Quantcast

workout questions

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA
Would like some advice on what I am doing and if its ok. I wish to loose the fat in my mid-section and just be more in shape for next season. I have 3 days a week to workout. Sunday or Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Currently with the weights I am doing 3 sets of 10 increasing to 3 sets of 15 then increasing the weight and going back to 3 sets of 10 and I keep repeating this process. Not sure if that does anything or not.

Bench press
Rows
Curls
Leg/knee extentions
Calve raises

Without weights I am just doing what I feel comfortable with but try to increase reps when I can.

Squats
Pull ups
crunches on a ball
lifting my legs/butt off the ground while on weight bench(not sure what its called)
Perform different motions with a one of those rubber band type things just to use different muscles.

Then 40-60 minutes on an exercise bike.

The other days I do not workout. When biking weather comes back I'll be riding and probably not doing any of these so its pretty much just something do in the winter in an attempt to keep fit.

If it matters I am 5'8" 160-165 32 years old.

Thanks

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just my $.02, try adding more core strength exercises. You can have strong arms and legs but your body won't be able to take advantage of it unless your core muscles are up to snuff.

Learn how to do power clans and do alot of atomic sit-ups.
put youlegs 6 inches of the ground and bring your lega up as u situp and go back to six inches do as many sets of 20 you can. Also do Phsylo Push ups:
Get a meddicine ball and put 1 hand on it and do a pushup alternate each hand after every pushup, do 3 sets of 12 w/ these. Also do as mutch cardio as possible. Yoou will get lots of definition and core/stablizer strength.
If you keeep doing this on top of other exercizes u will be able to climb and ride faster than a somenabitch.

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA
Westy said:
Just my $.02, try adding more core strength exercises. You can have strong arms and legs but your body won't be able to take advantage of it unless your core muscles are up to snuff.

Do you mean things specificly around abs and back? I can do some searchs and find more exercises for those. Any other tips or specific exercises would be great.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
OK, here's what I make my volleyball team do fo preseason work outs, followed by the same work out but lighter during the season.
MW: (Machines are 15-13-11)
Leg Press
Bench Press
Core Balance (have weight in one hand, stand on opposite foot. start with weight above shoulder, bring across body stretching out free foot. back up and raising the weight over head. x15 ea side)
Ab work out (275+ any type of ab work [situps, crunches, etc] with 10lb weight)
Run
Lunges w/ weights (weights in each hand, stepping forward and lowering the knee to 90* without touching the ground. keeeping back straight and head up.)

TTH work out;
Plyometrics. check these things out, they're pretty kick ass. they are work outs using your body weight as the weight. I highly suggest using these, they have increased my vert from 24" to 30" in about 2 months.
Stairs, run them.

That's all I got. if you need more info on plyo's or such PM me.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
Westy said:
Dudeski's, westy has a great point. free weights increase balance and help you know where your body is. think about if you're biking and about to fall off a cliff...bbuuutt since you did your core exercises, you know your balance points...piiyump