Quantcast

wood transitions

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
[/IMG]

the only difference in the drawing than what i am actually going to build is that the jump is 8' wide as opposed to 6' wide like i said

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Muddy beast: those cross braces screwed right to the pywood is not going to work out to well. impact on the braces is justt going to pull the screws right through the plywood. Plywood should only be used for sheething as well as cross bracing the frames. looks like perfect angle though
Don't see how that would hold together very long,. Aside from the plywood support needing fixed, it looks like it needs to have the bottom framed out and some diagonals to stiffen it up.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I've had the jump for over a year...and havent had any opprotunaties to hit it yet...(damn thing is to heavy for me to move by myself, and all my ride buddies live far away).

But, no it holds up. I put plywood over the top and put 3 screws in each brace and I put cross braces to each brace already in. Trust me, that thing isnt going anywhere with 3/4th inch plywood on each side and the braces at the end of the ramp (you cant see, but its a genius design my friends dad came up with, using braces and pressure it keeps the whole thing solid).

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
I didnt feel like making another thread for this topic. What i want to know is, if i were to make a curved wallride thing, kind of like a bowl, that did almost a 180 degree turn, is there a good radius that you would stick to the wall well, but still be in control?
like so

There would be sort of like a dirt bank/berm on the lower portion of it with about 4 feet of wood above this (or more). The purpose of this is to make a tight berm at the end of a dirt jump trail to shoot you off in the opposite direction to hit up another dirt jump. It is all in my backyard, so i have limited space.:disgust1:

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
heres a vid of exactly what i was interested in making.

Also, would it be smarter/cheaper to build this out of wood beams/bracing, or should i find a place to roll steel pipes for the skeleton?

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Hey colton, apparently noone ever responded to your question. I would make it out of wood so that it would be easier to put your plywood in place. Even using steel poles you would have flex. The best way to make it with wood would probably be to use 4x4s as posts and put them at least 2 feet in the ground if you cant get as much as 3 feet. then you would probably want to put some braces angled down from the top of your wall into the ground sticking about 4-5 feet out from the base of the wall. that should make it pretty sturdy. We kind of made our wallride like this in Clemson but its not nearly as tight of a radius. We, being resourceful college students, went dumpster diving and found some a frame sections from housing construction sites (all scraps of course but still in a nice sturdy angle) and we actually had to put them up on some 2x4s to make them the height we needed. we've got a mess of braces on the back to hold it steady. Its been holding up for a year so far.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007

All of that stuff is already there except for the wallride. Many changes will also come such as: Adding 2 feet to top of roll in, making main jump longer/wider/taller, turning berm into wallride, trail after wallride, making roller longer/wider, bowl after roller deeper, and making the newb jump taller/wider.

Tell me what you think

tjc

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
Wow, and you said you already have part of this done? Anyway's it's great to me, idk mabey you could find a spot for a rail or somthing? Just a suggestion, but it's still great.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
ya, i already have the roll in, the table top and the roller done. I also have a tiny trick jump at the end like shown in the pic, but it is pretty useless.
The renovations to come are:
Making the roll in 2' taller
Table top ~ 8" taller, 2' wider, and 2' longer
Making bowl between jump and berm deeper and twice as wide
Designing and building the wall ride
Making roller 3X as wide and a little longer
Bowl after roller about 1'6" deeper
and making "trick jump much taller"

So in other words, the basic outline of what is posted above is already there. I just want to make this place sick and be able to ride it for a couple of years before graduating High School. All of this work has been done and will be done by hand with a trusty shovel. It has and will mostly will be done by myself. I am just glad i have pretty awesome parents that let me do stuff like this in their backyard:clapping::monkeydance:

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
I have been doing tons of digging lately and just this past weekend began getting wood and making cuts for the wallride. I will post pictures once i actually start the building process.:picsstfu:

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
First part of the wallride is under way. Now i have to cut the top radius, put in rear support braces, and then screw in 72 four foot long 2X4's and it will be good to go.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
does anyone have a good radius recommendation (using a board compass) for a mini ramp transition built for 24" bikes more than skating or bmx?

EDIT: The ramp transition in question will be 38" tall

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
ya, its close to being finished. This goes really slow with only one person working on it. I will post up picks in a while.:picsstfu:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
very nice. You might want to think about a setup that works both directions (for the wallride)

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
what would yall think of this step up box jump ?

clearly, a lot of the dimensions could be tweaked a bit.... but in general . . a box jump where the deck is not flat, but slants up, enabling you to have a big radius landing that has roughly the same steepness as the launch.

(i say the same steepness b/c 5.5 divided by 9 is close to the same as 9 divided by 14.)

Alternate version without the rounded corner:

Version 3 . . . 9' radius on the landing as well, except flat extension up to step up corner:

Last edited:

antalmjah

Chimp
Nov 8, 2009
Does anyone know some good ratios when using mesquite? Living in the southwest I have an abundance of this wood...its right in my back yard But from what I understand it is easy to over do it...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Maybe wood landing transitions should be cut on a parabolic path . . . instead of circular radius or elliptical radius:

Look at your trajectory.

Then flip it upside down, so that the landing is "catching" the rider at the same angle they are entering the earth.....

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
was pretty stoked to see another step-up box jump... this time at the Whistler Air Dome.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
That Whistler Air Dome looks real good. How'd those step-up boxes ride?

Rode the local indoor park, Incline Club down in Lakewood, NJ last week. They had a nice step-up box that took me a few turns to sort out but once I rode it like trails I was set. Had to turn off the box-jump switch, haha.

I didn't get any pics or vids but here is a Youtube clip of the whole place:
You can see the step-up box in parts.