Quantcast

World Champs 2012 Thread

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Really wanted to see how Stevie Smith's 27.5" and Ropelato's 29" would have done vs. Minnaar. Kind of funny how both crashed out in the 1st real corner.

Had no problems with Nigel. If he's not pushing his riders and CRC/Nukeproof, he's not doing his job. The fault, if anything, is with the broadcasters having him on there.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
World champs and its a **** fest in here. Why even bother commenting on one negative dude.

I had an amazing time watching the event and tons of cameras on track to show the action. I would still have loved to have seen what Smith could have done on the 650b and Mitch on the 29 not because I care too much about wheels size but fun to see new technology tested beyond hype and marketing.

Personally my biggest surprise was Greg and as Warner said he seemed off

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Also, claiming my "downhill bike will win it" call! Greg was a beast and if it wasn't going to be Stevie it was good to see Minngnar stomp it! What a beast pedalling everywhere!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Also, claiming my "downhill bike will win it" call! Greg was a beast and if it wasn't going to be Stevie it was good to see Minngnar stomp it! What a beast pedalling everywhere!
Yeah, pedaled everywhere except for his tucks between the big long jumps. Showed some patience and poise right there. He might not be the most ragged and gnarly rider to watch, but damn he covers huge chunks of track so fast and smooth.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Right you are, not sure how I let that slip my mind. So that's three 650b bikes in the top 6...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
why? Seb.

tyre choice probably made more of a difference

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
why? Seb.

tyre choice probably made more of a difference
It was an idea I'd been planning on doing when I thought mitch & steve would do better. Would have been an interesting resource to see at a glance. Shame they both crashed out.

And yes, I agree tyre choice would be awesome. But it's impossible to garner that information for all those riders from where I am. I would quite like to pay a grom to make a note of every rider's race tyres at a world cup one day, and list them all alongside the results. Get a pressure gauge on them all too ;)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
People who wear leat really think leat has saved their lives every time they had a crash?
Yeah, whats the deal with that? Everytime someone crashes with a Leatt, no matter what the crash, they become an expert on exactly how it saved them

Disclaimer: I wear one when I ride moto.

Also, very impressive run from Graves. I eat my words on that prediction.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ha ha.. Excellent! you're gonna have to get each rider to step on scales for your tyre pressure stats to have any relivance but if you're going to all that trouble, you might as well weigh their bikes too, eh?
I think i just caught a glimpse of your masterplan for R&R ;)

Your site is great to geek out to but surely we all already know a single ply Maxpro tyre is far easier to pedal than a dual ply 3C and a bling bling's tread rolls much faster than a DHF's but corners similarly when leant right over or is this really news to anyone?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I think tyres IS news to people. Assuming you pick the best tread available on your sponsorship deal, what's better for a given track; Continental, Schwalbe, Maxxis, Specialized? Bontrager? What else do people run?

You may not be able to draw any conclusive evidence from such data, but I think people would find it interesting nonetheless.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Blenki's 650b? And Nick Beer?

(don't have data in front of me...)
No Stevie and Nick

seems kinda dubious when Stevie was on a cruiser run from turn one! Where exactly was the speed trap?

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Blenkinsop is hungry this season. He's got style and seems to have improved fitness this year. The way he ripped over those jumps and pedaled with the rear end out in the air was very cool to see.

Edit: Neko Mullaly in 14th? Great result!

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Just came here to post this :D
So big wheel bikes win the speed trap gold while kid wheel size bikes the rainbow stripes. ;)
Sounds like this JohnP claim that Yeti bikes are the speed trap kings from a couple of years back.... ;) :rofl:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Blenkinsop is hungry this season. He's got style and seems to have improved fitness this year. The way he ripped over those jumps and pedaled with the rear end out in the air was very cool to see.

Edit: Neko Mullaly in 14th? Great result!
This. I wanna see Blenkinsop on the top step again.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
After his crash Ropelato was 10th fastest in the middle sector and 15th fastest at the bottom. Not bad for a kid that normally comes 30-40th at world cups.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
F&*%k yea, GM bringing it home for the Bru crew!
Good race, loved it.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
After his crash Ropelato was 10th fastest in the middle sector and 15th fastest at the bottom. Not bad for a kid that normally comes 30-40th at world cups.
Agreed but he does also kick almost every world cupper into touch on pumptracks and absolutely kills it on smooth tracks with huge jumps and berms.
none of which has anything much to do with wheel size.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
"Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?"

Seriously tho, was curious to see what kind of time Mitch & SS could lay down. I think everyone was.

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
great race, awesome run by minaar (power gap'in rocks) and mick (so fast nearly overshoot tables)

bikes aside, polygon, a relatively 'newbie' underdog in DH scene, is only 0.3x seconds slower than SC and at least 3.3x seconds faster than Yeti and the rest... that's nice and good development. ( i try to be not annoying in my biased opinion )

good spirit for monday work today... still wish mick was 1st though !!!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
So say what you will about the course, I felt like that was some of the most exciting racing I've watched in a looooong time, I was so excited for mick that he'd been the one able to break graves time (and I was genuinely unsure whether anybody would be able to, and to do it in such a commanding fashion? And then Minnaar came down, up at first split, down at second one, that was a great world champs as far as racing drama and excitement. Loved it, except my previously stated opinion that made everybody hate me.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
Yeah he mentioned it in his post race interview. He said it only went fully flat over the last jump and didnt slow him down. Close thing though.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Grubby Graves what a performance that was mental!

Graves did top-5 the Australian XC national champs this year also... I really can't seem to think of a better mountain biker out there right now.

He truly is a throwback in a time where everything is so compartmentalized.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Congrats to Minnaar. What a race!
Also congrats to the two Aussies in 2nd and 3rd.
I have to say it's sad that Ropelato and Smith both lost it in the first corner. But that's racing. It would have been awesome to see both the young guns being faster than Gwin:D
What happened to MacDonald?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
wonder where Jerome Clementz would have placed in the Austrailian national XC champs. ;)