Quantcast

Women's specific saddles?

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
My girlfriend recently WON and Iron Horse Warrior XC bike a few months ago in a raffle, and I just started getting her out on the trails (so excited, you have no idea!). Thankfully she LOVES riding XC with me and is always asking when we're going next. Only problem is that the saddle that came with the bike is a men's saddle and isnt too comfortable she says. I want to surprise her with a new saddle, so I've been looking at SDG and WTB's saddles (cause I can get a discount) to find a decent women's specific saddle. Any input on what you ladies are running for XC saddles would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
It's a lot of trial and error.

It might help to go to a specialized dealer - they have a little thing to measure the spacing on your butt bones. Many of the Specialized saddles come in three widths so you can find the appropriate one.

I personally have found that I don't like a lot of womens specific saddles. Sometimes they're too wide or squishy. And too squishy can be worse than not squishy enough - seriously.

Anyway - also let her know there are three things that are key to getting your butt used to riding:

1. Find a saddle that works for your body.
2. Learn to stand more. Always on descents and then stand and pedal every now and then on climbs to keep the blood flowing.
3. Time. It gets WAY easier once you have #1 and #2 dialed, but if you take a winter break, your butt is going to have a readjustment period again. I don't know anyone who doesn't go through that unless they ride year round. I rode spin class all winter and those saddles didn't do a damn thing to prepare my butt bones for real riding. ;)