Quantcast

Work Gloves

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
Last night I had a cut off wheel come apart on me, and cut my hand up pretty good. Of course I didn't have any gloves on, like an idiot.

What gloves do you guys wear when working in the garage? I have a set of heavy leather ones that are good for welding, but terrible for detail work. I had a set of green mechanix gloves, but they got shredded by a milling bit...

Any gloves that are relatively tough, and still give good tactile feeling?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The dollar store by me sells Fox works gloves. They come in orange and blue. The orange ones hold up better. Usually $7 but I have seen them cheaper. Firstly they are very comfortable. They come in XXL. They are cool in the summer. Not so warm in the winter. If you get them wet they smell funny.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
If my job doesn't need leather gloves but I need tactile, I wear mechanics like these

but it seems you need a little more protection. how about something like this? you can probably find some ugly color past model DH glove with the CF inserts on the joints in a clearance box somewhere.

CastleMaster

Monkey
Jan 11, 2010
Upper Newport Bay
I generally don't wear gloves while cutting either and have never had a problem, but yes, accidents do happen. I use the black Mechanix gloves too or pigskin gloves when I need more protection from heat. That's what I normally weld in too. Once they are broken in your sense of touch is actually pretty good.

What kind of disk were you using? What were you cutting? I'm assuming this was on an angle grinder? Was the spark guard still on it? Consider yourself lucky it didn't end up embedded in your face.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I switch between nitrile gloves, mechanics gloves and leather tig gloves depeding on what I'm doing. If it's any sort of grinding/cutoff wheels, I'm using leather gloves. I just take them off if I need better feel. They also help with the heat of cutting/grinding if you grab something hot. Way better than mechanics gloves. I use the mechanics for general fab work like carrying materials, loading the bandsaw, etc. You said shredding by a milling bit....no gloves on the mill or lathe. I'll take my chances rather than risk getting my glove caught in a chuck or spindle.