Quantcast

words from the grave of blog soldier

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
A soldier in iraq who had a big blog site was killed. interesting last words. found it on crooksandliars.com, but put his blog at the bottom of this thread.

Final Post

This is an entry I would have preferred not to have published, but there are limits to what we can control in life, and apparently I have passed one of those limits. And so, like G’Kar, I must say here what I would much prefer to say in person. I want to thank hilzoy for putting it up for me. It’s not easy asking anyone to do something for you in the event of your death, and it is a testament to her quality that she didn’t hesitate to accept the charge. As with many bloggers, I have a disgustingly large ego, and so I just couldn’t bear the thought of not being able to have the last word if the need arose. Perhaps I take that further than most, I don’t know. I hope so. It’s frightening to think there are many people as neurotic as I am in the world. In any case, since I won’t get another chance to say what I think, I wanted to take advantage of this opportunity. Such as it is. …(read on)
http://andrewolmsted.com/archives/2008/01/final_post.html

Plato's quote has always stuck with me. There are a few quotes about war that are scary true.

Einstein: "I know not with which weapons the third world war will be fought, but the fourth will be fought with sticks and stones"

New Linkin Park quote especially true in this generation, not like in WWII when everyone went. "When the rich wage war its the poor who die"

While we may not support the terms or the war what so ever, we need to support our troops. I can tell you as the son, nephew, cousin and grandson of soldiers, no one wants to go to war less than a soldier.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Let's respect his wishes ok?

I do ask (not that I'm in a position to enforce this) that no one try to use my death to further their political purposes. I went to Iraq and did what I did for my reasons, not yours. My life isn't a chit to be used to bludgeon people to silence on either side. If you think the U.S. should stay in Iraq, don't drag me into it by claiming that somehow my death demands us staying in Iraq. If you think the U.S. ought to get out tomorrow, don't cite my name as an example of someone's life who was wasted by our mission in Iraq. I have my own opinions about what we should do about Iraq, but since I'm not around to expound on them I'd prefer others not try and use me as some kind of moral capital to support a position I probably didn't support. Further, this is tough enough on my family without their having to see my picture being used in some rally or my name being cited for some political purpose. You can fight political battles without hurting my family, and I'd prefer that you did so.

On a similar note, while you're free to think whatever you like about my life and death, if you think I wasted my life, I'll tell you you're wrong. We're all going to die of something. I died doing a job I loved. When your time comes, I hope you are as fortunate as I was.

I dont thats whats being done here. I was strictly pointing out that war isnt good for anyone. I never said it wasnt a necessity in certain cases, which it absolutely is.

"On a similar note, while you're free to think whatever you like about my life and death, if you think I wasted my life, I'll tell you you're wrong. We're all going to die of something. I died doing a job I loved. When your time comes, I hope you are as fortunate as I was."

Every soldier I have ever known has felt that way about serving. Honestly thats how I approach my whole existence.

All that has been pointed out so far in these posts is that it is important to see the soldiers point of view in all of it. I did say that we all have a POV on the war but that doesnt change the fact that soldiers are just doing there jobs. I make a practice of saying thank you to every soldier I see on the street.

Reading back through the quotes I posted I see a bit of personal opinion popping in, but his story should be used on the personal level, not a political level like you point out and he wishes for