Quantcast

woohoo

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
all the parts for my DOC came in today. er, they were transferred up to my shop today. some of them came on Friday.

...well, almost all the parts. still waiting on the hubs. woe is me.

J

JRB

I posted on mojo. If you want to roll up here, and don't mind building a wheel, I have several options. I actually have the wheels from the haro that would work in a pinch.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
loco said:
I posted on mojo. If you want to roll up here, and don't mind building a wheel, I have several options. I actually have the wheels from the haro that would work in a pinch.
i'm (hopefully) going to meet up with Weaver. i'll let you know if that falls through.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin

noteworthy:
King hub tool :love:
DT nipple wrench :love:

Missing from pictures:
DT 5.1 rims (out of view)
King ISO hubs (being built on the 28th)
MonkeyLite DH bar (placing order tomorrow)
Maxxis Rim Strips (due tomorrow)
Stan's Sealant

annoyances of the day:
Crappy cables on SRAM shifters (i do not like coated cables);
Missing one of the plastic bits that covers the hole where the derailleur cable is inserted into shifter;
Looks like I'm going to have to cut the rear brake cable;
32t chainring is not compatible with LG1, despite what BTI shows, and what I swear I was told on the phone.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
actually, it's going to be a trail bike.

and amazingly (or amusingly), the build is still less than what i had originally paid for a frame way back in September (that ended up turning into this bike).

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
the Inbred said:
all the parts for my DOC came in today. er, they were transferred up to my shop today. some of them came on Friday.

...well, almost all the parts. still waiting on the hubs. woe is me.
Most of my parts showed up yesterday :D

I'm almost as happy for you as I am me... my ride's going to paint in a few days. Then built in two weeks. Yippie!

J

JRB

I really dig sram cable sets. I don't dig the shifters, but the cables kick ass.

J

JRB

yes...also - tell weave I'll get the tensioner for him, but I trashed the cog in a flip out while taking it off the other night.

What cogs did you get when Kings weren't available??? If I go back to a single on my bike later, I want something besides a 20 tooth.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
loco said:
yes...also - tell weave I'll get the tensioner for him, but I trashed the cog in a flip out while taking it off the other night.

What cogs did you get when Kings weren't available??? If I go back to a single on my bike later, I want something besides a 20 tooth.
King, Surly and Shimano are your best choices.

J

JRB

Changleen said:
King, Surly and Shimano are your best choices.
Shimanos dig into the freehub body. I just don't love King, but haven't seen the Surlys in person. Inbred was getting something before.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
loco said:

Endless KickAss cogs.

Surly if you want steel.

i'll save the cables for you.

anyone know if it's safe to reuse a star nut? i got a little over-zealous and set it in place before cutting the steerer tube. oops. i was thinking about cutting the tube, tapping out the nut, then tapping it back in. bad idea?

J

JRB

Just tap it further before you cut it. I have done this several times. That is the easiest.

Thanks for the cog info and the cables. Any idea where I can get the cogs???

hmm - is $25 from pricepoint a good deal???

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
the Surly cogs are in stock at QBP right now (16t is the only one out of stock).

17t and 19t - 22t all have 50+ in stock.
18t are showing 23 in stock.

the Endless cogs can be bought from Endless directly, or ordered through BTI, though BTI is out of stock...

$25 looks like a decent price. depending on the size, i believe full retail would be about $30 for the larger Surly cogs.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
went on my first ride today with the new bike. sweet. need to raise the seat a little, but otherwise, it was damn fun. hubs are due in this week. unfortunately i work 35hrs this week. and have 15pgs worth of research papers due thursday. don't think i'll get to ride the bike complete, with the build intended, until Saturday or Sunday.

oh, and as i was pulling out of the parking lot this morning to go ride, the skewer holding my bike broke, sending my bike into the side of the bed of the truck. my heart stopped.