Quantcast

Workflow Solutions

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Situation: Want photo DB that is editable/manageable across a network by different machines at the same time.

I've been using LR forever for most of that, but turns out it's not capable of sharing catalogs across a network.

Is there a better solution, or am I shunted into the clunky combo of Bridge and Photoshop/Adobe CR?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
There is a few enterprise level apps that can do this I believe, but nothing as good as lightroom and aperture. Bridge will, but it sucks. Not sure on aperture, maybe worth looking into?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
All of our machines are PCs, sadly, cutting Aperture out of the loop.

Our "studio" has three boxes (two desktops for editing and a laptop used for tethering/mobile editing). I was going to pick up a 6TB Drobo and use that for image storage/backup.

Something that can span across that would be spectacular. I wonder how large studios with multiple photographers get away with this.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Most use network database software to keep track of things, and then edit locally on copies of images...NOT originals on their network storage.

There is lots of enterprise level DB media manager software - you always have to pull the image locally as far as I know. This is why MS bought expressions media manager. It used to be iview media manager when i used it before lightroom and aperture.

It appears to have been abandoned now by MS tho.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Continuing on with the enduring epic...

How feasible would running an image server be with a VPN and accessing LR using that?

Would ethernet speed be sufficient?

We really don't want to ditch LR, and since it's only 2 photogs, editing copies on our machines would be a major PITA.