Quantcast

Woodlot 7-30

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
I'm heading up to the Woodlot Sunday 7-30 for my first ride on the Shore, anyone want to split gas? Got room in the Jeep for one, but we can make a caravan or something if more people want to go.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Oh I want to go! I haven't been to the Woodlot yet this year and need to ride something else other than Whistler this summer.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Killer, pm me? I can pick you up on the way up, I'm thinking of leaving Puyallup at about 9 so I will be up Bellingham way around 11. Warning: I'm kinda sucky and slow, but before I sprained my hand on upper Angry Pirate Saturday I had been enjoying Devil's Club and Smoke and Mirrors and I hear the Woodlot has a lot of stuff like that.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
well, the woodlot is quite a bit different than the shore. Definitely my favorite place to ride; probably why I am there almost every weekend :)

I will be up there that day for sure if you want a tourguide. Are devils club and s&m at your ability level? Plenty of stuff to keep you amused up there!

...the improvements to heckyl make it a worth while trail, donor will have lots of stuff you will find amusing, and upper toadstool should keep you smiling with the long traverse logride.

You do know there is no shuttling there though, right? Bring lots of water, bugspray, and cliff bars!

-sean

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Borneo said:
I thought Heckl and Jeckl got logged??? Did they re-build?

h&j was not logged; it was closed due to the logging going on towards the bottom of the trail.

The trail was completely redone though; in platinum meets donor style. Big swoopy berms towards the bottom, good sized rythm jumps (15-20 foot gaps in series), and a wicked wood ramp step-up hipper dealio...plus some other gems here and there from the orig trail that were rebuilt.

What better way to end a trip to the lot than to push up for last runs down platinum, drop into h&j, ride up to the top of shotgun, rally down that, pack up the car, and head to the billy miner pub for a few pints of the dark.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
well, its about 35ish miles away from b'ham. We usually get to the WWU exit to get gas in about an hour's time (barring any everret traffic) and then depending on border times, another 45 mins to our friend's house in maple ridge...to woodlot its about 10 more mins from their house...

if you leave around 8am, you can touch down at woodlot's parking area in 2.5 hours driving sane speeds :)

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Thanks, it would be great to have a guide up there! Both those trails are well within my fun zone, which is why I'm looking to hit some more stuff like that. So far, I kind of prefer the slow and technical stuff to the high-speed going huge stuff. And yeah, it's definately an open invite. So, I have a big bike with a single ring and a shore-style overbuilt hardtail with a 6" fork on it, which do you think would work better on the Woodlot trails?

-Trace

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I'd be intersted in Woodlot; I haven't been in a few years. PM me with the details and I'll see if I can clear my schedule (I'm in Seattle with a flexible schedule). Carbunkle, I think the HT would be a good choice, from what I remember there's more woodwork than huge drops, but it's almost all hike-a-bike up a riverbed.

Jun 18, 2004
kinghami3 said:
I'd be intersted in Woodlot; I haven't been in a few years. PM me with the details and I'll see if I can clear my schedule (I'm in Seattle with a flexible schedule). Carbunkle, I think the HT would be a good choice, from what I remember there's more woodwork than huge drops, but it's almost all hike-a-bike up a riverbed.
What did you just move to Ballard?

Jun 18, 2004
kinghami3 said:
Yep, over from Magnolia. I'll be in Ballard for the next year or two.
J/curious... noticed your avatar... ever ride w/some of the other peeps from Ballard?... if not your welcome to come out w/us...

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
carbuncle said:
Thanks, it would be great to have a guide up there! Both those trails are well within my fun zone, which is why I'm looking to hit some more stuff like that. So far, I kind of prefer the slow and technical stuff to the high-speed going huge stuff. And yeah, it's definately an open invite. So, I have a big bike with a single ring and a shore-style overbuilt hardtail with a 6" fork on it, which do you think would work better on the Woodlot trails?

-Trace

word.

Well the warm-up lap we usually do is pretty much a series of faster techie trails void of any/all woodwork cept those needed to get over water sources; so they are nice and flowy and wide and fast.

I used to ride woodlot on my hardtail with 4" all the time. This year I have only one bike built up - intense 6.6 - that is more than enough bike for there.

Since you are down in puy-town (doesn't work nearly as well as seatown), and depending on how many freaks are going to be making the journey, you could dump your vehicle here at our place in w. seattle and toss your bike on our car to save on vehicles, gas, etc. But that's up to you of course :)

You should be able to pedal up about half way; on a good day I can pedal my bike about 3/4 of the way up and then it's another 10 min hike. On a hot/bad day I am toast at about the halfway mark and then slowly drag my feet the rest of the way :)

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Sounds like a plan, I'll split gas for a bigger vehicle for sure. Think I'll try the hardtail and see how it goes, if it's lacking I can always bring the big bike next time. I'll pm for location. How much armor do you think is necessary? I can go full stormtrooper, but if it's hot and muggy in the trees...

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Side note: no hijack intended. I'll be at Fromme and Seymour this weekend. Preferred routes there? I have no problem climbing and hope to do several laps at both.

Back on thread: Yep, HT friendly. There were more P3s there the last time than FS bikes.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Str8OutaBallard said:
J/curious... noticed your avatar... ever ride w/some of the other peeps from Ballard?... if not your welcome to come out w/us...
No peeps from Ballard that I know of, but I ride Joe's old RM7. I messed myself up at SST yesterday so I might me out for a while, but I'd love to go riding. PM me next time you go.
-Andrew

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
carbuncle said:
Sounds like a plan, I'll split gas for a bigger vehicle for sure. Think I'll try the hardtail and see how it goes, if it's lacking I can always bring the big bike next time. I'll pm for location. How much armor do you think is necessary? I can go full stormtrooper, but if it's hot and muggy in the trees...
When I went with TJ, our buddy wore full armor, and it ruined his day, but it was really hot and muggy. I'd go with just a fullface and shin/knee pads if I were you.

Jun 18, 2004
kinghami3 said:
No peeps from Ballard that I know of, but I ride Joe's old RM7. I messed myself up at SST yesterday so I might me out for a while, but I'd love to go riding. PM me next time you go.
-Andrew
Went out to Pa last weekend, back to either Pa or the shore this weekend... woodlot sounds cool; 'never been there...

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
vibiker - every trail is ht friendly. I rode them all on my scirocco. With how smooth and flowy the trails are, there is no need for a big bike. Cabin trail is the only trail that having rear squish helps since it is rather rough otherwise.

borneo -
seymour -
lap one: cbc->tnt->dirty diapers->neds
lap two: cbc->corkscrew->salvation->pingu->pangor->lower boggie->slash->empress (not the reroute)

car:
i usually only have a skidlid on and if I am feeling saucy I bring legs. Some people wear legs and fullface..others have full body protection on. It never hurts to overprotect yourself as long as you have a pack that can carry everything when the time comes to trek back up!

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Seand: Thanks! FF required? I rode the woodlot w/o one and felt ok.
Bringing knee/shin and arm/elbow pads though. (It's gonna be hot.)

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
I just realized something...that is the week/weekend of crankworx! I will be in Kamloops from the 25th through the 31st celebrating being a safe distance from the hordes at Whistler :)

Trace -
If you wanted to make it the previous sat or sunday (the 22nd/23rd) I would definitely be game, but it will be difficult to peel myself away from the loops to trek back to woodlot :)

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Either day of next weekend will work just as well for me, man. I'd do this weekend, but Julie and I are riding Tiger one day and either B'ham or the worm the next. Does Saturday the 22nd work?

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
hey, what day are you going to bham? Feel like spending a day at galbraith?

Next weekend both days are golden for the end!

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Mmm...Galbraithy...I've only been up there twice but I'm always finding more cool stuff. This Sunday? Julie would be into going up for sure.

Jun 18, 2004
carbuncle said:
Either day of next weekend will work just as well for me, man. I'd do this weekend, but Julie and I are riding Tiger one day and either B'ham or the worm the next. Does Saturday the 22nd work?
The weekend of the 22nd I'm working at night all w/e... this w/e we're going somewhere as in Pa or the Shore...

the 30th is a possible Whistler trip... maybe the 30th will work out if my other peeps spend thier dough at Crankworks...

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
carbuncle said:
Mmm...Galbraithy...I've only been up there twice but I'm always finding more cool stuff. This Sunday? Julie would be into going up for sure.

good deal.

forecast for up there:

Saturday: Mostly sunny. High 69.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear. Low 52.

Sunday: Mostly sunny. High 71.

Should be good conditions :) Hit me up via pm :)

off to watch dig bites man. man i love comedy central.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
cool...22nd will work fine. I will have to let Mark (dude running the marginal greenbelt planting thing) know I won't be making it. Can't forget to do that!