Quantcast

Woo hoo, my first century!

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I got up this morning feeling a bit frisky 'cause I wasn't going to be able to make it to my first choice to pop my century cherry, the Triple Bypass. But I was still set on attempting my first century. So, I headed towards Rabbit Ears Pass. I set a very mellow pace and got up to the West Summit of Rabbit Ears w/o stopping (around 6mph). Stretched a bit when I got up there and had breakfast (Odwella Superfood and a bagel). Everything felt good so I thought, "Ok, I guess it will be today." So my first century was on a ride called the Gore Gruel which I didn't originally think was a century. LO and Serial Midget might know this ride. It's not the Triple, but still no slouch :D

Here's a link to an event involving the ride: http://www.rockypeakproductions.com/Tour de Steamboat site/

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Congrats to you. Next weekend (if work allows) will be a real test for me.Friday night will be a twilight crit,Sat is RAIN,Ride Across Indiana which is 168 miles and Sunday is a MTB race....do believe my legs will be cooked :dead:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well congratulations on your first century, it a great feeling knowing that you are capable of doing something the vast majority of cyclists can't. While, I am not familiar with your route I do know any century that involves sustained climbs at 6 MPH ain't easy. You've earned your spandex. :p

The one thing I always liked about riding the rockies was the pay off, pedal your ass off and get a nice gravity assist for your effort. :thumb:

As far as food goes - I've seen both extremes. I prefer to pack my own food and only stop for water. In my area there are not too many organized rides, I'll often carry a centuries worth of food and water on my back.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Congrats!:cool:

Been a while since I've put one down - I'm waaaaay overdue. Now that I have a buddy that lives at Snoqualmie Pass, I have a great setup for one. It's 55-60 miles from my house to his, so a nice rest stop before I turn around for home should do wonders for me. I have a couple days off mid-week, so I may give it a go. There's some stores along the way, so I can pack lightly and buy my food on the fly. I'M PSYCHED!!!:D

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Way to go.....definately feels like an accomplishment. Myself have done 2 this year. Solvang Century and the Ride Around the Bear.....here in CA.

Maybe I will start thinking about a Double Century for next year :confused: :confused:

mtnbikej

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Paully! Rocky is so proud of you! Paully!

That's awesome bro!

Are you going to do the Tour de Steamboat? Maybe we'll come up there for that event?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
LordOpie said:
Paully! Rocky is so proud of you! Paully!

That's awesome bro!

Are you going to do the Tour de Steamboat? Maybe we'll come up there for that event?
Thanx everyone for the BigUp :D

LO: I just did it, I don't feel the need to pay $$ to do it again. I think my next one will be "Where the hell is Maybell" century. It's an out and back to Maybell from Craig. I think it's 100 miles. It's a pretty flat ride.

LO, did you do the Triple? Wasn't that this weekend?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I didn't do the Triple, I rode my mtb instead. Ironic, isn't it?

My beautiful lady and I are thinking about doing the TdS... will you still be in Steamboat then or will you have moved to Golden?

mtnbikej said:
Maybe I will start thinking about a Double Century for next year :confused:
I hear at great Double is the STP (seattle to Portland)

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
LordOpie said:
I didn't do the Triple, I rode my mtb instead. Ironic, isn't it?

My beautiful lady and I are thinking about doing the TdS... will you still be in Steamboat then or will you have moved to Golden?
Nope, I'll be in Golden by then. Infact I'm coming down on Mon to finalize my rental and some transfer credits at the school.

On another note, it take a huge ride like that to finalized some minor tweaks to make your bike "fit like a glove". I noticed my hands going numb w/ too much preasure on the outside of my palm. I set the lever straight to the drops for this ride and had it angled inwards a bit before. I think I'm going to switch it back to the "toe in" setup 'cause there was also preasure on my wrist having it straight. I'm pretty certain that the natural ergo friendly position is slightly toe'd in. Lastly, I think I'd like to get a slightly squishier seat. I'm running the Koobe Tri which is rated as medium firm for the tri guys who jump from swim to bike w/o changing into bike shorts. I still find it a bit too hard (maybe the gel inside has hardened like fake boobs do). Towards the end, I just didn't want to sit down anymore :eek:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
nice job!

I did my 1st one July 3rd, it was supported - 30 or so people w/a sag wagon. We stopped at a little store at mile 57, as we started back up, I felt pretty bonked,
was in no mans land, missed a turn, got lost - ended up doing the last 46 miles solo

Bikecrasher

Monkey
Sep 24, 2002
Tacoma, Wa
Cool, I've had a road bike for just over a year now. I didn't ride much until this spring where I did a couple of supported century rides in Washington. My 1st turned out to be 118 miles w/ 6,500 ft elevation gain! It got easier from there. I did the one day Seattle to Portland last weekend (205 miles)
and it took me 13 hours. I busted out the 1st 100 miles in under 5.5 hrs, but at the 150 mile mark my back started cramping and my pace slowed. Only my feet and back hurt afterwards. Lesson learned, don't ride over 200 miles in $19 shoes and $50 Supergo special pedals!

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Bikecrasher said:
Cool, I've had a road bike for just over a year now. I didn't ride much until this spring where I did a couple of supported century rides in Washington. My 1st turned out to be 118 miles w/ 6,500 ft elevation gain! It got easier from there. I did the one day Seattle to Portland last weekend (205 miles)
and it took me 13 hours. I busted out the 1st 100 miles in under 5.5 hrs, but at the 150 mile mark my back started cramping and my pace slowed. Only my feet and back hurt afterwards. Lesson learned, don't ride over 200 miles in $19 shoes and $50 Supergo special pedals!
DOUBLE! Friggin' sweet man! Was it pretty flat or did it have many passes? It's the damn passes that'll kill ya. Not only are they steep, but you tend to have less air to suck when you're up there too. It's like a :nuts:

Bikecrasher

Monkey
Sep 24, 2002
Tacoma, Wa
It was only 2,000ft elevation gain for the entire thing, so it was pretty flat. But the 8,000 riders participating kept you on your toes (only 2,000 for the 1 day)!

dok9874

Chimp
Nov 10, 2004
Houston, Texas
I've done four centuries in the last year, including one 120 miler, and I'm new to the sport since last August. The last one I did was this past weekend and finished in a smidgen under 6 hours, my best so far. Anyone is capable of a century ride with a little bit of training and the right mental attitude!

I'm considering the All Guts No Glory 250 mile one day ride starting out of Houston, Tx in the beginning of August, just to see how far I can go.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
dok9874 said:
I've done four centuries in the last year, including one 120 miler, and I'm new to the sport since last August. The last one I did was this past weekend and finished in a smidgen under 6 hours, my best so far. Anyone is capable of a century ride with a little bit of training and the right mental attitude!

I'm considering the All Guts No Glory 250 mile one day ride starting out of Houston, Tx in the beginning of August, just to see how far I can go.
Oh my god, the heat! Yuck!

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
splat said:
Congrats on your first! :thumb: feels good doesn't it ?

when i was single I did more centuries going to visit chicks from school.

one even involed 110 Mile Out to visit , Spend the Night ( no Nookie :( ) 110 miles Back the next day.
Yeah, it feels good. Makes me want to do more of them. Maybe in the fall when school starts and the heat mellows out a bit.
Hey splat, think you coulda made it back if you did get some? ;)

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Congrats! I'm so jealous. :) I've gotten bit by the roadie bug and I don't htink it'll leave me in the near future. Us CO folks should all go riding sometime. Of course I'm not as experienced so a century is a bit beyond my current abilities i think. :p

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I did a century ride on back roads with a friend today. I have been thinking about taking my Gaint XTC on a 400 mile tour pulling a bob trailer. To that end I have been putting on some miles on my XC bike with 1.75 cheapie (Toninator Specials $9.99) tires at 60 PSI, with the racks and little luggage deal the formerly 24 LB XC bike now weighs a hefty 32 LBS. To get the full on effect I also wore my Azonic baggies since that will be what I wear when I tour.

The results... 18 MPH flat is not easy to maintain, I think it might be the tires. My climbs and descents are noticably slower, I pedaled 7 2 to 3 mile 500 foot climbs at 4 to 5 MPH!!! DH speeds never exceeded 40 MPH - my road bike easily takes the same decents at close to 50. I think my new tires might suck. :dead:

Anyhow my results where very similar to yours - 113 miles, 7:50:31 ride time, 14.55 average speed, 18 miles of climbing, 3500 feet of elevation gain.

Parts of this ride are on forrest access roads so I can't duplicate it on the road bike... anyhow, it was all fun. Except the last 2 climbs. :dead:

On the plus side... I was running a SID 63mm fork, between that and the 1.75s the ride was pretty plush. :)

dok9874

Chimp
Nov 10, 2004
Houston, Texas
COmtbiker12 said:
Congrats! I'm so jealous. :) I've gotten bit by the roadie bug and I don't htink it'll leave me in the near future. Us CO folks should all go riding sometime. Of course I'm not as experienced so a century is a bit beyond my current abilities i think. :p
Nonsense! I rode my first century only about 2 months after I first got on a road bike. And no, I hadn't been riding anything else before that, just played an occasional hockey game. My longest training ride before that ride was only 63 miles. I followed a 7 week program that Chris Carmichael had up on the Lance Armstrong website last fall to prepare me for the ride.

After you ride 60 miles, the rest of the ride just becomes a number. :)

(oh, and the All Guts No Glory in August starts at 4 a.m. - so you can get a huge chunk of the mileage out of the way before the real heat kicks in!)

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Serial Midget said:
I did a century ride on back roads with a friend today. I have been thinking about taking my Gaint XTC on a 400 mile tour pulling a bob trailer. To that end I have been putting on some miles on my XC bike with 1.75 cheapie (Toninator Specials $9.99) tires at 60 PSI, with the racks and little luggage deal the formerly 24 LB XC bike now weighs a hefty 32 LBS. To get the full on effect I also wore my Azonic baggies since that will be what I wear when I tour.

The results... 18 MPH flat is not easy to maintain, I think it might be the tires. My climbs and descents are noticably slower, I pedaled 7 2 to 3 mile 500 foot climbs at 4 to 5 MPH!!! DH speeds never exceeded 40 MPH - my road bike easily takes the same decents at close to 50. I think my new tires might suck. :dead:

Anyhow my results where very similar to yours - 113 miles, 7:50:31 ride time, 14.55 average speed, 18 miles of climbing, 3500 feet of elevation gain.

Parts of this ride are on forrest access roads so I can't duplicate it on the road bike... anyhow, it was all fun. Except the last 2 climbs. :dead:

On the plus side... I was running a SID 63mm fork, between that and the 1.75s the ride was pretty plush. :)
I think you might like my next build considering the backroads thing. I'm turning my Cove Handjob into a CX bike, sorta. She'll have standard mtn triple w/ a 12-32 in the back and 24/34/46 triple front. I've just finished the wheel build using Hayes/Hugi 32 front and King ISO 32 rear to Open Pros and Michelin Jet in 30mm rubber, Avid Mech discs powered by DA STI shifter/brakes and XTR tranny. I'm going to put on carbon drop bars, seatpost and cranks. I'm hoping it comes in around 20#s w/ an '01 or '02 Sid Race at 65mm travel :D
If it turns out and rides well, I'll keep it in that config and have the frame and fork repainted high gloss black w/ black parts and blue ano accents :D

Edit: I'll have a pic for ya when it's together, in say another month or so.