Quantcast

Workstands: (I searched, I swear)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Okay, Im getting ready to buy one and from the searches Ive done, the Ultimate seems to have all the glowing reviews. I have one at work that I take to events when I do ride support and it works fine, but the thing is heavy as hell and needs alot of space to unfold.

Im looking for the best compromise between weight, portability and stability. My bike(s) are fairly light but I work on them ALOT so I dont want something crappy, but I do plan on taking it on alot of camping trips to pisgah and other places.

Are some of the park stands good enough, or any other suggestions? I know the ulitmate will get the job done, but its just too bulky.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I also have a wrenchforce (Trek) - IMO, it sucks. Very flexy and not as sturdy as I'd like. Definitely go with a tripod base.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I've got this old school Park stand, it's white instead of blue, and I got it for free. It should probably be in a museum instead of in my garage.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I went to a couple races with some guys who had a Wrenchforce stand and I tuned their bikes and helped them out with some other tasks. I hated it. Poor clamping mechanism and the whole stand wobbled when you put any pressure on the bike.

I'd take my Ultimate stand 10 times out of 10 if it means a stable work environment. It folds up pretty compact, and I can't say I've ever seen a situation where there simply wasn't enough room to unfold it.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well the issue w/ the ultimate MOSTLY is that my work area is also my kitchen and Id like a stand that I could keep unfolded most of the time. The tripod of the ultimate unfortunately just takes up too much space.

How about the park one with the rounded two legs... you know what Im talking about?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Never used it, but keep in mind that if you're going to end up using it outdoors on camping trips and such, a tripod base is MUCH more stable and easier to set up.

A tripod base you can pretty much set up anywhere. The type you're talking about requires both mostly flat and fairly stable ground.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I hate my Pedros stand. I would recommend anything else. The little circle thing that controls the pivot tension can't tighten enough because it's a big round rubber circle you've gotta grip and the clamp sucks. I like Park clamps (the nice ones) and I've heard good things about the Ultimate. The one good thing about my Pedros is it folds small, comes with a carrying bad, and has a good tripod design with included bottle cap removers in the QRs.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I've got the 'rounded' legged Park. If you're not planning on taking it places, it's fine. Mine just sits in my garage. Had it for at least 10 years. If I were to get another, I'd get a tripod based stand, not just for the stability, but also the ability to store and transport it.

Mine's been to many races and events, but it's a BIG item.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I've been happy with my Park PCS-9. Collapses relatively small, tripod, clamping mechanism on mine is "okay" but I think they've redesigned it since I bought it.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
Our club has a couple of the round 2- legged park stands. I hate them, they wobble around too much even with my Yeti (34-35lbs ish). My Ultimate brs-70b is excellent though.

I use the pedros folding stands for work, at races, demos all that stuff and absolutely love them. may work a little better than the ultimate when in the kitchen because while being tripod styel (three points of contact) the clamp sits more over the back and two legs poitn towards you so you can put it back against a wall a lot easier. but super durable, and the quick grip clamp is awesome. highly recomend it to anyone. not the lightest, but folds well and easy to transport. also i can hang off it and not worry about it flexing (220 lbs) so DH bikes, breaking pedals free, it can take all the abuse!!!!