Quantcast

Women's MTB clinics in the Northeast?

Veggie Girl

Chimp
Oct 1, 2006
Schenectady, NY
I noticed the Sugoi 2007 series is huggin' the West Coast pretty tightly. Can anyone recommend some women's MTB clinics in the Northeast (preferably driving distance from Albany/New York State)?

Veggie Girl

Chimp
Oct 1, 2006
Schenectady, NY
Thanks, Tree Saw!

I checked out the GLTR website but the only MTB event they're currently listing is in Pomona, CA. Perhaps springtime will bring more dates to the East Coast, as well as warmer temps?:)

BTW, my friend Kimpossible mentioned the folks at Coyote Hill do women's MTB clinics. However, she recently e-mailed them to see if they will be offering any bike clinic weekends this year and hasn't heard back. (I guess that means NO!)

Anyone know the scoop on that program, or others they'd recommend?

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
Hi, I went to the Mtbikechick clinic at Vernon, NJ aka. Diablo. It was great. I currently ride with Ellen White, a former mtbikechick, now on TeamCampmor . We have had several successful "All Girls Day" ride clinic and are currently putting together racing, riding, clinic and trail maintainence schedules as I write. If you are doing any of the Campmor H2H race series, we are developing an "All Girls Day" pre race day ride of some of the courses. We also want to offer a one day skills clinic. All is in the works. To see some of our clinic/ ride reviews, go to mtbnj.com,...forums,.....female riders threads,...and look around. Also, go to JORBA.org and look at the threads for "clinics". I'll post more later. PS. Looks good for a "demo day with Rocky Mountain bikes" at Diablo,....for girls only. :cheers:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
After talking to Treesaw on the phone the other day I'm sure we will have a women's bike clinic at Whiteface this season.
As things get finalized I will keep you posted.

Downhill Mike

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Just a quick update on the clinic scene in the Northeast. It is looking good for a DH clinic at Whiteface in July. I don't want to get everyone's hopes us just yet, but it's looking like we will have an excellent instructor (Pro women DHer) and some really great equipment and trails to utilize. DHMike & I are working together to finalize some plans and we'll have the information out ASAP.

Just out of curiousity, a couple of questions:

1. Would riders be interested in a package deal (instruction fee, lift ticket, bike rental, gear rental) that also includes lodging, no lodging or perhaps offer both?

2. How much would you be willing to pay for said package? (Ballpark...we don't want to shock anyone with a fee).

I am SO psyched about this and am eager to get people registered. I have been chatting with our instructor and she sounds AWESOME and is equally as excited to get out to the area and ride and help promote the women's scene in the Northeast!!! YEAH!!!! This clinic is going to ROCK!!!!

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Treesaw, I'm interested in the Whiteface clinic. Also, NJ Jess, please keep us updated on Diablo possibilities - that's a much closer mountain to me.

I'm pretty well set for gear (I think) - have an '07 Big FSR III to ride and a FF Helmet, Dainese Safety Jacket Next, Race Face Knee/Shin to hopefully keep me in one piece

So my interest would be more along the lines of a lodging/clinic combo deal. I have no idea what to even suggest as a price point, since this would be a brand new experience for me.

Also, I assume that the July clinic at Whiteface is not conflicting with Monkeyfest????

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Treesaw, I'm interested in the Whiteface clinic. Also, NJ Jess, please keep us updated on Diablo possibilities - that's a much closer mountain to me.

I'm pretty well set for gear (I think) - have an '07 Big FSR III to ride and a FF Helmet, Dainese Safety Jacket Next, Race Face Knee/Shin to hopefully keep me in one piece

So my interest would be more along the lines of a lodging/clinic combo deal. I have no idea what to even suggest as a price point, since this would be a brand new experience for me.

Also, I assume that the July clinic at Whiteface is not conflicting with Monkeyfest????
We're looking at July 7th for the date and we'll have a few different packages available so you should be set. I'll definitely keep you posted with all the details. Also, I live about an hour and a half south of Whiteface and I have plenty of space if you end up needing a place to stay you're more than welcome.

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
We're looking at July 7th for the date and we'll have a few different packages available so you should be set. I'll definitely keep you posted with all the details. Also, I live about an hour and a half south of Whiteface and I have plenty of space if you end up needing a place to stay you're more than welcome.
Thanks for the offer on a place to stay...that would be awesome and may end up making it financially feasible pending the announcement of the clinic prices. Will look forward to more info as it becomes available!

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
Hi there, I'm still working the schedules out,...races, rides, clinics, trail maintainence, and gardening. Okay, the gardening is simply throwing seeds down this year. If it is meant to grow, it will on its own.

Therefore, so far we have an All Girls Day ride on April 15th at Kittatiny State Park in Andover, NJ. Simply put, it's a "remove rust" ride from the winter. The course is not extremely techy, but not everyone will be in shape, nor will there bikes be race ready. It will be beginner to sport level. One can use a XC, DH, or an SS if you want to test yourself. More and continued information will be posted on the Female Riders thread of the Forum board,...Mtbnj.com

We are also going to hold, All Girls Ride Prerace rides to the first 3 Campmor H2H race series venues. It will entail riding the race course and learning faster/safer race lines for your style of riding the day before the race. The Campmor H2H race series can also be found on Mtbnj.com

I am also working with Lar Tribus, world class mountainbiker, freestyle, BMXer for an All Girls Ride at his Mountain Bike Country Club in Northern New Jersey. I hope to make it more Super D and freestyle orientated.

Furthermore, discussing having a DemoDay with Rocky Mountain Bikes at Diablo.

Hope to ride with you on the trails! Jess

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
Yea, post any of your clinics or races on the site. I heard about the free girls day Downhill at Whiteface last year. I would have gone if I had someone to go with. It seems like a neat course. Not too many DH clinics for women too! Keep me posted. Smiles!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Yea, post any of your clinics or races on the site. I heard about the free girls day Downhill at Whiteface last year. I would have gone if I had someone to go with. It seems like a neat course. Not too many DH clinics for women too! Keep me posted. Smiles!
Definitely! If you're interested in hitting a Free day for ladies, shoot me a PM and I will see if I can go!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The date Treesaw and I were planning is July 7th.
July 7th is our 1st of 4 ladies day. So lift tickets would be free on Saturday. That should keep a package price very reasonable.
Also, if equipment is needed we have new Giant Faith 2's for dh bikes, new Giant Pistol 1 (agressive x-c/all mountain) & hard tails, chest protectors, full face helmets, knee/shin and elbow/forearm pads all right at the mountain.

If anyone wants to see pics of Whiteface, trails, etc. just send me an e-mail at downhillime@highpeaksma.com

Downhill Mike
www.whiteface.com