Quantcast

Woodlot and Vedder

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
that depends on what you are looking to get out of woodlot.

the usual laps that most seem to do:
karpenter->donor->giant killer->H/J or Hoots->shotgun->car
OR
platinum->H/J or Hoots->shotgun->car

the way we usually roll down woodlot..
goldmine, aka cabin (not gold)..back up..
tsuga->snakes..back up...

depending on weather (if it's wet...avoid platinum and h/j) plat->h/j->hoots->shotgun->car
OR
donor->lower toad or b-line->h/j or hoots->shotgun->car

that should give you about 80% of the mountain in about 4 hours. After a 'lot ride, go to the Billy Miner Pub for some awesome grub/pints.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Last year I could get to the top of gate in about 25 minutes. Tack another 10-15 or so on there if I am heading up to platinum.

It really depends on how slow and lazy the persons going up are. Some walk the whole way, most go halfsies. The initial climb from the car (dog**** hill) has gotten pretty rough to ride up. I find the current condition of that initial climb has me pushing the whole way up, which adds another 10 to my climb.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
that depends on what you are looking to get out of woodlot.

the usual laps that most seem to do:
karpenter->donor->giant killer->H/J or Hoots->shotgun->car
OR
platinum->H/J or Hoots->shotgun->car

the way we usually roll down woodlot..
goldmine, aka cabin (not gold)..back up..
tsuga->snakes..back up...

depending on weather (if it's wet...avoid platinum and h/j) plat->h/j->hoots->shotgun->car
OR
donor->lower toad or b-line->h/j or hoots->shotgun->car

that should give you about 80% of the mountain in about 4 hours. After a 'lot ride, go to the Billy Miner Pub for some awesome grub/pints.
That's similar to what I do... but one Q. Where do you pop out of Cabin and how is that trail? I think you can connect over to Snakes from it or pop out by the end of the Gate, right?

Sometimes we'll hit the Gate, go up and do Karpenter to Blood Donor, go back up to Platinum to H&J. Sometimes I end up hiking all over the hill like a mad man looking for the top or bottom of some trail.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
That's similar to what I do... but one Q. Where do you pop out of Cabin and how is that trail? I think you can connect over to Snakes from it or pop out by the end of the Gate, right?

Sometimes we'll hit the Gate, go up and do Karpenter to Blood Donor, go back up to Platinum to H&J. Sometimes I end up hiking all over the hill like a mad man looking for the top or bottom of some trail.
Cabin can either lead you into snakes or you can follow it out to the main access road. It will put you out at the first real switch back (that hooks left). The end of Gate is nowhere near the end of Cabin. You can access Tsuga quickly from Gate though..Tsuga->snakes is a wicked combo if you are looking for similar trails to lengthen your riding time.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Cabin can either lead you into snakes or you can follow it out to the main access road. It will put you out at the first real switch back (that hooks left). The end of Gate is nowhere near the end of Cabin. You can access Tsuga quickly from Gate though..Tsuga->snakes is a wicked combo if you are looking for similar trails to lengthen your riding time.
Oh, right... and this is why I end up walking all over the side trails/roads: "I think this will take us to the top of Blood Donor. Oh.... dang this is the end."

But... second question: Cabin = worth it?

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Oh, right... and this is why I end up walking all over the side trails/roads: "I think this will take us to the top of Blood Donor. Oh.... dang this is the end."

But... second question: Cabin = worth it?
haha!

Here is a bit of advice (we did this once thinking it was a shortcut...not a good idea). Coming down Cabin you will hit a wide-open area that looks like it is about 20 yards downhill from the start of Gate. Common sense says you can walk up the rocky road and shortcut to the powerlines...Common sense is lying to you! Resist the urge and keep following the trail across and into the woods.

Is Cabin worth it? Uh, well the trail is void of stunts (minus bridges needed to cross river xings). If you are looking for smooth stunty trails then no. If you are looking for something a bit different than the known-woodlot..yeah! It is quite fast and all the roots and such all over the place make it a wicked trail. It would be their dh trail. If you link that into snakes you have a nice and long haul down the moutain that will cover just about everything.

I love using cabin as a warm-up. If you haven't checked Tsuga out yet, that is a good one too. Def a smaller bike trail though as it winds about and has some uphill (that you can pedal). Also has two fun rockface sections too.

Back to cabin. Give it a go. You don't like it..you just have to hoof back up. Not many ride it as they think "it's not stunted, it's not worth it" so even on a busy day, nobody is out there.