Quantcast

Wompatuck (MA) Riders: Please Read!

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
If you ride/hike/run/enjoy Wompatuck SP please take the time to read this, we’re looking for your help. I’m an active member of SeMass NEMBA as the VP for Wompatuck, member of FOW as the Trails representative, and sit on the FOW Trail Committee discussed below. When healthy (injured this year) I ride Wompatuck 2-4 times per week. I learned to MTB in Wompy over 15 years ago and continue to enjoy the park so Wompy is near and dear to me.

As some of you may now some industrious individuals have cut several pieces of new trail & built new terrain features in Wompatuck this spring & summer. This has occurred without the blessing of DCR, NEMBA, or FOW (Friends of Wompatuck). Some may refer to this as “rogue” building; I’ll let you make up your minds on this matter, I’m not here to pass judgment.

That said, DCR is under some serious pressure right now to resolve this issue i.e. prevent further building of unauthorized trails/features. Recent DCR regulations have greatly increased the paperwork burden required to maintain the existing trail network and reroute/cut trail as deemed necessary or as desired by DCR. FOW has reconvened our Trail Committee to assist Wompatuck’s park supervisor with this process which will include permit applications to local conversation commissions in 3 towns, applications for maintenance of trails in wetland areas, coordination with DCR’s Natural Heritage program to name the big hurdles that must be overcome to continue work on Wompatuck’s trail network.

Rather than just close these cut trails outright, DCR staff and the FOW Trail Committee want to reach out to these builders. Obviously they’re not afraid to put sweat equity into the places they ride and we would really like to harness this energy and incorporate this into approved trail projects in Wompatuck. These individuals, if amenable, would also provide perspective on the type of trail and terrain various people are interested in. Wompatuck’s DCR staff recognizes the danger of trail closures to all users, especially mountain bikers (think the Fells and Lynn Woods); once a precedent is established and environment is created where re-opening trails simply does not occur. This is exactly what DCR, FOW, and NEMBA want to avoid in Wompatuck.

So if you’re involved or now who might be, encourage them to reach out. In the interest of remaining anonymous, feel free to PM me here or email at teusden at gmail. I will respect your privacy regardless of your level of involvement or distance from trail cutting that’s occurring.

Tyler

p.s. you can follow a more local discussion on the NEMBA forums @ http://nemba.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25820