Quantcast

Women Topless Summertime Mt. Bike Race!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Ahaha you suckers fall for it everytime....

Trail Work Pix

Went on a work party last week and took some pix. Ranger Creek just happens to be one of my favorite trails anyways, so it was cool to be able to jump on the community trail service bandwagon for a day, and my fellow volunteers all turned out to be great to work with.

Gotta tell you what though trudging up the ridge packing tools is about as tough as an average day on the roof. We hiked about 3 miles or so up about 1500 feet so we were around 2500 feet high in elevation. High up enough that we surpassed the snow level. During the trail clearing/rebuilding process we were getting snowed on, but that was sure alot better than wet rain, so it really wasn't a bother in the least.

Our primary mission was to clear the trail of "blowdown" or fallen timber. i for one was pretty happy to get to this section pictured below so as to not trog further in the sometimes icy snow.

Here is our volunteer leader getting his chainsaw ready out to cut the tree's shown way in the back behind the volunteer in the distance. In front is the big fatty buried in some snow, which took up most of our work time.

Here is a picture of the prep work that was involved in order to take "Big Fatty" out of the trail. Rocks and soil will make short work of chainsaw blade so it was imperative to clear around the log as best as we could around the cutting area. This picture shows the lower cut on "Big Fatty" about 10 feet below the trail.

And here is the upper cut on "Big Fatty". i was pretty suprised that our volunteer leader was able to cut it with only 2 well placed strategic cuts with such a small chainsaw. i was certain he was going to have to angle cut a chunk so as to be able to reach in the middle of the log.

And finally we have a picture of our completed work. It took all five of us to finally displace "Big Fatty" off the trail by rolling her down the hill. The impression of the fallen tree destroyed the section of trial that laid under the heavy weight. So we scavenged the trail area for big rocks and used them to shore up the trail by building a mini-rockery. After that we collected soil most of it from simply sluffing off from the upper slope, and packed that down as best we could to re-form the trail. Voila!

Some more pictures of the work party taken by the other guys here