Quantcast

Working up to a century - tips?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
My goal for this summer is to do my first century, but I'm having trouble increasing my mileage. I can do 50-60 miles now through "rolling" hills with no stops, which seems like a good start. I think I could probably struggle through a highly supported/frequent stops charity century now, but it would definitely be a struggle. My problem is that most, ok... all my rides are solo, and I have a hard time motivating myself to do longer rides by myself.

Aside from bribing some people to ride with me, any suggestions on things I can do to work my way up to a century ride?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Find a buddy. Money works...family is easier.

That's how I did my first. (family...granted, extended family...but whatev....)

Today, I did a 70 mile, 5,000 ft climbing ride and all I did was follow a designated route (it was an organized ride, but I didn't register and just rode....rode a lot)

I just found a group and paced them....if it got too slow, I passed and found the next group.

Edit: It's easier if you have a goal. My goal last year was a double-century....doesn't matter if you have a partner...make some poor schmoe who's bigger than you do all the pulling. Buy him a beer after the ride....say thanks!!...whatever..

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'd hit up your local shop and find some guys to ride with. Having company always helps on the longer rides. I find that its nice if there is someone there even if it's only for a couple of hours. Maybe do 50 or 60 miles on your own and then hook up with some people for the last part of the ride.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I would say find a ride at 70 miles and just ride it, mostly by yourself and time it every step.

I found a route in my area and since I have a really good time hack on it I know how slow I am or how much I need to improve, it works really well from year to year as well. I can go back and compare times.

riding with others is never consistent for me or around here.

I think you will get more gratification out of seeing the results from your own work rather than a pace line

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sounds like a mental block rather than anything physical. If you can do 50 - 60 miles with no stops you can do a century, you just have to believe it. Pace yourself, eat and drink small amounts constantly, and maybe find a less hilly route. Yeah, it might hurt a little (or a lot), but it's not like your legs will fall off, and the feeling of accomplishment is worth it.

Gotta say though, poaching organized rides is pretty lame, especially charity rides.