Quantcast

Women's hybrid bike - ideas?

Apr 11, 2006
Hi all,

Has anyone got any tips for a good women's hybrid? I haven't got much of a budget - up to £250.

Looking for something good quality, lightweight. Couldn't care less about suspension.

Thanks!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
why a hybrid? One school of thought is that hybridsaren't "good" at everything. They aren't great for road riding, and they suck for mountain biking. So consider whether she needs/wants a "comfort" bike, a road bike or a mountain bike.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
The Trek FX series are by far the best "hybrid" bikes out there. Rigid fork, similar geometry to a road bike, but without the drops, very comfortable to ride.

I think a 7.2Fx would be in your price range. The women's model comes in a sweet black with pink graphics that looks pretty cool.

Hybrids rock. Comfort bikes suck, buy a cruiser. But a good hybrid is laid back and fast, dare I say cool?....make sure to wear capri pants to really piss everyone here off.

The Ito

Apr 11, 2006
I've looked into what my girlfriend and I would use a bike for, and a hybrid seems to be the best option.

The Treks look good, if a little expensive (at least as far as my budget is concerned).

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
we have an older Trek Multi-Track in our stable it has 700c wheels, and I often run it with Cyclocross tires, and sometimes it's ran with citi-slicks, great versatile bike for just riding enjoyment.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
gavstephenson said:
Any cheaper options out there?
We don't know what your local stores carry.

Go find some NOS (new, old stock), clearance, last year's models, whatever. Find some options in your price range that your girl took for a test ride to make sure it works for her. Then tell us what you found and we'll give opinions.

That said, I wanted my girl to get a 2005 (NOS) Trek7.5fx... awesome bike, but they didn't have it in her size. Didn't really matter cuz while I thought she'd want a hybrid, she chose a roadbike.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
My suggestion: either buy a road bike or a mtn. bike.

My first new bike in my twenties was a Gary Fisher Zebrano (hybrid). I used it for only about six months and then went for a mountain bike. In my experience, hybrids can be unweildy because you sit very upright on them, plus the tires are tall. They usually come with a cheap front shock that eats up a good portion of your pedal effort. Some even have seatposts with a shock in them that eats up even more of your energy. I tried to take my hybrid on the grass once and that was pointless. I couldn't get hardly anywhere.

Go for an inexpensive road bike or a mtn. bike... or save up and wait... don't buy a hybrid unless you are positive you won't want to progress to another level or riding! (Or unless you are sure you will be able to afford a better bike later.)

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
My suggestion: either buy a road bike or a mtn. bike.

My first new bike in my twenties was a Gary Fisher Zebrano (hybrid). I used it for only about six months and then went for a mountain bike. In my experience, hybrids can be unweildy because you sit very upright on them, plus the tires are tall. They usually come with a cheap front shock that eats up a good portion of your pedal effort. Some even have seatposts with a shock in them that eats up even more of your energy. I tried to take my hybrid on the grass once and that was pointless. I couldn't get hardly anywhere.

Go for an inexpensive road bike or a mtn. bike... or save up and wait... don't buy a hybrid unless you are positive you won't want to progress to another level or riding! (Or unless you are sure you will be able to afford a better bike later.)
I second this to a point. My girlfriend started on a hybrid & used it for two years. She soon grew out of it after that into a nice road bike. I'm not sure if I would of put her on a road bike right away she would of found the sport as enjoyable, but she is easily overwhelmed!

A hybrid is made to be pure recreational & in doing so you are comfortable but it is very non-efficient.

Back to the point.. go to a few of your local bike shops. Test ride, test ride, test ride. They might have some '05 models left, but probably not this far into the season. Price shop & compare. If you have more questions about parts/quality let us know!

Apr 11, 2006