Quantcast

Working on a Cruise ship?

yesimaddicted

Monkey
Apr 28, 2007
centeral Euroland via CA
Anyone have experience doing this/knows someone that does?

ya it could be ****y but its also a way to make money and have very low overhead(plus see some new places). but being a college kid it could also work out well

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I went on a cruise in July and asked a girl working there how it worked out. She said you have to sign a contract. She was on a three month contract. You pretty much go to sea for three months straight. You don't go home at all within that amount of time. You have to sign a contract that states that you won't just bail on them. You pretty much can't bail anyway. SHe was from Chile. She said it's pretty hard. She said the Filipino's are the ones with usually the longest contracts. Some of them were signed up for 9 months. She also said that rooms are shared with the other people that work there, obviously.
It could be hard, but if you're young it could be a really cool experience. You have the potential to meet a lot of really cool people and really hot girls.

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
My cousin did it and she said it blew. Like Leppah said, you're signed into a contract and the work is pretty tough. Not manual labor hard but some what physically hard depending on what your position is and mentally challenging dealing with so many people?

yesimaddicted

Monkey
Apr 28, 2007
centeral Euroland via CA
heard if you dont speak english perfectly you get the worse jobs. it all depends on if i could find a good contract. im not looking to spend hella days so i got to keep shopping. im also looking at helping a guide service for summer employment. who knows

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i had a friend who did it. she was a slut. she said the work sucked, the pay was worse but she got to have a lot of sex. from the sound of things, you could do all the same **** working at any number of beachfront dives restaurants in my town and make better money. she concurred.

i don't think you get to see as much of the world as they would like you to think either. from my experience working on boats, your times at port are usually the busiest as a crew member because you are offloading trash, passengers etc and loading supplies. you are working so other people can have fun on their vacation.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I was on a cruise last October, one of the drink servers at the adult pool our group drank at everyday became close with us. He said the work is pretty easy but the hours suck. He worked 14-16 hours a day for the the entire length of his 6 month contract. The only American poeple working on the ships have higher up positions(Entertainment, managment) the pay for the other jobs is not worth it.

He said he was allowed to get off the ship once a week for the day when we were at port. There is never time to do much, he basically shopped, called home, and ate. He also said the food below deck is pretty crappy, mostly indian/Eastern food(He was Rominain). I see where he is coming from with the food, after 6 months of the same crap it has to get old.

If you want to make $$$ and get some poon tang I would try to get a job as a bar backer at a college bar/night club.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I'm going on a cruise next month, I'll let you know how it is.
A Couger cruise would be a hell of time!

Two before the cruise I went on mentioned above the ship was filled to capacity with nudists(2000+). Our Romanian drink server said that it was a bunch of old fukkers but about a third of the passengers were 25-35 years old and hot!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I was on a cruise last October, one of the drink servers at the adult pool our group drank at everyday became close with us. He said the work is pretty easy but the hours suck. He worked 14-16 hours a day for the the entire length of his 6 month contract. The only American poeple working on the ships have higher up positions(Entertainment, managment) the pay for the other jobs is not worth it.
Also, due to no minimum wage requirements (and an international talent pool to draw on), you're basically stooping to whatever salary they'd normally offer to people from impoverished countries. If you can get a higher-level position I'd say go for it, but if not you'd be better off working at an actual resort.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Also, due to no minimum wage requirements (and an international talent pool to draw on), you're basically stooping to whatever salary they'd normally offer to people from impoverished countries.
This is why no cruise ships or very very few cruise ships fly the American flag. Fly the stars and stripes and pay the stars and stripes wages.

FYI: Carnival Cruises sucks balls

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When I first got out of the Navy I looked at working on a cruise line. It would have been in navigation and the pay was pretty good from what I recall. I wasn't single at the time, or I would have done it for a little while anyway.

But it wasn't like I would have been a server or bus boy.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
This is why no cruise ships or very very few cruise ships fly the American flag. Fly the stars and stripes and pay the stars and stripes wages.

FYI: Carnival Cruises sucks balls
Same goes for crimes and people falling overboard, the statistics for both are both greatly underestimated. Every country has different rules about reporting such things, that's why most cruise ships fly under central and south american flags. :rolleyes: