Quantcast

Works components angled reducers

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Anyone running the works components angled reducer cups in there 2010 Glory?I was considering getting some and need some feedback,what is the headangle,bb height and wheelbase change after install?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
heres a peek at the first batch of production cups for the Giant/Hayes Bicycle Team.

Jason Memmelaar has been running a prototype set of cups for the past few months now, lets just say he is very pleased with the geo of the 2010 glory.

Cant really give numbers on the cups just yet since the production cups have changed a bit since the proto. milled down another 1.5 and deeper insertion depth as well.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Have just ordered a set for myself... will let you know my thoughts once they're installed and I've crashed a few times...

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
heres a peek at the first batch of production cups for the Giant/Hayes Bicycle Team.

Jason Memmelaar has been running a prototype set of cups for the past few months now, lets just say he is very pleased with the geo of the 2010 glory.

Cant really give numbers on the cups just yet since the production cups have changed a bit since the proto. milled down another 1.5 and deeper insertion depth as well.
Those look great. How much stack to you gain on the top?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
These look pretty sweet, I'm really interested in some reviews guys.
Looks like there is a way to fix that steep head angle on the 6.6 ;)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The Works Components ones are cheaper than the K9's which is nice, most people won't want/need a new headset.

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
I installed them in my 08 Glory freeride. Stack height dropped, head angle slacker, along with the lower bb. The big thing for me was that it allowed me to run the flat crown and along with the lower stack height dropped the front end nicely. I don’t have exact measurements as I am at work but the bike feels great like this. I can’t wait to check it out on the 7th at Highland!!!

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Arrived fine (5 days from the UK).

Installation went ok - top cup is easy, aligning the lower one is a bit trickier.

Can't visibly see much of a difference but can feel the steering 'flop' more as would be expected. Hard to say whether the ride is really much different (I've been off the bike for 5 months with an injury), but it's done what it is supposed to, and also lowered the handlebars a fair bit (lower stack than previous hs).

Pretty happy with it.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Hey Yuroshek...

you guys having any problems with these things moving on ya? I have a customer out here running them and he brought the bike in today. The cups have rotated inside the headtube a good 1/4".

Thinking of knocking them out, and instead of greasing the cups, using some blue loctite. Any thoughts?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Hey Yuroshek...

you guys having any problems with these things moving on ya? I have a customer out here running them and he brought the bike in today. The cups have rotated inside the headtube a good 1/4".

Thinking of knocking them out, and instead of greasing the cups, using some blue loctite. Any thoughts?
Blue loctite isn't the product for that application (it's just a threadlocker). You want to use 609 retaining compound (green liquid). Might not be much fun getting them back out, but it will stop them moving about.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Cane creek has had a few protos floating around and I have heard they will be releasing it sometime this summer. I have had one and it's a super clean interface and very, very easy to install.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Cane creek has had a few protos floating around and I have heard they will be releasing it sometime this summer. I have had one and it's a super clean interface and very, very easy to install.
Yup. They hinted on their Facebook page that the Pivot Phoenix will come with it standard...

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Yup. They hinted on their Facebook page that the Pivot Phoenix will come with it standard...
Why wouldn't they just design the bike correctly from the start? Aren't angled reducers kinda strictly and AFTERMARKET thing? I don't sponsored people bragging how great it is on there bike. Isn't it just a band-aid fix for a poorly designed frame? (well, okay maybe its a pretty good fix)

Edit: That be said, I wish I could run these on my sanction. That thing would be sweet with a 65ish HA.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Why wouldn't they just design the bike correctly from the start? Aren't angled reducers kinda strictly and AFTERMARKET thing? I don't sponsored people bragging how great it is on there bike. Isn't it just a band-aid fix for a poorly designed frame? (well, okay maybe its a pretty good fix)

Edit: That be said, I wish I could run these on my sanction. That thing would be sweet with a 65ish HA.
Totally agree. But, saying that, I'm sure Cane Creek probably has a better idea on how to do it maybe...? It would be pretty simple to just copy the K9 design and put it to market instead of prototyping. I'm guessing they went a different route...

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I have a hunch that these proto Cane Creek headsets are what Santa Cruz are using on the carbon V10. ;)
Wasn't peat runnig OFFSET reducers? Those would make a lot more sense than angled reducers for most bikes. Gives you some flexibility for 'half sizes'.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Wasn't peat runnig OFFSET reducers? Those would make a lot more sense than angled reducers for most bikes. Gives you some flexibility for 'half sizes'.
AFAIK Peat ran a 1.5 headtube on a standard large old alloy V10 instead of 1 1/8 to lengthen the toptube.... Just that what ive read about the headangle adjustability of the carbon V10 kinda matches what Pivot is saying about the Phoenix... makes me think they're both using the Cane Creek system.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have had my C.C. one in my Mbuzi and while it was an early, early proto it has functioned flawlessly. It installed just like any other headset and has been worry free.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

People have different definitions of what is "right", and some are picky enough to want to change setups for conditions, so why not offer some flexibility to make more people happy? (As long as the cups work and don't move around, of course.)

Last edited:

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
zdubyadubya - Could you get your customer to e-mail me (sales@readytoridecycles.co.uk or pm is fine) with a few more details - its not something i have heard about or seen happen up until now.

Theres not a lot of room other than for the bearing in a 1.5ht - im really interested as to how cane-creek have acheived the adjustment, we had a few ideas about how to go about it but thats it, just ideas....

If Cane-Creek have cracked it (which it sounds like they have), it should be a nice option for people who want to fine-tune geometry.

Rick

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
People have different definitions of what is "right", and some are picky enough to want change setups for conditions, so why not offer some flexibility to make more people happy? (As long as the cups work and don't move around, of course.)
No no, that's fine if people put them in their frame after they buy it. It just wouldn't make any sense for the MFG to spec them in their from the beginning, or for sponsored riders to go around bragging they had to do that.

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Sure thing Rick, not a problem.

We went ahead and used the 609 compound on the cups over the weekend. Will find out this week how it works.

FYI, the bike is a 2010 Giant Faith (identical headtube to Glory), size M.

Thanks for your response! Its good to see "active" customer service, rather than waiting for the customer to come to you. :thumb: +rep

zdubyadubya - Could you get your customer to e-mail me (sales@readytoridecycles.co.uk or pm is fine) with a few more details - its not something i have heard about or seen happen up until now.

Theres not a lot of room other than for the bearing in a 1.5ht - im really interested as to how cane-creek have acheived the adjustment, we had a few ideas about how to go about it but thats it, just ideas....

If Cane-Creek have cracked it (which it sounds like they have), it should be a nice option for people who want to fine-tune geometry.

Rick

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Why wouldn't it make sense? A straight 1.5 HT with removable reducers (angled or adjustable) would make manufacturing simpler, as well as allow the customer to swap out to a 1.5 steerer single crown if s/he so desired.

No no, that's fine if people put them in their frame after they buy it. It just wouldn't make any sense for the MFG to spec them in their from the beginning, or for sponsored riders to go around bragging they had to do that.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

You seem to think flexibility is a negative trait and I guess we just disagree. I don't see it as something the rider "had" to do, rather a good thing the rider was able to do to tailor the bike to their needs/desires. Even within the confines of acceptable modern geometry there is room for variation, so it's tough to make everyone happy with fixed numbers. I don't like excess crap on my bikes but as long as there is no negative I'm all for adding some adjustments.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
You seem to think flexibility is a negative trait and I guess we just disagree. I don't see it as something the rider "had" to do, rather a good thing the rider was able to do to tailor the bike to their needs/desires. Even within the confines of acceptable modern geometry there is room for variation, so it's tough to make everyone happy with fixed numbers. I don't like excess crap on my bikes but as long as there is no negative I'm all for adding some adjustments.
Perhaps I'm not being clear. This is a sweet product, and I think it's great that customers can adjust the HA of their bike after they buy it. AFTERMARKET flexibility is great! I just fail to see any reason to spec this on OEM stuff. Perhaps I'm not understanding these things properly, allow me to illustrate my thoughts

With these cups the Mfg. has 2 options if they want to spec a 64 HA on a bike
1. Weld the bike up with a 64 HA to begin with, done. Light simple, cheaper, nothing to go wrong with it. After the customer buys the frame they can do whatever the hell they want with it. Yay! Everyone wins!

2. Weld the bike up with a 65 HA. Install reducer cups to make it 64 HA. Now the frame is heavier, more expensive, more difficult to assemble, and more sh*t to go wrong with it.

How is option 2 better? Or am I missing something? I don't see how these cups coming spec-ed from the factory make the frame "more adjustable" it just sets the HA in a different spot. If you wanted to make it a different HA you'd still have to buy new parts and re-do the installation on your headset. Unless I'm not understanding how these things work?

Making a frame "more adjustable" would be multiple shock mounts, or that weird headtube thing on the commencal. What does NOT count as (the FRAME) being adjustable is having to buy new parts (that are more or less universal) and press in new cups.

Last edited:

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
The point is that the frame will be shipped with multiple cups (or some other way to get multiple setups) like the summum which i belive ships with 0, -1 and -2 degree cups and gives the owner the choice of going from 61 to 65 degrees. If only one set of cups would be included it would be as you say easier to just make it right the first time when its wleded up.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
2. Weld the bike up with a 65 HA. Install reducer cups to make it 64 HA. Now the frame is heavier, more expensive, more difficult to assemble, and more sh*t to go wrong with it.
No matter the head angle it still has to have a headset. Cane Creek's version is a simply a headset with the adjustment built. I didn't weigh mine but at most it weighs an ounce or two more than a typical 1.5 headset. I have had mine since last October and I rode it all winter and have not had an single issue with it and mine is far from the finish product you would expect to see market

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
It may have been mentioned already, but is the CC proto an adjustable reducer headset for 1.125" forks in a 1.5" HT, is it an adjustable headset for 1.5" forks in a 1.5" HT? The latter doesn't seem possible.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Perhaps I'm not being clear. This is a sweet product, and I think it's great that customers can adjust the HA of their bike after they buy it. AFTERMARKET flexibility is great! I just fail to see any reason to spec this on OEM stuff. Perhaps I'm not understanding these things properly, allow me to illustrate my thoughts

With these cups the Mfg. has 2 options if they want to spec a 64 HA on a bike
1. Weld the bike up with a 64 HA to begin with, done. Light simple, cheaper, nothing to go wrong with it. After the customer buys the frame they can do whatever the hell they want with it. Yay! Everyone wins!

How is option 2 better? Or am I missing something? I don't see how these cups coming spec-ed from the factory make the frame "more adjustable" it just sets the HA in a different spot. If you wanted to make it a different HA you'd still have to buy new parts and re-do the installation on your headset. Unless I'm not understanding how these things work?

Making a frame "more adjustable" would be multiple shock mounts, or that weird headtube thing on the commencal. What does NOT count as (the FRAME) being adjustable is having to buy new parts (that are more or less universal) and press in new cups.
Sorry but i don't really see a down side.
i.e Both person A and person B buy frame X but person A wants a 64 degree head angle and person B wants 65.... now they can both get what they want. :thumb:
Or if they both like the same frame and the same headangle but have forks with a big difference in axle to crown...BAZINGA!:thumb::thumb: they're both still happy.

P.S I'm still guessing that these yet to be released Cane Creek headsets have a trick or two up their sleeves:shocked: