Quantcast

Work Party Greenlake Dirt jumps

BeRad66

Chimp
Jan 6, 2008
Sea Town, Wash.
Hello all

Over the last several months a few dedicated riders have been spending countless hours giving the greenlake dirt jumps a facelift. The greenlake jumps have been around for close to 15 years now, but in the last few years they have been warn down and have become more and more difficult to ride. So now this is where u can help.
We want to rebuild greenlake to make it a good place to ride again. We have started with rebuilding the east coast line ( the far left line). Unlike the old greenlake the lips and landings are wide and consistant and have been rebuilt with real dirt. No More Crushed Brick!! We have one lip to finish before that line is rideable. So our next phaze is to start on the main line of doubles and the table tops. Because of the large amount of work your help would be much aprecated by all who ride and maintain the jumps.

The first work party will be next sunday the 13th at 10am
we have some shovels, rakes, picks,and a wheel barrow but if you could bring your own that would be great. having a second wheel barrow would be a big help!!

Ill post some picture later of the work we have already done.

Hope to see you out there

B-Rad

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
i might make it down there. not sure how much i can do one-handed but i'll snap some pics at the least. if anybody is down for some ghetto slalom in the park afterwards I could bring some cones and play timer.

NOOP

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
Are these jumps rideable on a downhill/freeride bike or just bmx bikes?
There's different lines, so yes, you can ride your DH bike there. However, a dirt jump bike will be more versatile and probably more fun. In any case, go check it out. Also, there's a couple of drops just above (up the hill) the jumps, so you can hit those on your big bike.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Also, there's a couple of drops just above (up the hill) the jumps, so you can hit those on your big bike.
You talking about the ones at the end of the line of jumps that send the person doing the drop directly into the path of any person coming off the last few jumps? I hate that....

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
I was just out there checking things out and it looks good. I especially like the new line where you can transfer from the third set in Eastcoast to the second set in the middle line. I guess you've always been able to do that but now it looks a little more legit.
BTW: Does anyone know if bikes will be allowed in the new skatepark down there? If the skaters say "no you guys have the dirt jumps"; I would gladly let them ride the jumps in exchange for letting us into the skatepark.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I don't know the progress of the skatepark, but it's NO BIKES!!!!!!

my thought on this? Good luck keeping bikes out.

your going to have days when no skaters show up because the weather or whatever and the kids on bikes WILL go in the skatepark.

your going to have dads with their kids who have NO CLUE about the rules of skateparks riding around on they wallyworld bikes.

That area gets DUSTY in the summer. the skatepark is going to be slick as hell, so I imagine days when no skaters show up. again, the bikes will go in there.

the thing about greenlake is, it's not just people that are serious about dirt jumping that cruise through there, you get ALL KINDS and those kinds don't know that rules even exist...

I think it's a good thing..:D

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
If the skaters say "no you guys have the dirt jumps"; I would gladly let them ride the jumps in exchange for letting us into the skatepark.
That's rad. I'd be ok with them jumping east coast on their mountain boards. Pretty rad to watch brone after bone get broken. But if they think they'll be able to keep bikes out, there's something wrong in the head. I'm pretty sure most, if not all skateparks say no bikes in the rules. Some are just more slack about it. What are they going to do? call the cops because we're riding bikes?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
What are they going to do? call the cops because we're riding bikes?
yes.
and when cops show up, various things can happen.

1. you get asked/told to leave
2. you get a ticket
3. you get arrested and your bicycle impounded.

all three happen daily someplace in the USA.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
people do call the cops. some have even been arrested for riding bikes in skateparks. it will definitely be extremely hard for them to keep bikes out though, and I will be a part of the problem for sure!

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
I'm not sure if it's "bike friendly" or not but I just rode the Samamish skatepark which is actually at the Police station and had no problems. I was also the only one there which is probably why I had no problems. Man not having to work on a week day sure is cool!

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
yes.

2. you get a ticket

Didn't you give up on mountain bikes and go back to your 20" toy bike!:cheers:

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
yes.

2. you get a ticket

Could this be a Civil Rights issue? I mean it's a public park paid for by the tax payers. Maybe if enough of us get busted we could contact the ACLU!
Maybe I'm just thinking too much.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Could this be a Civil Rights issue? I mean it's a public park paid for by the tax payers. Maybe if enough of us get busted we could contact the ACLU!
Maybe I'm just thinking too much.
Most of these skateparks are NOT paid for by taxpayers. The funds often come from monies raised by outside people. (ie, skaters and their family/friends/etc). Sometimes the parks dept/city will match their monies.

For those parks that ARE paid for by the tax payers, the rules state "no bikes". You might have a case. contact the ACLU.

good luck....

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Me no kid......

today, however, I pedaled around on my little bike.. I remembered what it's like to smash my knee into my bars...good time.