design for bike clothing companies?

I don't mind wearing pink (as long as I have black with it)....but my idea of riding does not involve looking like a tarted up wedding cake on a muddy trail.

Cut it out with the short shorts, I am not out on the trail to get some @ss..... FUNCTIONALITY PEOPLE!!!!

..................rant over..............................

Maybe we MudHunnies should design some things??
Seriously, have a MudHunny logo....
Fierce yet a little feminine....
Your rant is AWESOME!!! I totally second those remarks :D

So, a mudhunny logo??? Now I am trying to think of some designs!

foxy

Chimp
May 19, 2004
Edinburgh, UK
Hey girls, i just stumbled across this topic and thought i'd have my say as well. I'm from the UK and the stuff available to girls over here is awful! Women's riding gear for DH? Yeah right! Doesn't really exist. I ride in knee and shin that fall down, upper body armour that sticks out quite a bit on the chest (dainese and boobs don't mix) and shorts that are very unflattering.
It was suggested that i should just get upper body armour without the chest plate, but no way would i do that, like that protection. If something could even be made to replace this it would be good.

Jun 9, 2010
Help I am 5'0 and 97 lbs. I can't every find any shin/knee guards that fit. Youths just fit weird, and I can really seem to find any woman's armor other then the RaceFace that I am not really fond of. Does anyone have any suggestions.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Help I am 5'0 and 97 lbs. I can't every find any shin/knee guards that fit. Youths just fit weird, and I can really seem to find any woman's armor other then the RaceFace that I am not really fond of. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Have you checked out the Rockgardn women's stuff? I am not nearly as tiny so I can't really tell you about the fit for someone your size.

My friend Sue and I often discuss how the leading women's pressure suit out there at the moment zips directly up the middle of the chest plate, and therefore has a big weak spot directly over your sternum. Nothing like a high speed digger and well placed handle bar to make a girl hate that...

...the mens designs have one solid chest plate and zips up each side near the shirt sleeve. This design is much more protective, and can be molded for girl parts as such. It also lacks kidney belt type padding and i would like to see some light lower back and love handle protection in addition to the "turtle plate".

At the moment I rock a moto guard of solid, clear plasticy whatever and i dig it, but have to wear the kids size. I just tagged it with a save the tatas sticker.

I too am against the all-pink movement. We all know black goes with everything ladies and is 70% of my setup currently, but is also a heat collector so gray is a nice alternative. White shins and chest guard look pretty ill too. Last on color comments, I dream of black with rasta colors gloves in my size.

Measuring a large sample of girls who ride would also help things to perfection.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I second (or third) the waist belt, but I'd also like something good for my hips (any suggestions?) I tend to fall on my hips, and took a righteous spill on the flip side of a jump on A-Line at Whistler this weekend without anything but knee/elbow pads. I have a gnar abrasion on my stomach, my left boob bled, and I've got all kinds of bruises on my arms legs, back, etc. It's time to make the purchase for SURE now, so I'd love to here more and take suggestions. I saw a chick in pink Rockgardn armor when I was buying my pass, and it looked pretty comfy.

I LOVE the idea of a mudhunnie logo! Any graphic designers out there? :)

mrsjones

Chimp
Jul 26, 2010
Baltimore
1. What fit issues do you run into when trying to wear armor designed for men?
- definately not enough room for my chest. They should come in sizes by cup maybe?
- as for everything else, I'm short in stature, but built with muscle b/c I'm an athlete, so the girl's leg armor never fits. I have to wear men's medium but for my upper body stuff, I have to wear small to fit my narrow shoulders and waist. Take a hint from clothing manufacturers and carry petite, regular and tall I think would be good.

2. Are there any companies out there that currently offer women-specific amor?
- not that I am aware of...

3. What would you like to see in women-specific armor? By this I mean colors, patterns, any possible marketing strategies that would entice women to buy it as opposed to men's armor.

- I hate pink, please no more god forsaken pink ;) But seriously, I love patterns and colors and things that are vibrant and fun, just like the boys. I think variety is important.