Quantcast

World Championships - Val di Sole

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Radical the evil villain of RM has accepted me...stoked! I need a jaded wrench to spanner on my steed in MSA and Bromont next month, seems like your the man for the job, you can hold my drink bottle and massage my calves with one hand (as you cut down my spikes with your teeth so the roll heaps sicker then Gee-Bags) while with your free hand you change the Justin Timberlake songs on my I-pod so I can be "in the zone" for smokin' Hill, seen as he is done now that he lost the Rainbows.

We on? Salary negotiable, Fraser can update out blog daily! High Five.
Oh, I never said you could roll in my hybrid, just said you have a sense of humor.

I only accept my 98' salary rates to work on bikes, find that and we are on=success.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
anyone think graves crashed his bike infront of delldick to take him out?

he looked fine though the berm in the video. who crashed on the face of a jump?

jared should have done it better and sent him OTB.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
Gee and Rachel made cycling history, that is what really matters here, the sport is alive more than it has been in ages, rivalry's are being made, up and comers are ripping it...... what more could you ask for in professional sport.

Remember:

Its not the racer that goes the fastest, its the one that gets to the bottom in the least amount of time.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
WOW.

That is NUTS... if that guy sketched out at speed and went down in the wrong place... or if his steerer tube snapped...jeez... glad he made it down in one piece...

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Just got back from my own racing and the first thing I did was check in on freecaster and mtbcut.

I can pretty honestly say that I just saw some of the greatest riding in the history of DH.

That course was super crazy and the riders were destroying it. Gee's run looked totally insane and there hasn't been a more on-the-edge piece of riding seen. Absolutely amazing stuff. Words fail for that.

I feel for Sam, along with everyone here. More than 6 seconds up at the time of crash. Unbelievable. Poor guy.

I also feel for Steve and for Jared. Gutted.

Anyway, fck it! Lets hear it for our new champions:
Athertons are on fcken fire!

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
http://freecaster.com/live/1000006_1005142

Mens 4X final is up now... looks like Jared left the door wiiiiiide open by cutting way outside before the first turn. does not look like an intentional take out at all to me
if you watch this in slow mo you can see where deldyke gets into trouble at about 34/35 secs....look at where his left (outside) knee is going into the turn and how his butt is in front of the seat....

he is trying to dump speed but has not control over his bike.....

if he was doing all that on purpose he would have been way more leaned into the turn getting ready to finish the take out and keep moving down course.

he still takes Jared out costing him the race and should have been DQ'd no question about that.... but i don't think it was intentional.

couple other things i noticed....i think if Graves stiks his foot out in front of deldyke when he is coming in and foot plants....i think he could have saved it...he doesn't take a foot out til his over the berm...

it was going to be close into turn 2 as Alvaraz was going to have a really good move that would have put those guys even....i wish they all would have stayed up...could have been a good one.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
So Close yet so far...
Yeah I'm gutted for Peaty as well, I'd loved to have seen the old battler get one in the bag, like Sam thats racing, I'm still hoping he'll do it before he retires one day, but now I'm wonderingif he can unless its a course that really suits pedalling and his power I can't see it.

Sams run through the all the tech and rough stuff was so much faster than anyone else, to lose it where he did, still blows my mind, I mean thats racing it gets you often where you least expect it, he had been drifting and practing that all week from what I could see, but he really pushed it to hard there and unfortunately he went down, thats racing!

For Peaty its the same but now there really are some others pushing so hard that so far on the tracks to date, means one mistake and you won't win, Mt St Anne will be an interesting test, Peaty's won there more than anyone else, bring it on, I'm picking its make or break for the rest of the season!

fUUBi

Chimp
Dec 9, 2006
Did you guys hear the other commentator (Tim?) was having some serious fun with himself during the start of Hill's final run. I thought the riding looked good but not that good, ey?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
if you watch this in slow mo you can see where deldyke gets into trouble at about 34/35 secs....look at where his left (outside) knee is going into the turn and how his butt is in front of the seat....

he is trying to dump speed but has not control over his bike.....

if he was doing all that on purpose he would have been way more leaned into the turn getting ready to finish the take out and keep moving down course.

he still takes Jared out costing him the race and should have been DQ'd no question about that.... but i don't think it was intentional.

couple other things i noticed....i think if Graves stiks his foot out in front of deldyke when he is coming in and foot plants....i think he could have saved it...he doesn't take a foot out til his over the berm...

it was going to be close into turn 2 as Alvaraz was going to have a really good move that would have put those guys even....i wish they all would have stayed up...could have been a good one.
Wicked overview EC!

I have not been a fan of 4X for a while now, but talking to you during the race yesterday was so rad with all the interesting tidbits you bring up about each race, the riders, what moves you predicted would go down, etc....it made 4x so much better to watch-thanks. You are a true tactician, the fans love it.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Wicked overview EC!

I have not been a fan of 4X for a while now, but talking to you during the race yesterday was so rad with all the interesting tidbits you bring up about each race, the riders, what moves you predicted would go down, etc....it made 4x so much better to watch-thanks. You are a true tactician, the fans love it.
yeah that was good times....that was some crazy stuff for sure......

hats off to Bueller...our lone medal a worlds! and she stepped up like i have never seen her do before....like i told you she really has a mental block on jumps....great to see her conquer that any get the gold.

i love breaking all that stuff down, if we could ever get a budget through USA cycling i would think about going over and helping the gravity portion....

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Did you guys hear the other commentator (Tim?) was having some serious fun with himself during the start of Hill's final run. I thought the riding looked good but not that good, ey?
HAHA yeah i heard that! it sounded like something seriously seedy was going down in the commentary booth.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Wow. Bike geek-ism penetrating to the highest level of gravity racing. That's kinda sad really....

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
After Champery.....
The amazing run of Sam Hill #2.
Yeaha but Sam kept it together in Champ and no one was expecting that under those conditions, Val di, he blew it on that last corner if you watch it over again and again he had control of the drift up until the grass section they were all cutting accross he was already linning up the next section it was a brain explosion not speed or drfit he dropped it when all he needed to do was just keep his focus there and he would have been imortal, thats racing, and he will know more than anyone!

I do aggree with you and most though his run was still was incredible and in the toughest sections before the last big drop jump was amazing and I believe he was in control, he had it in the bag, but thats racing, and the Worlds is all about one shot and lots of pressure that most of us probably can't comprehend so I feel for Sam and Peaty and at the same time I am stoked for Gee!

Sam will be back don't worry, lucks not quite gone his way the last few rounds, but he not off the pace hes setting it, he just needs some things to go his way and he'll be killing it again, lest hes not injuring himself while still riding this incredibly fast so its only a matter of time or course before hes back in No1 spot, Gees gonna be on him though as his confidence must be running high now!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Since everyone on RM knows so much, doesn't this course have Kovarik written all over it? or no?
I would have expected a medal on this track easily from him after watching all those runs on the track, looked like it was made for him and only him?

Agreed?
He was the second fastest Aussie. ;) But you are right, I was expecting him to do better. Wishful thinking maybe...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Originally Posted by stiksandstones
Since everyone on RM knows so much, doesn't this course have Kovarik written all over it? or no?
I would have expected a medal on this track easily from him after watching all those runs on the track, looked like it was made for him and only him?

Agreed?
He was the second fastest Aussie. ;) But you are right, I was expecting him to do better. Wishful thinking maybe...
Funny, I didn't think the track looked anything like Fontana:rimshot:

But on a serious note, if there is one track Kovarik can win on this year it's Monte Saint-Anne in 4 weeks.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
apologies if any links have already been posted, but anybody have the current standings? I can only find up to Fort Williams on the UCI site

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Jesus... Looks like Hill didn´t wear a backplate for spineprotection. That is complete madness...

Warner: "ooooooh, he´s gone mad!", haha...

And that other guy, Tim? Is he getting a massage or something betwwen 1.32-1.46 min in Hills run? He´s just making some VERY strange noices. :)

Last edited:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Anybody that knows anything would know that the rock didn't cause Sam's crash. It was the skinsuit.

Think about it. If it makes somebody faster at high speeds, then obviously he was going faster than even he could fathom. Add to that the loss of drag created with him not having his baggies on and you have a perfect recipe for what we witnessed on Saturday. I'm really shocked than nobody else clued-in on that point. There's an amazing sequence of "the crash" on cyclingnews.com

btw - the rock was reported to be in fair condition, but suffered a few blisters

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
45. 74 GER19720223 BENEKE Jurgen GER 2:57.81 59.45 3:42.87 + 30.75

this old dude is getting faster and faster! at the age of 36, a multiple year break from racing and as a (more or less) privateer...

hats off!

and weir beware! when is downieville happening?

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
Fraser

Any chance of a side by side comparison of the top 3 runs - would be good to be able to see where Hill was gaining time on the other 2 (if they're ever even in the same shot together after the first split)

Can't get my head around how fast those guys are - especially Hill.

Great result for UK downhill - not bad for a country with only 1 chairlift; just a shame we don't really have any junior women worth sending.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Great result for UK downhill - not bad for a country with only 1 chairlift; just a shame we don't really have any junior women worth sending.
Well Monet is getting pretty quick these days, going off of results this year I reckon she would have been good for a 4:45ish down there which could have seen a bronze. Quick as she is though I don't think we have anyone at the moment that can take it to the gold/silver medallists. Shame, 4 out of 4 would have been frikkin sweet :D Next year maybe!