Quantcast

Work Holdiay in NZ

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Lately, I have been thinking/planning of doing a work holiday down under, in New Zealand. I'm aiming to go there in mid-January, which should be in the middle of summer over there.

One of the reasons I chose New Zealand is because of the awesome riding I've been hearing/reading about. From what I've read, Rotorua is an awesome town with trails that are very accessible. I also know that Queenstown has lift access DH. Since riding is the main motivation for me going over there, I have a few questions about the riding...

Is it worth it for me to bring a DH bike over? Bromont is my home mountain, so my expectations are kind of high in regards to DH...
If not, would a XC/AM bike be a better choice?
Which town/city has the best riding that is easily accessible without a car preferably?

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Just got back from two weeks in Queentown and that place rips. Easy access to the gondola from anywhere in the main district. They also have a couple of companies that run van shuttles to other tracks nearby. Check out www.queenstownbiketaxis.co.nz

There's plenty of XC and AM stuff around town as well as some of the best DJs I've ever seen.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
If working and thats if you can get work try to setup something before coming over ideally, Queenstown living costs can be expensive, but in the know can be done cheaply, but dont expect it to be like overseas income wise, it will barley cover costs. Riding is insane all over Central Otago not just Qtown and thats within an hours driving.

Id bring both bikes if staying awhile and working riding is greatly variable, hiring could get expensive and any job unless working for a hire shop wont cover it. Dont let this put you off, just keeping it real, plenty of people will be willing to help you if you return it sincerely and not take the piss.

Plenty miss out on the real riding in NZ by just going to what they think they know and stick to main name places eg Gondala.

Check out QBT, Jono is a great dude and may have some advice to share for you on Qtown.
http://www.queenstownbiketaxis.co.nz/
Very lest he will take you to some insane shuttle runs DH wise.

Rotorua does have great DH and a shuttle bus 4 days a week over summer and amazing single
track 5mins from town and many more within an hour radius if you have transport or can hook up with others. Again friendly town probably tougher to get work than Qtown but cheaper living costs.

Great season so far also.
Usual places like bar work is probably always available etc

Others might have some good ideas to share or even job offers hopefully, good luck and just do it.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
Lately, I have been thinking/planning of doing a work holiday down under, in New Zealand. I'm aiming to go there in mid-January, which should be in the middle of summer over there.

One of the reasons I chose New Zealand is because of the awesome riding I've been hearing/reading about. From what I've read, Rotorua is an awesome town with trails that are very accessible. I also know that Queenstown has lift access DH. Since riding is the main motivation for me going over there, I have a few questions about the riding...

Is it worth it for me to bring a DH bike over? Bromont is my home mountain, so my expectations are kind of high in regards to DH...
If not, would a XC/AM bike be a better choice?
Which town/city has the best riding that is easily accessible without a car preferably?
take both because NZ is unreal for all riding.
if you have no car then queenstown for DH as the scene is blowing up and its a pretty small town with the mountain right in the middle and plenty of ways to get to other riding all close by. plus your in the south island where the riding is sick so if you scab lifts to other citys you will have fun to.
if you move to Rotorua take a trail bike. the DH track is great fun but there is only 1 or 2 and the rest are rideable on trail bikes. and the trails are unreal there to.

or wellington has the sickest network of trails all over it. good for a trail bike 4-6 inch and no car.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I've been thinking about doing this for several years and if I do it I will need to soon, only a couple years left in my twenties. How essential is a car? Is it going to make someones trip way better or just a little? I was planning on going for an entire year if I go and doing both islands. Thanks for the advice

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Thanks for the replies guys.

What are the trails like at Skyline? I've seen a lot of videos and pics of very flowy and groomed stuff. Do the trails vary a little more than that? I'm used to very rough trails with lots of roots and rocks. Queenstown seems pretty attractive right now. I like the thought of hitting DH runs after work every day without having to go too far. However, I'm not a fan of the high cost of living that comes with Queenstown being a resort town.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Before I went I was concerned that the trails in the video looked kind of flowy and a little bit dull. However, I think these trails tend to make the videos because they're easy to film rather than because they're representative of whats there. Sure there are some flowy lines, but tracks like World Cup, Avalanche, Grundy and Ant's track are steep and rocky as. World Cup is probably as tech as Goat's Gully but faster and shorter.

It is well worth going on a shuttle day to Dirt Park as well, as that is tech as well and one of the best tracks I rode over there.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Just had a long talk with a friend who might be coming along with me. Queenstown is looking very promising for us right now.

Has anyone else worked and lived in Queenstown before that can share their experience?