Quantcast

Working in Greenland

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Finally got around to uploading some work pics from a project I did in Greenland last fall.
After posting about videogames in the random picture thread I kinda felt I had to prove I do leave the house sometimes...
Photos were taken with a phone and uploading them hasnt done them much good, but its all I got.

I decided i should arrive a few days ahead of schedule so I would have a chance to look around, and from the town of Kangerlussuaq, I took a domestic flight to a small harbor town called Illulisat. With 4500 people (and a much great numer of sled dogs) this is the 3rd biggest city in Greenland. Its main industries are oil and whaling but its also a popular place for wealthy tourists wanting to see the Northern lights and the Illulisat ice fjord which is an Enesco World Herritage site.
It was stunning.

(click for bigger pics)

After two days in a fancy hotel with some rich ass Russians (I swear I didnt sell them any state secrets...)it was time to go to work. My project was on an island about 3 hours from the mainland by boat. You know, depending on how many icebergs are floating around...

Disko Island is home to about 1000 Inuit, who live there mostly from fishing and hunting, and who appearently really needed an artificial grass football/soccer field...

When I got there they were almost done with preparing a sub base. A job that is normally done in a week with very expensive machinery, but which took them months since all they had was an old loader and a village worth of volunteers.
And for living on a remote island thats cut off from the rest of the world for a good 4 months a year, they might have been the happiest, friendliest people Ive ever worked with...

The field was about 5m from the ocean and you could see icebergs floating by and whales breaching in the back ground all day long. Without a doubt the coolest place Ive ever built a football field...

We usually have different machines to do the final part of the job, which is filling the grass up with sand and rubber grain, but shipping was incredibly expensive so we decided to improvise and had the locals build a generator with a hydraulic pump on the back of an ATV.

It was also without a doubt the coldest place Ive ever built a football field. But it was totally worth it...

Hope you enjoyed...

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
very cool! do the boats just ram the icebergs to push them out of the way, or do they have to gingerly pussy-foot their way around? The far north is a cool place to visit, but I can't imagine what it would be like living in a place with no trees/shrubs. It's so spooky.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
The boats can ram some of the smaller pieces of ice that float around but generally have to find their way around them. I was only there for two weeks but I got out just in time before the ocean froze over all together and the only way to reach the island is by helicopter. Locals have to make sure they have enough food to last them for 4 months because theyre pretty much isolated from the mainland except in case of an emergency.

At the place where I was on the mainland there were a lot of problems with alcohol abuse etc, but on the island the problems werent as bad, Im guessing cause its a much smaller community...

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
that's really cool you got to do that. seems like the Inuit there have the same alcohol problems as they do in Alaska. kinda reminds me of a girl from Bangor Maine I met thru work and I had asked her what there was to do up there and she said, well in the winter it's either drink or fuck. alrighty then!!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Really neat, seems like some of the villages I travel to in Alaska. Just looking at ones on google maps in Greenland, Northern Canadia and Russia, I see a lot of similarities in terms of configuration, buildings, etc. Cool pics for sure.

On the having food for 4 months, on Little Diomede (also only reachable by helicopter), natives go and cut holes in the pack ice, drop crab pots down, and yank up a few king crabs with pretty minimal work. They actually sell them to Norton Sound Seafood in Nome, or just eat them. There are some cool vids on youtube of this.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
On the having food for 4 months, on Little Diomede (also only reachable by helicopter), natives go and cut holes in the pack ice, drop crab pots down, and yank up a few king crabs with pretty minimal work. They actually sell them to Norton Sound Seafood in Nome, or just eat them. There are some cool vids on youtube of this.
Ive actually done this myself in Norway once. King crab is so tasty...
Unfortunately in Greenland they were more into eating whale, me being a seashepherd member this got a bit weird at times. Especially when invited to someones house for dinner. :disgust:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Nice work. I would love to do QA on those fields. :rofl:
A lot of the fields we make need to be FIFA approved before they play on them, the bigger clubs need a very strict 2 star rating in order for them to play on an international level.
Some of the tests they do are absurd and I think the fields we make are better then natural fields in terms of consistency.

Its a nice job I guess but some of the guys are cunts. :D