Quantcast

Work from home?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
my wife's current -at home- job is coming to a close for the season and in march i lose my $1k a month GI-bill money for school.....so we've got to figure out another avenue for income.

she could land a customer service type of job at my old work, GMAC ins, but most of her income would go to childcare and make it pointless. so...i'm looking for suggestions/opinions on work from home ideas.
we were looking into getting her certified as a medical coder/biller but i'm not sure how feasible it would be for her to work from home w/ all of the HIPPA laws for privacy. she's currently working for my side job, Spacewalk (big moonwalk thingy's you see at b-day parties), as an at home scheduler/receptionist and it's worked out well. she can make her own hours and, since it's a "family" style business, it's not a big deal if the kids are running around making noise in the background.

i guess i'm just hoping for more ideas or personal testimonies of some flexible at-home jobs.

btw, she has SOME college but no actual degree

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
My buddy's wife works for a major health insurer in NJ and works from home processing and auditing claims for them. She only has to go to the corporate office once or twice per month. No idea how much loot she makes, but I know she doesn't have a college degree.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Technical writing?
If you're a good writer and can grasp even a basic understanding of the subject, tech writing pays very well and can be done at home. My wife works one day a week at home and has several employees that work offsite writing for her.
Not the kind of job you jump into w/o a degree though...and you need to be a good writer

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
My friend's wife works from home doing search engine evaluation/qa for google. Hours are flexible and I think they say it should take 10-20 hours to do the assigned amount of work each week. I know she has an advanced degree but is just staying home with the kids for now and putting in the hours when they're napping or in bed. I think she told me it takes her about 12 hrs/week.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
When I read the title, the first thing I thought was that manimal was gonna sit on the couch with a scope and pop hood rats as they drove by.
He's going to surf my space and facebook looking for pot growers to turn in. :p

P.S. Holy thread necro, Batman!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
He's going to surf my space and facebook looking for pot growers to turn in. :p

P.S. Holy thread necro, Batman!
hahaha...you have quite the memory ;)

as far as an update for the past 3-4 years: my wife went back to in-home childcare and has had kids to keep off an on. she enjoys it, the kids get a safe/loving home to spend the working hours in, and she makes enough money to support my dollar menu habit ;)

i'm actually in the process of a possible career change (still law enforcement related) where she won't HAVE to work because i'll make a decent amount more than i am now AND have regular raises (something we haven't had in 3 years where i'm at now and there's not definite end to the pay/hiring freeze in sight)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i'm actually in the process of a possible career change (still law enforcement related) where she won't HAVE to work because i'll make a decent amount more than i am now AND have regular raises (something we haven't had in 3 years where i'm at now and there's not definite end to the pay/hiring freeze in sight)
blackwater hiring?

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
we were looking into getting her certified as a medical coder/biller but i'm not sure how feasible it would be for her to work from home w/ all of the HIPPA laws for privacy.
I work in Medical Software. If your wife has good keyboarding skills, transcriptionists make decent money and from what I've seen don't even need to be that Tech savvy. I actually work supporting the application that transcriptionists use. If they take away my one day of work from home because of HIPAA or ARRA privacy concerns, I'll go insane. Most of the transcriptionists I've had to deal with have worked from home.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
My buddy's wife works for a major health insurer in NJ and works from home processing and auditing claims for them. She only has to go to the corporate office once or twice per month. No idea how much loot she makes, but I know she doesn't have a college degree.
I work for AT&T and the reason I go the office once in a while is to get out of the house........

J

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
blackwater hiring?
haha...they're called XE now, btw ;)
http://www.xeservices.com/

and no...not going the merc route just yet. i'll know more next week as to where i stand when i take the employment test. i'm still on the fence as to whether or not i want to change jobs because i enjoy what i do..but...i'm also worried about pending pay cuts and loss of benefits; something that is a non-issue where i'm applying.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

and no...not going the merc route just yet. i'll know more next week as to where i stand when i take the employment test. i'm still on the fence as to whether or not i want to change jobs because i enjoy what i do..but...i'm also worried about pending pay cuts and loss of benefits; something that is a non-issue where i'm applying.
federal gov't employee?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Perhaps ;)

I don't want to divulge too much info until I'm further along in the process due to the public nature of this forum
Then you should take it to facebook so that your current employers know your intentions. It is only the right thing to do. Oh, then try to sue them!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

Thank god those conservatives swept into power so they can cut all that wasteful government spending, eh? :thumb: