Quantcast

Wondering if anyone has a good recipe...........

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
good luck!

i ate it once, and liked it. very similar to black pudding, i thought.
I had a month to try a plethora of black and white puddings when we visited Ireland/GB and I found a lot of tasty ones and alot of nasty ones. It seemed to be a crapshoot. Didn't try haggis, though.......... someday.... someday.....

-S.S.-

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
mack said:
whats that?

haggis-
Traditional Haggis (from Evelyn Hlabse, esh2@po.CWRU.Edu)

1 sheep's pluck (stomach bag)
2 lb.. dry oatmeal
1 lb. suet
1 lb. lamb's liver
2 1/2 cups stock
1 large chopped onion
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, Jamaica pepper and salt

Boil liver and parboil the onion, then mince them together. Lightly brown the oatmeal. Mix all ingredients together. Fill the sheep's pluck with the mixture pressing it down to remove all the air, and sew up securely. Prick the haggis in several places so that it does not burst. Place haggis in boiling water and boil slowly for 4-5 hours. Serves approximately 12.

black pudding-

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 quart pig's blood
* 12 ounces bread crumbs
* 1/2 lb. suet
* Salt and pepper, to taste
* 1 quart milk
* 1 cup cooked barley
* 1 cup dry rolled oats
* 1 ounce ground mint

PREPARATION:
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl; pour into a large kettle or Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Pour into a wide shallow bowl and season again if necessary. Chill thoroughly, until firm. When cold it may be cut into slices and fried.

from: http://southernfood.about.com/od/recipes_southern/r/blbb395.htm

and just in case you're curious as to what suet is-

su·et n.The hard fatty tissues around the kidneys of cattle and sheep, used in cooking and for making tallow.

i think i'm going to be sick. i really can't imagine in my wildest dreams how that could be good.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
narlus said:
good luck!

i ate it once, and liked it. very similar to black pudding, i thought.
Uhg....I ate black puddin' without even knowing what it was the last time I was in Ireland....... :dead:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
laura said:
haggis-
<snip>i think i'm going to be sick. i really can't imagine in my wildest dreams how that could be good.
You should let down your guard. Live a little. :blah: Might find you actually like it...........

And it's good not to waste. If you're gonna kill for the meat, might as well use the blood, organs, glands, etc....... :dead:

-S.S.-

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
SkaredShtles said:
And it's good not to waste. If you're gonna kill for the meat, might as well use the blood, organs, glands, etc....... :dead:

-S.S.-
i agree whole heartedly, so i choose not to eat meat.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
N8 said:
You might also like boudin cajun sausage.
My wife ordered boudin noir in Normandy when we were on holiday in France - she didn't know what it was until it showed up on the plate. She saw it, got a look of horror on her face, and said "That's blood sausage......."

She refused to eat it, so I got to. Have to say, it was the best black pudding I had in Europe. :drool:

-S.S.-

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
llkoolkeg said:
This shiite sounds more like a stunt on Fear Factor than a recipe for a culinary delight.
don't knock it until you've tried it. the time i had it, it was far tastier than i had imagined.