Quantcast

Workout opinions

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I've read a bunch information that has been posted here and tried to incorporate what I've read into my weight training. So, I wanted to post this and see what you guys thought. I've just started lifting again for the off-season. I have not been hitting my max on weights yet, just trying to get my body back into the routine. I want to lift to improve power.

I have been lifting 3 days a week, usually MWF and if it's nice out on the weekend I'll do a ride but nothing serious. I start my workout with 10 minutes on the rowing machine to warm up, usually get about 2300 meters in. I go throught the following weight machines, but not in any real order except that I do a leg machine followed by upper body. Each machine I do 3 sets of 9 or 10 reps, trying to max out at the end of each set.

Leg Press
Leg Curls
Leg Extensions
Hack Machine

Low Row
High Row
Chest machine. (don't know what it's called....I call it the butterfly)

some form of abs. Either hanging from the pull up bar and curling my legs up, or using the ab thingy that supports you at the waist. (love those great descriptions....:oink: )

Any opinions? Am I missing something that needs to be worked out for riding? :help:

Thanks

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
You're doing legs three times a week? That seems like a lot.

My winter weight program is a day each for back(Mon), chest(Wed), shoulders(Fri - a lot of shoulder injuries happen while riding) and legs(Thurs-depends on how many days I get to ride). I usually do four exercises for each part. If I'm short on time for the week, I combine the back/chest day and do supersets.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Sounds like you have a pretty good routine going, but here are a few suggestions (I am certified by the American College of Sports Medicine).

1) Its great that you are alternating low body with upper body exercises. Keep in mind that its best to begin with the large muscle groups and then work towards the smaller muscle groups (leg press first, then leg extension, then leg curl).

2) I would definitely add some core work (abs and lower back). This will help with the balance aspects of riding. Bicycle crunches and supermans are great. If you have time, I would add some lateral shoulder raises and maybe some lat pull downs.

3) If you are going for power, I might decrease your reps to 3-5 and increase your weight (at least one day per week).

4) I would consider increasing your cardio workouts--they will so help with riding, even DH riding! I would do at least 30 minutes on the treadmill, eliptical or bike, 3-5 days per week. Do intervals at least a couple days per week. i.e. 3 minutes at an easy to moderate pace then 1 minute at a vigorous pace. Then repeat until the 30 minutes is over. Be sure to warm up and cool down properly.

I hope this helps. All of this stuff can be overwhelming, so I suggest that you add each new element at a gradual pace. Maybe one new thing per week or something.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Wumpus - 3 days of legs does seem like a lot to me too, but I'm only doing it on the off season. Once riding season is back in full swing I'll drop to once a week. (or at least that's the plan, somehow the gym doesn't seem nearly as attractive when it's nice out!)

GrapeApe - Good feedback, thanks! I forgot to mention that I sit on an excercise ball at work instead of chair. That gives my core a little bit of workout every day. But, I'll probably try to add in some more eventually.

Thanks!

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
The exercise ball is the deal! I used to sit on the exercise ball at my old job. I got a lot of attention--it was awesome!

If you have any more exercise Q's, just let me know. Its my little hobby (when I'm not riding or skiing).

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Wumpus said:
My winter weight program is a day each for back(Mon), chest(Wed), shoulders(Fri - a lot of shoulder injuries happen while riding) and legs(Thurs-depends on how many days I get to ride). I usually do four exercises for each part. If I'm short on time for the week, I combine the back/chest day and do supersets.
Well, I broke my hand at the beginning of March and was pretty limited to what I could do.

I ended up doing legs twice a week -- squats, leg press, leg curl, lower back thingy and lunges(w/o weights). I was ran 3-4 miles 2 to 3 times a week and a five to six miler once a week. It made a noticeable improvement in my biking strength when I finally got cleared at the end of May.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
GrapeApe79 said:
3) If you are going for power, I might decrease your reps to 3-5 and increase your weight (at least one day per week).
I've been trying to hit the gym 3-4 times per week. I typically do 10 reps x3.

I'm going mostly for power but I do want to build lean, endurance muscle rather than bulk. Last night I tried upping my weight and doing 7 reps x3. Is that enough to make a difference? Would you recommend I do that every workout or should I stick with my 10x3 and do as you recommended (3-5x3) once a week?

I'm limited on the # of machines I have available... I do benches sitting upright on the machine, lat pulls on the lat machine, tricep workout also on the lat machine (standing on the seat gripping the bar on either side of the cord), curls with free weights and.. arm lifts? Where you hold the weight standing straight up and keeping your arm straight, lift it in front of you until it's 90 degrees to your body.

I do situps on the situp bench.

Any other recommendations on something I should be doing with the free weights?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Why not move to much higher reps, like 15-20? I believe cyclists are doing much higher reps since it is better for endurance athletes, as opposed to mass gain which comes with lower reps...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
sanjuro said:
Why not move to much higher reps, like 15-20? I believe cyclists are doing much higher reps since it is better for endurance athletes, as opposed to mass gain which comes with lower reps...
Well, I'm a pretty skinny guy so I would like to be building muscle as well. I'm not "bulking up" per se (it's not really body shape thing and I don't want to put on a ton of weight), but I would like to build a better strength base rather than just tone and build endurance.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:rofl:

Yeah, I've got pictures of that guy all around my apartment as my inspiration. It is my goal to one day have biceps that are bigger around than my waist.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
Morryjg said:
I've read a bunch information that has been posted here and tried to incorporate what I've read into my weight . Each machine I do 3 sets of 9 or 10 reps, trying to max out at the end of each set.

Leg Press
Leg Curls
Leg Extensions
Hack Machine

Low Row
High Row
Chest machine. (don't know what it's called....I call it the butterfly)

Thanks
Ok, for startes stay away from machines and focus more on Structural exercises over Assistance exercises (Isolation)
Ditch all those Leg exercises and do Squats, Dead Lifts, and Lunges (not all in one day mind you).

It goes against what's in all the Body Building magazines but unless you are a body builder focusing purely on aesthetics then Isolation exercises are actually counter productive. Outside of Body building you don't see any top athletes spending much time on Isolation exercises. They focus more on structural exercises Like Squats, Bench Press, Rows, etcc.. Exercises that use muscles in combination, the way they were intended to be used.

Again, I highly recommend "New Rules for Lifting" by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Congrove, it will change the way you think about lifting and provide you with the tools you need to get the most out of your workouts.