Quantcast

Wood?

PHLO

Chimp
Dec 23, 2006
Evergreen/Denver
As you may notice by my other thread I new to the area, state, country.

I need wood and lots of it for the trail. Just looking for some advice or input into the best place to get lots of wood cheapo?
I've done the usual research, home ghetto and Lowes. Lowes seems to be ok for prices...but basically the cheaper I can get it the more and bigger I can build.
Cheers Phil

Oh...pallets as well...but they are pretty easy to come by.

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
When I was a kid and built forts and stuff, I went to houses that they where building and asked for whatever they didn't need. Sometimes you could get quite a few 2x4s. I'd try that and then buy whatever else you need.

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
Ya, my friends just poach construction sites. Totally illegal but what else are you gonna do. As for pallets they're easy to find. Look behind King Soopers or Safeway for those. What kind of trails are you trying to build? You need wood for jumps or for "north-shore" style stuff?

PHLO

Chimp
Dec 23, 2006
Evergreen/Denver
Ya, my friends just poach construction sites. Totally illegal but what else are you gonna do. As for pallets they're easy to find. Look behind King Soopers or Safeway for those. What kind of trails are you trying to build? You need wood for jumps or for "north-shore" style stuff?
For some northshore, freeride stylee drops, wall rides....etc...its going to be nice...Think start of ROAM with the Claw...but more lines.
Theres plenty of fallen trees, goin to chop them up and to bulk out jumps. There is a bunch of rock/crag drops already...lots of line to pic from is the formula.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Check local lumber yards(not Lowes or Home Depot) they sometimes have a scrap bin. The wood is cut into short pieces but can be useful.

literocola

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
I second the lumber yard, since you're gonna need as many 2x4s and 4x4s as you can get.
I third the lumber yard-
BMC West is a lumber yard by my old place, a buddy of mine used to work for them, I will talk to him today or tomarrow and see what he can do- chances are hes still friends with the upper managment, so he may be able to work a deal.

Construction sites are always good for scraps- I'm not too keen on stealing their good wood at night; but asking the contractor for scraps is your best bet, or good ol American fun Dumpster Diving.

Pallets: I have the spot for pallets: and I mean the SPOT, also have those big spools, little spools.

Depending on vechical, my dad has a huge flatbed trailer that was used for our old race bikes its perfect for hauling stuff around.

Lemme know buddy

Edit- You probley dont want tossed out wood for a pretty good reason- it was tossed out; and probley tossed out for a reason- its warped, or whatever.
Look in the phone book under Lumber Yards and start giving some of them a call- find the best price and snatch it up. Good wood from a lumber yard is going to put thrown out scraps to shame

PHLO

Chimp
Dec 23, 2006
Evergreen/Denver
I third the lumber yard-
BMC West is a lumber yard by my old place, a buddy of mine used to work for them, I will talk to him today or tomarrow and see what he can do- chances are hes still friends with the upper managment, so he may be able to work a deal.

Construction sites are always good for scraps- I'm not too keen on stealing their good wood at night; but asking the contractor for scraps is your best bet, or good ol American fun Dumpster Diving.

Pallets: I have the spot for pallets: and I mean the SPOT, also have those big spools, little spools.

Depending on vechical, my dad has a huge flatbed trailer that was used for our old race bikes its perfect for hauling stuff around.

Lemme know buddy

Edit- You probley dont want tossed out wood for a pretty good reason- it was tossed out; and probley tossed out for a reason- its warped, or whatever.
Look in the phone book under Lumber Yards and start giving some of them a call- find the best price and snatch it up. Good wood from a lumber yard is going to put thrown out scraps to shame
Nice....cheers man.
I'm thinking that I'm not aiming to build something that Old Yankee Workshop bloke would be proud of.
The aims are:
To build as much as possible...the more thats built=more to ride
To build big...no drops under 6', I want double figures...and to build to send you big.
To build them strong enough to take alot of hits....I have a feeling this place will be riden often and by more then just me.

Oh may take you up on the flat be trailer. We'll see, when ever this white crap disappears building will start again.