Quantcast

Working Out

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Crazy Sweeper said:
Another note of interest, if you're trying to do this with Aubrey. Make sure you never tell each other your progress. That way differences will not discourage the other one.

I disagree, if they have a happy/healthy relationship I am sure they are mature enough to hear how the other one is doing w/o getting upset/jealous....

if they share their results they can encourage each other & push each other, plus a lot of peeps do much better w/ a training partner

ps: great job losing the lbs

ps#2: I almost also use my mp3 player while doing cardio at the gym

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
douglas said:
I disagree, if they have a happy/healthy relationship I am sure they are mature enough to hear how the other one is doing w/o getting upset/jealous....

if they share their results they can encourage each other & push each other, plus a lot of peeps do much better w/ a training partner

Yeah me and Aubrey are doing it together but not to challange each other just so we have someone else there with us to hang out and help each other. We're both going for pretty much the same reason.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
hooples3 said:
stosh.. do yourself a favor and get the book "body for life" by bill phillips.. it explains everything from eating to working out and how to do so. well worth it!!!!

also if you wanted check out bicycling .com .. has a trainer.. from chris carmicheals people.. they set up a whole shcedule for you.. that incorparates working out and what ever aerobic excercises you want to do
Does that book come on tape?

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
douglas said:

I think my point was missed. I'm not saying they shouldn't be training buddies, but I know from personal experience and numerous secondhand experiences (I think I've read it before too) that it can discourage one of the two because their results are not as good. I'm talking mainly about weight changes, more than anything else. I know my boss was in weight watchers with his wife and that was one of the first things they told them. I'm not totally disagreeing with you Doug, ideally you are right but some people find it too easy to see their partners improvements as their own lack of improvements.

If_Rider

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
Massachusetts
Go easy on the weights at first...real easy. If you've never lifted you will be sore afterwards. Trainers can be good and bad when you're starting out. I've seen some trainers over work first timers who were so sore they hated weights from then on.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I ride my bike a lot and feel that it gives me all the cardio I need. I go to the gym to work on things that I don't get from bike riding, like core strength (lots of ab work, even though it's a losing battle), stretching, some weights. If you really don't know where to begin, you should definitely talk to a trainer. Yeah it might be hard to ask for help but your alternative is to waste a lot of time, and soon enough the trainers watching you will know that you don't know what you're doing anyway. You can always modify their recommendations based on what works for you.

Like others have said, it's important to go consistently. Like with riding you lose ground way faster than you gain it. I also think it's important to be engaged and focused while you are there - if you're going to make the effort, focus on getting the most our of your workout and don't just mail it in. I guess something is better than nothing but I'm amazed at how lethargic some people are when they are "working out." I mean, just being in the gym won't do a lot.