Quantcast

Women's Sports (Rock Climbing)

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
The local news did a bit about women's sports (they covered golf, biking, and climbing).
The news crew went to the climbing gym I go to and climbed with Lillian (really nice lady). They are only showing one little section of the gym (it's pretty large), and I know some of the chicks in the vid.

Supposedly, rock climbing is a women's sport. This is because we have to learn technique to get through things as opposed to just muscling up through it.

Anyone here been climbing? I know that some of you mudhunnies are in upstate NY.... so the Gunks are available and a *great* place to climb (stop by Rock and Snow in New Paltz).

Anyway.... there are vids in the link.

Rock Climbing

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
I'd definitely agree about rock climbing being more of a "woman's sport". I have rocked climbed a little bit, but I have a lot of friends who take it very seriously. When I first started, I had someone explain to me that women climb like "spiders" whereas men climb like "apes". Women pick their way through technical sections and have to learn appropriate technique (and be clever) in order to do certain climbs. Men can kind of just grab hold and use a lot of upper body strength to heave themselves up onto things.

Not that men can't be equally as technical.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
I would fully recommend women to rock climb...unless, of course, you're afraid of heights...and even then, you may overcome it...

it's been a while since I climbed, but I had many veteran climbers tell me that even after only two months of climbing that my technique for many routes was more technical and smooth than men who had been climbing for years...and it was explained the same way, due to the fact that I had to maneuver my way up routes rather than just pull myself up with my strength, or lack there of...

rock climbing definitely gets my two thumbs up!! :biggrin:

Y

yadadada

I climbed in an indoor gym during high school and then went to Maine to climb. i haven't stayed with it, but maybe i'll do some research and see where to go in Rochester to climb. My ex's brother did/does a ton of rock climbing and mountain climbing, including summitting Mt Everest. Through him I heard of a lot of guys at his climbing gym, and fewer women. i've always thought it was a cool sport, but i'm not the best when it comes to heights.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
As for the heights thing......

I am definitely scared of heights.

When I first went, and was 20 ft off the ground, I was holding on for my dear life!

I am better now, but sometimes get scared when I am exposed.
It just depends on my mindset for the day. Some days are good (like when I bring new people out... I focus more on them), some days are bad ( I slipped and demanded that my belayer let me down NOW... which he didn't.... and I was toast for the rest of the day).

As for tips, Bluebug"

-rely on your legs. Your legs are stronger than your arms, let them push you up.

-hang from your arms, as straight as you can.. get under the hold. If you have your arms bent, you are wasting energy.

-make absolutely positively sure that your gear has been checked, and you check other people's gear to see if everything is safe.

-trust your rock climbing shoes. They are sticky as all get out, and you will be putting your big toe on some holds that are no bigger than a dime. It's a weird feeling, but you get used to it.

-relax when you can. If there is a point on the route that you are climbing where you feel completely stable, just sit there for a minute and catch your breath, extend your fingers (trust me on this one), and think about where you will go next

-sequencing: look at the route before you go up it. identify how you are going to go up it. Look for spots where you can relax. Look for spots where you might have trouble (overhangs, long reaches, small holds). This saves a lot of time and energy.

-have fun. I always thought it was kind of weird that I took a class on how to climb. When I was a kid, nobody taught me how to have fun, but now that we are adults, it seems that we have to be re-taught some things. Kinda silly, huh?

-don't worry about what others think. everyone starts out really awkward. the guys start out more awkward than the women...

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
just thought i would interject here for a second....women climbers are badass....not only is there inborn finess and an inate ability to problem solve instead of throwing yourself at it...but women have a much better strength to weight ratio than men which can be very helpful.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
but women have a much better strength to weight ratio than men which can be very helpful.
In their legs, not upper body but if you are relying on technique vs. brute strength then the leg strength is what matters.

I wouldn't mind getting into Rock climbing myself but just don't see where Mohshee and I would find the time to squeeze that in. Or maybe I'm just hesitant because I know that's one sport she'd probably be better at than me ;)

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
My wife has been indoor climbing a bunch of times and really likes it. We have an indoor wall about 1/2 mile from our house, and it's a great place to go in the winter especially. :)