Quantcast

World Champs 2012 Thread

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
also, SO pumped for minngnar, what a phenomenal way to end his career, so rad!! and mick hannahs run was so good too!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Minnaar is simply awesome. He deserved it. You have to be gutted for Hannah too. Such a great run, and so close. And it looks like Graves made the right choice (for him) as well. I don't think he gets 3rd on a dh bike here.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
"massive congratulations to matt simmonds" jesus he got 5th! Massive congratulations to Minngnar, for a back to back champ win in his goddamn backyard, massive props to graves and mik for the podium, great run by blenki too! 5th isn't bad, but jesus stop making your own boy sound better then all the people who actually ARE better. Goddamn that guy is annoying.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
"massive congratulations to matt simmonds" jesus he got 5th! Massive congratulations to Minngnar, for a back to back champ win in his goddamn backyard, massive props to graves and mik for the podium, great run by blenki too! 5th isn't bad, but jesus stop making your own boy sound better then all the people who actually ARE better. Goddamn that guy is annoying.
this, no mic for nigel in the future anymore kthxbye

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
no, you're annoying

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I swear to fycking god, Graves got mentioned like twice, blenkinsop once, mick hannah like 6 times, greg minnaar like 6 times, and matt fycking simmonds like 35. And it wasn't even his fault that I now hate him by association.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Personally, I enjoy hearing a team manager talk about his riders. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

East Coast US representing pretty well in this race though. Rude Jr champ and 14th for Neko....not too shabby!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
drama much? you been into the sauce this morning while you watched?
That's a cop out, just because I'm worked up doesn't mean I don't have a point. Give the riders proportional attention to how well they did. Simmonds never even sat in the hot seat. At no point in the race was he even a contender for the win. Don't sit there talking about how your own rider is the best thing since sliced bread while ignoring the guys who did better then him/were contenders.

I don't give a fyck if you think I'm annoying because I'm worked up over it, but that sh1t is annoying every race and I felt like this race was particularly bad.

Anyway, I don't know if you're trying to imply that I'm having an awful morning, but I'm not, I'm pretty excited that Minngnar won, I was rooting for him to take it in his hometown, and that was some of the most exciting racing I've watched in awhile.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
...Give the riders proportional attention to how well they did. Simmonds never even sat in the hot seat. ....
To be fair, he was giving riders props for performing better than usual, also e.g Fischbach who is not riding for CRC.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
To be fair, he was giving riders props for performing better than usual, also e.g Fischbach who is not riding for CRC.
Rob Warner is a case and point: he did a great job of saying "oh he'll be disappointed, not a great run from him" or "that was a great run for him" then move on. Rider gets the shout out, the props, then you move on. That stuff doesn't bother me even a little bit. That was a great run from Matt Simmonds - 5th at worlds is an awesome result. He deserves some props, just not ALL of them.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
So stoked for Greg. I can't even imagine the pressure. An ordinary world champs is hard enough. To be the defending champ, on your home turf, in what some say might be your last DH race...damn. Super impressive.

Really too bad about Smith. Would have preferred he got a clean run.

As for Nigel, of course he's going to be stoked about his rider, and of course he's going to take the opportunity to talk about him on air. To say that he is unprofessional misses the point: He's a team manager, doing that is part of his job. The announcing thing is a side gig.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
So I guess now I can keep my v10 for one more season:weee: Go Minnaar, dude must have one of the most extraordinary mental strengths of all time in all sports. Havent seen much that can come close to what he did today.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
So who can tell me which riders were on 650b and 29"? Carbon frames and aluminium? Might be interesting to bung those details up on R&R alongside the results.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
So stoked for Greg. I can't even imagine the pressure. An ordinary world champs is hard enough. To be the defending champ, on your home turf, in what some say might be your last DH race...damn. Super impressive.

Really too bad about Smith. Would have preferred he got a clean run.

As for Nigel, of course he's going to be stoked about his rider, and of course he's going to take the opportunity to talk about him on air. To say that he is unprofessional misses the point: He's a team manager, doing that is part of his job. The announcing thing is a side gig.
Then don't do the side gig if there is a conflict of interest in what you should be talking about. Seems pretty straightforward I think. Particularly if it makes people hate you and not want to buy your brand. I suspect that despite the fact that people may not want to agree with me because as flip put it I'm annoying, I'm not the only one that thinks Page is a douche and a major turnoff for CRC products.

But I agree with your statement about Minnaar! So rad, it was the first time in 3 years I've rooted for anybody to take a win over Gwin! And I sure hope he decides to continue racing, he's been one of my favorite riders since I got into mountain biking.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Conflict of interest? You have got to be kidding. It's not like those guys are held to the highest standards of journalism. Blaming him for trying to promote his rider when he gets the opportunity is pretty ridiculous. I don't know anyone that cares enough for it to impact a purchase decision. Based on how CRC seems to be doing, I'd say Nige is doing something right. How's your brand?

Anyway, lots of drama. Any word on what happened to Gwin? Did he have a mechanical again or something? Too bad to see Hill crash, and man I was really hoping to see Smith get a solid run. All that prep gone in turn 1, damn shame.

As a consolation, at least he took the bar hump gold. :D

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I really can't wait to watch Hafjell and Leogang. That course may have provided some good wheel and frame size drama, but I think it's boring as hell to watch compared to the tech courses. The next two rounds should be nuts.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
As if Warner hasn't always been biased and over-mentions Peat, Santa Cruz who semi sponsors Warner, every rider from GB, Commonwealth riders... More or less in that order.

Page is a small deal. This is a small sport with small money.

Last edited: