Quantcast

wood transitions

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
I am planning on building a sort of jump box this winter to ride next season and I want it to feel like a dirt jump, but made of wood. I have everything figured out as to how i am going to make it, except for the transition. I ride bmx, and would be hitting the jump at fairly fast pace. I was thinking 7' 8 inches for the launch and a 8' 6 inches for the landing. if anybody has ever experimented with this, and knows of a more ideal transition for either the landing or the launch let me know.

oh, and if you were curious, i am making the launch 5 feet tall and 4 feet wide, and a 1 foot flat top (not sure about the length due to not being sure on the transition), and the landing will be 5 feet tall, 8 feet wide, and have a 2 foot flat top (again not sure of the lenght). the entire project will cost less than 200 dollars including painting it. :picsstfu:

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Here's the original concept before build.

The attachment below is what I actually built for the kicker. I haven't created a detailed print of what I actually built for the lander. You can get a good idea with the pic below. Since that pic was taken I lowered the lander about 5 inches to mellow it out a little.

(i already uploaded the pic to another thread and can't figure out how to get it over here, eerrrr. I just need to upload it with core ftp, hold please.)

Here ya go

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
wouldnt a 9 foot transition be a little too mellow for a bmx? i just thought the smaller the wheels, the tighter the tranny should be.
thanks for all the pictures and diagrams.:clapping:

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
I was collecting spare 2x4's and a couple 4x4's from work for a couple months. My plan was to go as cheap as I could, and I went up to the lumber yard when the wood I needed went onsale. I used 3/4 partical board for the lander to cut down on the cost too, and didn't sheet the sides.

Ruff estimate for the lip
7 - 2" x 4" x 8' = $17.50 (if you can, buy the 16' to save even more money)
1 - 4" x 4" x 10' = $8.00
1 - 4' x 8' 3ply sheating = $13.00
$38.50

Ruff estimate for lander
15 - 2" x 4" x 8' = $37.50 (if you can, buy the 16' to save even more money)
1 - 4" x 4" x 10' = $8.00
2 - 4' x 8' x 3/4 particalboard = $30
$75.50

1 box of 2 1/2" exterior/gold/black/whateveristhecheapest screw
1 box of 1 1/4"
$10

You can make a decision on the type of plywood and Particalboard you want to use when you see what they have and what's the least expensive. Check the sunday paper and see what's onsale ;)

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
if you could, would you have built the landing with a continuous transition as opposed to how you built it, with the flat section and a transitioned section at the bottom? Or would it be better to have the flat section? it just seems that if you didnt have the flat section on the landing, it would be more flowy.

Thanks for all the help you have given me!!:clapping:

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
I would rather have a radius on the bottom of the lander like I have in my original concept. The only reason I did what I did on the lander is because on the material I used (particalboard doesn't bend). I have no complaints about what I have right now, I just know the radius transition would be smoother.

organizedrage

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Dublin, CA
If I may make a suggestion. You might want to put carpet on the landing ramp so that it will simulate dirt and if you mess up doing a trick then you aren't going to be full of splinters. Just constructive criticism, no need to bash me if you think the idea is stupid.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
If I may make a suggestion. You might want to put carpet on the landing ramp so that it will simulate dirt and if you mess up doing a trick then you aren't going to be full of splinters. Just constructive criticism, no need to bash me if you think the idea is stupid.
actually, i think this is a great idea. I was considering it, but not quite sure if there would be any benefits. i did not even consider spinters. thanks:clapping:

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
For any of you that are interested, i have basically finalized the dimensions and transitions of the entire project. If i can figure out how to post my diagrams i will, but for now, the dimensions are as follows:

JUMP: L X W X H X transition
6'8" X 4' x 5' 8'6" There will be a one foot flat top

Landing
8' X 8' X 5' 9'6" There will be an approximate 2 foot flat top

I am going to try to find swivel (sp?) wheels like found on shopping carts to make the landing easier to move, and maybe the jump too. i will put them sticking out at the bottom of the back side of each object so i can just tip the jump or landing onto its back and easily move them from place to place (mostly the street to the side of my house). i am pretty excited to get started on this. the entire project should cost around $180, so it shouldnt take that much time to gain that amount of money with birthday and christmas fast approaching :busted:

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
I am going to try to find swivel (sp?) wheels like found on shopping carts to make the landing easier to move, and maybe the jump too.
You can find those at the hardware store no problem, look for "casters".

Let us know how it goes and post some pics.

Maybe we should make this a sticky and have others add their own designs?

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
That sounds like a good idea to try and get this stickied. I have an engineering class today at school, so i might be able to make detailed designs of what i am actually going to build. Oh, and thanks for telling me what those wheels are actually called.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
if you're worried about falling, wouldnt carpet really suck to fall on?

rugburn.

i know it'd cost more, but why not slap a sheet of masonite or really decent smooth plywood on. Do it like the skateparks do...

I havnt slapped on a curve on the bottom of my landing yet...but I will. I also made two 4' wide identical kickers that I can put together, or move one back a bit like in my pic for a larger gap. Its fun

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
I made the designs on the computer today, now i just have to figure out how to get them onto this website.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Colton, turn them into .jpg's and go to photobucket.com and create yourself an account. Then you'll be able to put them up here. I got this stickied, so I'll take a couple measurements tonight and get a detailed print of my lander.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
This is my ramp as I was building it, I put about 3 more cross braises in and added one vertical piece of 2x4 inbatween each cross brace connected to the brace incase the wood ontop desided to collapse or if they desided to flex.

This is the pre-finished product, as you can see its about 3.5 feet wide and this picture is not the finished model...I added some thin wood to the entrance and metal so the transition from concrete to wood was smoother.

I also have a 4ft wide table top and landing.

If requested, I could post pictures, and a crued blue print.

Total cost of landing, ramp, and table top was about $200, but keep in mind, these things are legit, and rock solid, they'll last for years to come, I'm sure.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
On a mountain bike 10' 6" is a pretty standard radius. That feels really nice. If you want a more mellow booter 12' is a good radius. The Airdome has all of their kickers built at 12'.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
On a mountain bike 10' 6" is a pretty standard radius. That feels really nice. If you want a more mellow booter 12' is a good radius. The Airdome has all of their kickers built at 12'.
I ride bmx and so do all of my friends. I feel that the radius i have decided on, though it will be tight, will give me substantial pop and hieght.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
It's nice to keep the two apart, then you can set up a hip jump to the left or right, and you can also set the two next to each other and use them as a quarter. That's how I'm learning to air out quarters. And of course the versatility to take the two anywhere and set up the perfect distance for your speed.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Looks good muddy beast. The only thing I would suggest is to paint it especially the bottom where it will be touching the ground.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
It's nice to keep the two apart, then you can set up a hip jump to the left or right, and you can also set the two next to each other and use them as a quarter. That's how I'm learning to air out quarters. And of course the versatility to take the two anywhere and set up the perfect distance for your speed.
thats exactly what i was thinking. but if i did make a box in the middle, i can still take them all apart, but have a 3 piece system. i can still have a straight jump, or a hip, or make a quater, but i could then also have the thing in the middle to make me even more comfortable for learning tricks (like tailwhips and 360's right now) or for doing more tech tricks like manuals over the hip, or tire tap things. but this is still only if i have money to spend.

Thanks for all of the help all of you have been giving, especially opjones:clapping:

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Looks good muddy beast. The only thing I would suggest is to paint it especially the bottom where it will be touching the ground.
Thanks, and yeah I spray painted the inside at all the joints and toward most of the bottom. Also, I cover it with 2 tarps.

Unfortunatly havent hit the jump yet though, since I'm just not comfortable with my bighit on a wood kicker. But I'm building a hardtail, so I'll probly hit it when I'm done and once I get a feel for hardtails again.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
When i actually get to building this, i was wondering what kind of sealant i should use. I was thinking an outdoor paint, but i have heard that wood sealant would work better. Also, should i add a sand to the paint/sealant for traction, or would that be like sand paper on my skin during a rough landing?

And of course, i am going to spray paint all the edges a flourescent color so people driving cars can easily see the jump and landing.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
i have recalculated the cost of the project, and made some more adjustments on how i am going to make this work and be stable. i decided to make the space between 2 X 4's 8 inches apart instead of nearly 11.
So, the cost of the jump will be only about 35 dollars because i am getting the 4' 2X4s from the excess length from the landing (I am buying 12 foot long 2X4's. for the landing the cost will be 127.

If i build the box segment, that will cost another 80 or 90 dollars. then there will be extra costs such as paint, and my parents usually help me out with the cost of the screws. Also, i found somebody with casters they are trying to get rid of, so those are free. the end cost of just the launch and landing will be about 172 with the cost of paint (i will just buy mis-mixed paint, half off) and if i build the box, it will be around 252 dollars.

The project will be pricey, but in the end will be worth it with all the abilities of the ramp, being able to be set up as a straigh jump, hip, quarter and different variations of all of these!:monkeydance:

Aug 13, 2007
nh
i think that wood transitons are really sketchey. although they are great for practicing because they are moveable unlike dirt once you build it its hard to move. I would go with a wood lip and a dirt landing.

Mikey_C

Chimp
Jul 19, 2007
When i actually get to building this, i was wondering what kind of sealant i should use. I was thinking an outdoor paint, but i have heard that wood sealant would work better. Also, should i add a sand to the paint/sealant for traction, or would that be like sand paper on my skin during a rough landing?

And of course, i am going to spray paint all the edges a flourescent color so people driving cars can easily see the jump and landing.
a good sealent woudl be good for the braces but not so good for the particle board. Particle board is just alot of glue that wood sealer doesnt stick to very well. I would def want to stick with oil based paint to seal it. A few coats will also give youa smoother surface to avoid spintering.

Muddy beast: those cross braces screwed right to the pywood is not going to work out to well. impact on the braces is justt going to pull the screws right through the plywood. Plywood should only be used for sheething as well as cross bracing the frames. looks like perfect angle though

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
i think that wood transitons are really sketchey. although they are great for practicing because they are moveable unlike dirt once you build it its hard to move. I would go with a wood lip and a dirt landing.

how do you feel wood is sketchy, you just don't like landing on it? its very solid, no ruts, I consider it easier for people to dial in/learn tricks, there are no variables once you hit it you can replicate that over and over.

I want to build at least a take off this winter, havent decided on a radius (probably 8-9') and width yet though. Those pics look like really nice ramps though.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
Is there any way to get google sketch up drawing on here? i made the exact jump i am going to build, but dont know how to get it on here.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
i have recalculated the cost of the project, and made some more adjustments on how i am going to make this work and be stable. i decided to make the space between 2 X 4's 8 inches apart instead of nearly 11.
So, the cost of the jump will be only about 35 dollars because i am getting the 4' 2X4s from the excess length from the landing (I am buying 12 foot long 2X4's. for the landing the cost will be 127.

If i build the box segment, that will cost another 80 or 90 dollars. then there will be extra costs such as paint, and my parents usually help me out with the cost of the screws. Also, i found somebody with casters they are trying to get rid of, so those are free. the end cost of just the launch and landing will be about 172 with the cost of paint (i will just buy mis-mixed paint, half off) and if i build the box, it will be around 252 dollars.

The project will be pricey, but in the end will be worth it with all the abilities of the ramp, being able to be set up as a straigh jump, hip, quarter and different variations of all of these!:monkeydance:
Sounds about right.
If I were you I would do what I did...wait till summer, and ask your mom to go shopping with you, then turn into the hardware store. Simply tell her you want a project to keep you busy over the summer, and convince her to pay for your wood. However, don't buy it all at once, or the price might scare her. I bought the jump, tabletop, and landing all at seperate times, about a month apart. That way, she forgot about how much she spent previously, and still purchases the $100 plus in wood just of one part of the project.

P.S. Screws go quick, and it doesnt hurt to have extra's. I went threw about 3 boxes.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
Sounds about right.
If I were you I would do what I did...wait till summer, and ask your mom to go shopping with you, then turn into the hardware store. Simply tell her you want a project to keep you busy over the summer, and convince her to pay for your wood. However, don't buy it all at once, or the price might scare her. I bought the jump, tabletop, and landing all at seperate times, about a month apart. That way, she forgot about how much she spent previously, and still purchases the $100 plus in wood just of one part of the project.

P.S. Screws go quick, and it doesnt hurt to have extra's. I went threw about 3 boxes.
Sounds good. I will see how much i can get them to buy, but i also asked for money for this project for my birthday, but i dont know how much money i want, as i am also looking at getting a new complete, and upgrading a lot of parts on it. However, the other day i ordered a mountain board, decided later i didnt want it (already earned the money for it-360 dollars), so now i have 360 dollars to spend whenever, so that will help A LOT!!:lighten:

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Just an idea, but I would consider creating a "deck" to give you a little bit of wiggle room for those times when you come up short on the landing. Even if it is just a foot it would probably give me alot of peace of mind.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Just an idea, but I would consider creating a "deck" to give you a little bit of wiggle room for those times when you come up short on the landing. Even if it is just a foot it would probably give me alot of peace of mind.
Thats why I built a 4 foot table top piece, so I can move it back if I start going farther and havea case guard.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
Ya, i guess i should have told you guys what i finally decided to do. I am going to build: L X W X H X R
Jump: 6'6" X 6' X 5' X 8'6" one foot deck

Landing: 9' X 8' X 5' X 15' curved section on top to make casing less drastic

Center: 6' X 8' X 5' X NA

I have it all designed on sketch up, but am lazy/to dumb to put it on here.:plthumbsdown: