Quantcast

woot! ASR 5 ordered!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I know... bike content in the lounge... how absurd.

After a long drawn out ordeal (some of it my fault, some of it not), I ordered an ASR 5 frame to replace my cracked 575. Can't wait! I figure right about Friday the weather should turn to **** for the next 6 weeks or so.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I rode mine with a 150mm revelation, in hindsight I would have rather run around 130mm I think that would have given the bike a better HA for climbing and tighter trails. I also ran pretty light wheels, Sun Ringle Black Flag Pros, they were around 1650 grams. I started with stupid light 2.1 inch tires but couldn't push the bike as much as I wanted to so I switched to 2.35 high rollers and liked the bike even more. Make sure you upgrade to the 142x12 dropouts if you can, made the bike as stiff as my DH bike.

One of the most fun bikes I've ever owned, I probably would still have it if I didn't almost kill myself on it.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Nice. What fork did you run? Ive got 2 forks and 2 wheelsets, trying to decide what setup to run with it.
Float 32 RLC 140mm travel fork, DT Swiss EX1750 wheels. Little taller fork and loved the way it rode set up this way. Little bit burlier wheelset, generally ran 2.4 front/2.25 rear Schwalbe tires on it so the wider rim felt good man. I also agree RE: the 142x12 thru-axle rear, makes the bike much moar better that way. It was definitely one of the funnest bikes I've ever owned, I probably would still have it if I didn't get an SB-66c this past summer...

Last edited:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Thanks guys... Anyone else?

I've got 32 TALAS (80/100/125) QR with a good, relatively light DT wheelset.... or ......a 32 TALAS (110/130/150) 15mm TA with a mid level set of fulcrums.

Both setups are fast and strong, so both should give a really good ride. Looking forward to trying both in a little "side by side" comparison.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Fox 32 140mm. I'd lock it down on climbs, but otherwise I thought that was just about perfect. If I hadn't scored such an awesome deal on my SB66 I'd still be riding it. And I rode the hell out of that bike.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Thanks guys... Anyone else?

I've got 32 TALAS (80/100/125) QR with a good, relatively light DT wheelset.... or ......a 32 TALAS (110/130/150) 15mm TA with a mid level set of fulcrums.

Both setups are fast and strong, so both should give a really good ride. Looking forward to trying both in a little "side by side" comparison.
I personally refuse to ride any fork with a QR asides from my road bike these days. And I'm thinking about converting that, too. The taller TALAS seems like it would be the hot tip to me, but it really depends on your terrain and riding style I suppose. I prefer slacker trail bikes, and in Colorado we get long arduous climbs but also long wide-open descents. I'll deal with a slacker HA/taller front end to have the stability on said descents. If I lived somewhere that was tighter/twistier/turnier without the wide-open stuff I might desire a bit steeper bike. I should also note that with the 140mm fork, I only had a single 5mm spacer under the stem, which was a 90mm 5* Thomson and I ran 38mm rise DH bars. So, aside from the slight stem rise and semi-tall bar, the bar height was "low"-ish.

BTW, this is really turning in to a lot of bikey content for the lounge. Are you comfortable with this?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I personally refuse to ride any fork with a QR asides from my road bike these days. And I'm thinking about converting that, too. The taller TALAS seems like it would be the hot tip to me, but it really depends on your terrain and riding style I suppose. I prefer slacker trail bikes, and in Colorado we get long arduous climbs but also long wide-open descents. I'll deal with a slacker HA/taller front end to have the stability on said descents. If I lived somewhere that was tighter/twistier/turnier without the wide-open stuff I might desire a bit steeper bike. I should also note that with the 140mm fork, I only had a single 5mm spacer under the stem, which was a 90mm 5* Thomson and I ran 38mm rise DH bars. So, aside from the slight stem rise and semi-tall bar, the bar height was "low"-ish.

BTW, this is really turning in to a lot of bikey content for the lounge. Are you comfortable with this?
Yea, I know a lot of people have become anti-QR... not sure where I stand on it. I ran that fork on my 575 for years before I upgraded and never had any problems. I definitely ride some tighter trails, so handling/responsiveness is important. That's said, I wonder how much difference there would be in wheelbase and HA between the shorter talas at 125mm and the taller tallas at 130mm (where it would probably see the most use). I'm sure both will be fine... it'll probably come down to a durability issue more than anything else. Maybe run the lighter gear for racing and the heavier stuff for day-to-day riding.

Oddly enough, part of me wants to put my 100mm 29er SID (also 15mm TA) with 29" Black Flag on the front and see what happens.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Do it now!
I'm sure it'll happen at some point. I'm keeping my niner, so I don't want to go crazy taking parts from it... but could be a fun experiment. Will have to measure crown height (from the ground) on the 3 fork/wheel setups and see if there is any significant difference.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yea... I just don't know if I see it. Maybe I don't ride hard enough...
You may see it on the Asr 5 more because the frame is really stiff, so if you have flex anywhere, it will be on the front and you will feel it more.
That said I ride the piss out of a Fox 32 15mm 150mm fork which internet people like to say "is a noodle," but it rides great for me and I ride it like its a DH fork.

Edit: Lulz. SS, I swear I did not see your post first. :rofl:

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You may see it on the Asr 5 more because the frame is really stiff, so if you have flex anywhere, it will be on the front and you will feel it more.
That said I ride the piss out of a Fox 32 15mm 150mm fork which internet people like to say "is a noodle," but it rides great for me and I ride it like its a DH fork.

Edit: Lulz. SS, I swear I did not see your post first. :rofl:
Heh. Have you tried a 150 Revelation? So much less a noodle.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Was your fox fork tapered? My Rev was not, but my 32 is tapered, and I could not tell a difference is stiffness, but the 2012 Fox sure does ride a hell of a lot smoother. So, unlike most men, I am very happy with my noodle.
No - my 32 is a 2010 non-tapered model. I need to get my Fox rebuilt - could be that it's just clapped out? I'm not *quite* dissatisfied with the noodle to pony up for a new fork. :homer:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I had a 2010 tapered Fox 32 140 15mm on the 5, then put a 150mm tapered 15mm TA Revelation on the SB when I first builded it. Rev seemed harsher, maybe a bit stiffer? But more than anything, it seemed too dang short for the SB, so I replaced with an equal travel Fox 34 (~10mm taller) and KAPLOW... nerd-vana. And the Fox 34 over the Revelation 32? Rev is definitely moar deflecty...

Also, to the OP: I agree with SS on this one. Flex is never something you notice until you don't have it. And that 5 should/will/HAS to be moar stiffer-er than your 575 (I'm guessing based on owning 2 different iterations of 575 before my 5) so that may make the difference.

Last edited:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
it's alive...

fresh out of the box from Competitive Cyclist (highly recommend them... excellent service, at least at the time of sale. Hopefully long term support is equally good).

rolling frame

Just needs cables...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Had the bike out in the snow and slop today, and tire clearance is a bit of an issue (2.35 kendas). Thinking about a slightly narrower more aggressive tire for bad conditions.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Yea, I know people bash the Nevegals, but they've worked well for me over the last few years.

It's not a clearance issue with the actual tire, it's a clearance issue with all the snow and junk that builds up around the tire/chainstays.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Yea, I know people bash the Nevegals, but they've worked well for me over the last few years.

It's not a clearance issue with the actual tire, it's a clearance issue with all the snow and junk that builds up around the tire/chainstays.
Heh. There's nothing you can do about that. I suppose you could move...

How the hell do you avoid pinch-flats with the Nevegal? I'm assuming you're running this as a rear tire? Featherweight?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Heh. There's nothing you can do about that. I suppose you could move...

How the hell do you avoid pinch-flats with the Nevegal? I'm assuming you're running this as a rear tire? Featherweight?
Yeah, rear tire only... 30-33psi usually, very few flats. Ran it on my 575, my single speed, and now this bike.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Yeah, rear tire only... 30-33psi usually, very few flats. Ran it on my 575, my single speed, and now this bike.
I'm trying to figure out how this is possible? Are you an extremely light rider? Terrain with few rocks?

I couldn't get the Nevegal off the rear of my bike fast enough due to the fact that if I ran pressure low enough that the traction didn't suck I would pinch flat regularly. And if I pumped it up so that I didn't get pinch flats it *sucked* in the traction department.

On the front it was OK - kind of a "meh" tire... but not so bad that I felt the need to immediately ditch it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm trying to figure out how this is possible? Are you an extremely light rider? Terrain with few rocks?

I couldn't get the Nevegal off the rear of my bike fast enough due to the fact that if I ran pressure low enough that the traction didn't suck I would pinch flat regularly. And if I pumped it up so that I didn't get pinch flats it *sucked* in the traction department.

On the front it was OK - kind of a "meh" tire... but not so bad that I felt the need to immediately ditch it.
not especially light (170lbs), and certainly not a finesse rider either.

No not many rocks, mostly roots around here. The 1 really rocky trail around is really slow and technical.

And I couldn't wait to get the Nevegal off the front... no bite in the softer stuff.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm thinking I want to get one of the frames and stick it in my build room. I need a bike to leave in Reno.