Quantcast

Working at a coffee shop?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Ok, i got a job at a bike shop. Fri-Mon 8:30 to 6

It pays 8 or 9 an hour. So this leaves me with 3 days off to work at a coffee shop.

Here is the thing, I dont know **** about coffee and it sounds like it will be hard, but a good place to meet chicks :devil: Any ways it only pays 7 with tips, there are 2 shifts, 5:30 to 12 or 12 to 6 How hard is it to work in a coffee shop and will working full time be a total drag?

Again, i dont know any thing about coffee and it sounds like most of it is customer service and putting a smile on, but nonetheless really hectic.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
you just gotta bite the bullet and learn. You'll pick things up as you go along, of course it's all going to be new to you. I worked at Noah's bagels, worst experience in the world, especially having to work sunday mornings when all the people coming back from church want a bagel.
as for working full time, welcome to the real world, buddy.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
As for how hard, it depends on what machines they use. With a superauto, you press the button and the drink comes out. A semi-auto will require a little bit of learning and knowledge...not much, and it isn't hard to figure out.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Silver said:
As for how hard, it depends on what machines they use. With a superauto, you press the button and the drink comes out. A semi-auto will require a little bit of learning and knowledge...not much, and it isn't hard to figure out.
my coffee shop understanding is that n00bs tend to work the register, not the coffee machine (wtf is a BARISTA???).

mack, give both jobs your full effort and let us know how it goes!

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
I think if you work at a bike shop and presumably work on bikes, you are capable of making coffee, even the fancy stuff. Adjusting a rear derraileur takes more skill than making a latte.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
BSEVEER said:
I think if you work at a bike shop and presumably work on bikes, you are capable of making coffee, even the fancy stuff. Adjusting a rear derraileur takes more skill than making a latte.
Yea, well, it costs a latte to drink one damn cup of those.

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
If you happen to work in a cool place with cool people that dont treat you like sh!t, a barista job can be alright. Definitely better part time, so your life isn't hectic all the time. I worked as a bike mech./barista for a time and it was cool. Made more $$ as a barista, pretty sad for the bike industry.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I m sure there are a lot tougher things to learn than working in a coffee shop. and as far as working full time, get used to it. Its the only way to afford that new bike you want