Quantcast

Work Voicemail

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
What do you consider to be an appropriate length of voicemail?

Are you the "Hi, it's Mr. X calling. Please call me back at ###-####" type of person?

Or are you the "Hi, let me tell you the entire history of this issue I'm calling you about" type of person.

I've noticed that mine tend to be 1:15 to 1:20 long, but I've got some complex chit to convey, and not a lot of time wait for a call back to re-explain stuff.

Just wondering. I just find it uncanny how consistent mine are in duration.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Less than a minute. I hate listening (and often don't) to long messages, I will call you for the whole story.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Depends who I'm calling and what it's about. Most are probably in the fifteen to twenty second range.

Messages about the least complicated problems often end up being the longest because I'll explain what needs to be done. For more complicated stuff I'll just tell them to call me back so I can explain everything.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
More than 30 seconds is too long. Just tell me:

Your name and number.
Brief explanation of why you are calling (e.g. "I have a few questions about my June budget")
Tell me when is a good time to call you back.
Repeat your name and number.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i rather send an email.
that way, i have proof i tried to reach you, and the ball was in your court... in case the **** hits the fan.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
With virtual voicemail I rarely even listen to voicemail, just call back.
At most, if I don't recognize the number, I listen just to get the name and #.

Customers often leave me VM that they are afraid of saying in person/on a call.
They think they can bitch about something or try and increase the job scope unilaterally (and at no cost; 'while your there please do X,Y,Z as they should only take a minute') and it will simply be accepted as gospel.

If you're* too busy to speak directly to me go F yourself.
I wouldn't trust 'complex stuff' to a voicemail either. We require written/email correspondence for anything 'important' to make sure everything is understood/clear and documented.

* a generic 'you' DaPeach, unless MMike actually was using your acct to post

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i rather send an email.
that way, i have proof i tried to reach you, and the ball was in your court... in case the **** hits the fan.
This.

I have weekly phone meetings with the overseas team and it's painful. Spoken word gets lost in translation. When it is written, it can be clarified.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
When I leave voicemails, I usually leave my name, my number, and the topic of the call first. Then, if they want to stop listening and call me back, they can. Or if they want to know more details, they can keep listening.

When people call me, I listen long enough to know who they are (if I have their number), or what their number is (if I don't). Then I delete the voicemail. I'm not listening to 5 minutes of your rambling, thanks.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
nope. If I don't fee like answering I don't And how dare you call me?? What makes you think you are so important that I can stop what I'm doing to talk to you. Email me or text me, and I'll get to you.
By "meeting" I meant "dropping the kids off at the pool".

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
i rather send an email.
This.

I have weekly phone meetings with the overseas team and it's painful. Spoken word gets lost in translation. When it is written, it can be clarified.

These. I avoid phonecalls, both making and receiving whenever possible (outside calls of course). If it's a vendor/salesman/applications engineer I work with often and am comfortable with, then I'll call them or answer when they call. If not, I ignore the call, let them leave a voicemail, and email them back if it's important/pertinent to my job. Also weeds out a lot of sales pitches and stupid work related survey type stuff.

The worst is when people send you an email that says "please call me so we can talk about this".........yeaaaaaaano. Just ask/tell me what you want in the email ya dink.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I find that after my brief message if I say "Oh well I guess we can talk about it when I get there in an hour". I get an almost immediate call back.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO

Your name and number.
Brief explanation of why you are calling (e.g. "I have a few questions about my June budget")
This. Always repeat your info at the beginning and end of the message.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I wonder what SS's opinion on the matter is. :rofl:

Ps - sent this from my phone floating around the pool. With risk comes rewards.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Name, company, phone at the beginning; issue; reiterate contact info. <1min max.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I hang up before the voicemail beeps over to recording. Immediately then send email or other form of (better) communication.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
am surprised at how many people leave voicemails...
i dont use them anymore.

i never check mine... by the time i notice i have a voicemail; i figure, if it was really important, they would have already contacted me somehow, anyway.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van

Your name and number.
Im very good about repeating my number. Mumblers are the worst.

Are you one of those assholes who answers his phone during a meeting?
My boss does that. It's ridi ulous. He also eats mixed nuts during meetings.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Its funny how people are touting email. While I DO certainly send/receive a ton of email everyday, people are all about the phonecall where I work.

I DO need to shorten them up...

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Depends one the customer and situation. If its a cold call, name, company and number; that's it. If it is a customer that needs an answer, I will leave it in the message so that they will not need to call me back. If it is a repeat customer I never leave a message as they know my number and will return the call just based on the fact that I rang.