Quantcast

work can be scary

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I just a call from our IS guy saying "OK, we're now live." :eek: A year+ of planning, testing, training, and converting just came to a head, as this system we're upgrading just went live. I have never been this involved in a single project. I've always been on a large team, but this time it's just me. It's a high profile project, too.

It's exciting and scary at the same time. No matter how much you test, you always feel that there is something you forgot to do. I guess we'll find out tomorrow when I e-mail 1,000 users instructions for logging in.

Eh, just felt like rambling there for a bit......

(oh, it's timeclock software....a real complicated system)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:thumb:

Isn't it a great feeling, though, to know that the lion's share of the work is behind you, and all that's left is cleanup/tweaking?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yossarian said:
I am with you baboon. Sometimes, as inane as what I do may seem to some, the ramifications for failure can be huge.
Yeah, my boss is really the expert on this stuff, but she is very sick (cancer everywhere) and I have been forced to take this on all by myself. I walked into this project with ZERO knowledge of this system. Because of that, I am sure my director and VP will cut me a lot of slack if there are problems.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I Are Baboon said:
I just a call from our IS guy saying "OK, we're now live." :eek: A year+ of planning, testing, training, and converting just came to a head, as this system we're upgrading just went live. I have never been this involved in a single project. I've always been on a large team, but this time it's just me. It's a high profile project, too.

It's exciting and scary at the same time. No matter how much you test, you always feel that there is something you forgot to do. I guess we'll find out tomorrow when I e-mail 1,000 users instructions for logging in.

I've been in the jaws of conversion for over a year. The company I work for got eaten by a bigger fish, and we had to convert to the bigger fish's system.

I'm not an IT guy, so I wasn't involved with all that, but all the rest of the headaches and communicating the transition to everyone we deal with. Ugh.

I've been to 1000 too many "transition team" meetings.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
binary visions said:
:thumb:

Isn't it a great feeling, though, to know that the lion's share of the work is behind you, and all that's left is cleanup/tweaking?
The real "excitement" will come in two weeks when we process a payroll out of this system. But I am glad all that testing is done.

I'm all pitted out here, and I don't sweat a lot. :D

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I Are Baboon said:

I agree, scary at times - I am responsable for almost everything that runs on electricity here, another office & at four work at homers

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
H8R said:
I'm not an IT guy, so I wasn't involved with all that, but all the rest of the headaches and communicating the transition to everyone we deal with. Ugh.
I am not an IT guy either. I am the functional expert...the only one we have.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
IAB said:
It's exciting and scary at the same time. No matter how much you test, you always feel that there is something you forgot to do
Word. The first time something with my name on it went to Congress, I was freaking out.

Good luck!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I Are Baboon said:
I'm working on implementing and validating a system that will have huge implications for our business processes - it'll basically allow us to stop distribution and sales of parts that we find problems with. So, say we find out that the rubber stopper on a syringe is failing, well, we'll be able to punch a few keystrokes into the database and stop all sales, transfers, and movement of that material instantly.

Needless to say, I'm nervous as hell about it. I've written the proposal, specifications, validation, and I'll be responsible for implementing it after sign-off, so there are problems, there's a lot of stuff with my name on it :dead:

I've managed to avoid the pit stains so far, though...

Good luck with your new system!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I Are Baboon said:
The real "excitement" will come in two weeks when we process a payroll out of this system. But I am glad all that testing is done.

What's the worse thing that could happen? 1000s of people get paid incorrectly or don't get paid.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
DRB said:
What's the worse thing that could happen? 1000s of people get paid incorrectly or don't get paid.

Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
binary visions said:
So, say we find out that the rubber stopper on a syringe is failing, well, we'll be able to punch a few keystrokes into the database and stop all sales, transfers, and movement of that material instantly.
So, how many keystrokes for you to start dropshipping them after I list 'em on E(vil)bay?

IAB: Good luck! We tried a system last year (E-time?). The patient rejected the transplant (all other internal organs either refused to function, sabatoged the work of the new organ, or attacked the new organ directly).