Quantcast

Women's fitness magazines

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
6,143
0
Floating down the Hudson
As many of you already know, I work in the magazine field. I'm looking for feedback from women about fitness/lifestyle magazines geared toward women. What do you like? What don't you like? What would you like to see more of (stories, advice, etc)?
 

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
2,379
1
pnw -dry side
I haven't ever seen one that remotely impressed me. I subscribed to Shape years ago, but I didn't' renew. That one and most others seem like they keep recycling the same ideas over and over again. I find I can read most of the things in these magazines that interest me in 15 minutes or less, hardly worth a subscription.

Now, Men's health has a lot of good information in it, I read it every chance I can get.

Is there a magazine out there that focuses more on sport, athletic aspects of fitness instead of better buns, amazing abs, spa food and skin care? Bleah.

just my two cents, as always

geargrrl
 

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
6,143
0
Floating down the Hudson
geargrrl said:
I haven't ever seen one that remotely impressed me. I subscribed to Shape years ago, but I didn't' renew. That one and most others seem like they keep recycling the same ideas over and over again. I find I can read most of the things in these magazines that interest me in 15 minutes or less, hardly worth a subscription.

Now, Men's health has a lot of good information in it, I read it every chance I can get.

Is there a magazine out there that focuses more on sport, athletic aspects of fitness instead of better buns, amazing abs, spa food and skin care? Bleah.

just my two cents, as always

geargrrl
Thanks! This is just what I'm looking for and I really appreciate it (and feel the same way). More specifically, what would you like to see in these magazines that would make them more desireable?
 

PinkDirt

Chimp
Sep 26, 2005
1
0
I think the mag, Health is an excellent read.
I have given up on Shape and Fitness because it just seems like too many advertisements and the models are so not the norm.
I think Health is excellent because it touches on fitness and health issues combined. It shows that you can be healthy and just about any size, shape, weight.
More realistic athletes on the covers, REAL women doing real sports would be inspiring. Real women with Jobs, family responsibilities and still the ability to stay fit.
More emphasis on BEING a female athlete rather than a skinny rail model that can't eat real food in order to maintain her figure.
And overall more emphasis on BEING HEALTHY & STRONG overall starting from a young age...
This would help teach young women that sports are okay and give them self - confidence...something I think most of the current mags tend to undermine with the unrealistic images.
Oh and show that it is okay NOT to be a sun-worshipper. And how cigarette smoking not only causes disease, but WRINKLES so if health issues don't make you stop, maybe appealing to vanity will for young girls.
That new DOVE ad line is really stirring the pot, but they are trying to do this sort of thing.
 

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
6,143
0
Floating down the Hudson
Thanks, Pinkdirt! Lots of things to think about. And, in the same vain as the Dove ad, I think the new Nike ads are wonderful too. Taking a body part that is critical to what we do and loving it despite it's injuries or bruises and realizing the power that each of us hold and realizing that it's ok to be totally happy with and to worship our bodies for the way they are.
 

I Are Baboon

Run, Forrest, Run!
Aug 6, 2001
29,755
2,598
MTB New England
geargrrl said:
Now, Men's health has a lot of good information in it, I read it every chance I can get.
What about Women's Health, the Men's Health sister publication? I subscibe to Men's Health and enjoy reading it, so I imagine Women's Health would be similar. I can not find it online, but it should be at your newsstand.
 

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
6,143
0
Floating down the Hudson
I Are Baboon said:
What about Women's Health, the Men's Health sister publication? I subscibe to Men's Health and enjoy reading it, so I imagine Women's Health would be similar. I can not find it online, but it should be at your newsstand.
I think that came out within the past year. I haven't given it a close read, but it looks a little more serious and less fluffy than other women's fitness mags.
 
I happen to like Fitness - for what it is. It's a light read with lots of quick tips and some great inspirational stories of real women who got into shape etc and how they keep the weight off they've lost.

They usually have decent recipes too. But its not a sport magazine so if you expect it to have women in competitive sports then your expectations are in the wrong place.

I agree the ads are a bit much but most magazines these days are like that.

I read Muscle & Fitness Hers the first year it came out but it quickly became to steriodal.
 

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
6,260
15
Glitter Gulch
i have to say, if i read one more headline or story on madonnas sexy arm tips or how jessica simpson gets those killer legs i am going to vomit. they get paid millions to look good. i'm sure if it was my job, i could look that good too. thats my main gripe, movie start fitness tips.
 

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
2,379
1
pnw -dry side
laura said:
i have to say, if i read one more headline or story on madonnas sexy arm tips or how jessica simpson gets those killer legs i am going to vomit. they get paid millions to look good. i'm sure if it was my job, i could look that good too. thats my main gripe, movie start fitness tips.
heh. yep. If I could have a nanny, a maid, a cook and a personal trainer I'd look like that too!

Women's Health? I'll look for it.

What would I like to see? That's a tough order. Real world stuff, definately. Not just super star fitness but how real people do fitness, people I can relate to. I'm not talking about stories like the sucess stories in Shape.
But how real people that are not obsessive do fitness. Maybe real people that aren't gym rats, and that are ok with being "good enough". Women that aren't obsessed by the last 5 pounds?

I've btdt with being a gym rat ( used to competitively body build year ago, 3 hours a day in the gym) and now I just want to be healthy and fit enought to enjoy my sports, whether it be a couple of days ripping powder or 20-25 killer xc rides. I ride a lot, do stretching in front of the tube at night, try to do my errands on my bike, make good food choices...but not obsess? Would anyone want to read about people like me? Hehheh, probably not.

More annoying things - I remember one in Shape that in three pages of how to get going in XC skiing, made no mention of hypothermia. Or, bike articles that feature total dorkiness; toe clips and comfort bikes on a trail. I guess you could write that off to clueless editors.

ranting again, sorry.

geargrrl
 

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
16,689
472
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
geargrrl said:
heh. yep. If I could have a nanny, a maid, a cook and a personal trainer I'd look like that too!

Women's Health? I'll look for it.

What would I like to see? That's a tough order. Real world stuff, definately. Not just super star fitness but how real people do fitness, people I can relate to. I'm not talking about stories like the sucess stories in Shape.
But how real people that are not obsessive do fitness. Maybe real people that aren't gym rats, and that are ok with being "good enough". Women that aren't obsessed by the last 5 pounds?

I've btdt with being a gym rat ( used to competitively body build year ago, 3 hours a day in the gym) and now I just want to be healthy and fit enought to enjoy my sports, whether it be a couple of days ripping powder or 20-25 killer xc rides. I ride a lot, do stretching in front of the tube at night, try to do my errands on my bike, make good food choices...but not obsess? Would anyone want to read about people like me? Hehheh, probably not.

More annoying things - I remember one in Shape that in three pages of how to get going in XC skiing, made no mention of hypothermia. Or, bike articles that feature total dorkiness; toe clips and comfort bikes on a trail. I guess you could write that off to clueless editors.

ranting again, sorry.

geargrrl
LOL! I'd love to have all that help around the house...I'd have SO much time for riding :D

I would like to read similar things to you (and your experiences). I definitely don't want to obsess about weight training or riding, but I have found that most of the fitness magazines I have picked up (Shape in particular) are full of fluff...if I want that, I'll read Cosmo.

I'd also like to see articles focused on longterm health benefits or stretching and/or exercising and highlight actual female athletes and their stories. I realize advertising sells, but I hate getting a magazine that's more than 50% ads. I'd also love to see articles about mothers exercising (both with their babies/toddlers/children, etc. and during & after pregnancy).

I'm sure I'll think of more, but that's all I've got for now.
 

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
3,523
0
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I like to read some of the mtb. rags but none of them have anything to with women. There are only men in all of the articles and no comments from women on the test rides...am I asking too much to get some tips from women or see some shots of women taking demo bikes out for test rides?
 

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
16,689
472
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Snacks said:
I like to read some of the mtb. rags but none of them have anything to with women. There are only men in all of the articles and no comments from women on the test rides...am I asking too much to get some tips from women or see some shots of women taking demo bikes out for test rides?
I'd LOVE to see that as well!!! It certainly would be nice to be included in more MTB mags!!!
 

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
6,143
0
Floating down the Hudson
TreeSaw said:
I realize advertising sells, but I hate getting a magazine that's more than 50% ads.
That's the unfortunate thing about magazines. Subcriptions don't keep a magazine running, ads do. And the worst part, as an editor, is having to write about someone just because they advertise. That's why the advertising and editorial departments are often referred to as Church and State.

I like how a few health magazines have taken the high road and refused to advertise cigarettes and some other choice products. We just need to see a lot more of this.
 

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
16,689
472
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
bluebug32 said:
I like how a few health magazines have taken the high road and refused to advertise cigarettes and some other choice products. We just need to see a lot more of this.
Definitely...my guess is many of the people who are reading health magazines aren't smokers so why bother?
 

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
7,797
0
Portland, OR
Snacks said:
I like to read some of the mtb. rags but none of them have anything to with women. There are only men in all of the articles and no comments from women on the test rides...am I asking too much to get some tips from women or see some shots of women taking demo bikes out for test rides?
Check out Dirtrag. They often have women test riders writing reviews.
 

durtgurl

Chimp
Aug 30, 2005
3
0
Most women's sport magazine are very mainstream in regard to the activities that women pursue. Running, hiking, road riding, organized sport activities, tris and marathons... I'd like to see more coverage in regard to more extreme/adventourous not mainstream activities such as MTB Riding (not neccasarily racing), climbing, canyonering, mountain climbing, backcountry pursuits either solo or in groups and articles on what it means to women to be outside, the connections they feel and the sense of accomplishment. Not how to get fab abs in two weeks. I'd like to see more on nutrition and training as well and philosophical rantings are always good whether it be personal or environmental. There is a magazine called Dandelion out of Colorado that is for women and it taps into the culture of women who get outside to get dirty and have adventures. It also has articles on health, nutition, gear..but a lot of the content is stories written by women about their experiences. It's the closet thing I've found to a good magazine for women who like to get out but aren't that concerned with looking cute and having a hot bod..www.dandelionmag.com.
 

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
16,689
472
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
bluebug32 said:
I really like Dirtrag. I've thought about trying to do some freelancing for them.

What bike mags. do you mud hunnies like to read?
I used to like to read Decline and ???I can't remember the name of the other one right now and also read DirtRag sometimes.
 

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
2,379
1
pnw -dry side
bluebug32 said:
I really like Dirtrag. I've thought about trying to do some freelancing for them.

What bike mags. do you mud hunnies like to read?
if reading means spending more that 15 minutes flipping through it while I have a sandwich, my answer is "none".
 

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
2,379
1
pnw -dry side
that Dandelion looks pretty interesting. I will have to see if my library has it, or if I can get a single copy at the bookstore.
 

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
1,507
0
south lake tahoe, ca
bluebug32 said:
I really like Dirtrag. I've thought about trying to do some freelancing for them.

What bike mags. do you mud hunnies like to read?
i really like dirtrag. it's my favorite.
and i like to look at decline when i can find it.
 

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
1,507
0
south lake tahoe, ca
bluebug32 said:
ahhh....I'll have to look for it

We need a magazine for women who mountain bike. It would be fun to start one.
that is a brilliant idea. we should write a zine regarding women and biking.... that would be awesome. anyone have a good title suggestion???
 

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
17,411
0
SF
amydalayna said:
that is a brilliant idea. we should write a zine regarding women and biking.... that would be awesome. anyone have a good title suggestion???
I'lll write a column, like dumb things I have seen men do around women bikers...
 

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
17,411
0
SF
amydalayna said:
oh. you can't stop there. tell more!
Well, I remember the weasely guy I used to work with would knock down the other salesmen to talk with the attractive customers (and how he had to bite his tongue when a professional model who was a classmate came in to talk to me).

Or how my buddy's ex-girlfriend would go on 'biking' dates with new guys, and how she would ride them into the ground (one even puked).
 

cyclemom

Chimp
Oct 1, 2005
5
0
I put out a news letter for junior women called
Junior Women's Cycling News. I've been publishing it for almost 2 years now. It caters to cross country racers in Colorado. Most of the girls and their parents like to read it, mostly because their names and pictures appear in it often. I cover races, nutrition, skills, training and have rider profiles. Sometimes I think of it as Velonews for girls. We have a web site where you can get some of the back issues. This site was put together by chloe Forsman as part of her graduation project. It is alittle out of date. Here is the link.
http://www.pedalgirlpedal.com/

One thing that I would like is more coverage of the world of professional women athletes. Velonews really doesn't cover the women's pro road or mountain athletes well at all IMO.
 

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
17,411
0
SF
bluebug32 said:
Biking dates, huh? Interesting concept.
I been on a few biking dates. One time I was going to do 20 miles on a rest day and she wanted to ride on the bike path (lasted one date). Another girl just started racing, and we would also ride on my rest days (lasted 6 months, I think to the end of racing season).