Quantcast

Work commute pannier

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Hi,

I've been bike commuting for the last few months. After about 3 weeks of it, I decided I wanted to get a pannier I could put my lunch and laptop in to get the weight off my back.

I got a Timbuk2 Cog pannier, and all was well. After about 2 months of use, I broke the attachment hardware. It was replaced for me under warranty. On friday, I broke my replacement by grazing the rear wheel of another parked bike with the pannier while exiting the bike cage at work. Cheap plastic busted again and I'm now on the mission for something that will stand up to my highly vigorous (apparently) bike commuting requirements.

It will need to:

Fit a 15" laptop
Fit a small lunch bag
Not explode when you look at it wrong.

Suggestions?

I like the look of the Ortlieb Downtown, and the Thule Pack 'n Pedal Large.

Ortleib has a couple of different offerings that look decent.

I will probably use this bag for bike-to-the-pool-with-Jr. duty as well, so it can be generously sized....

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
JK: I did not "press button"

Squeeb: yeah, not a fan of having a pack on my back when going to work. back sweat... I only have a short ride, so I'm not showering or anything like that.

I've discovered that having a pannier is just super handy for tooling around town and running errands.

Sandro: Not sure I'd want to pay shipping from the "old world" on top of a crazy baller dollar...

The Thule seems to have the most metal in the mounting devices, and the Ortliebs look like they have plastic ones, but are huge and probably robust.