Quantcast

World Champs 2012 Thread

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
everything that I've seen in pit pictures has been 8.5 and also heard they all ran 8.5 last year as well.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
Meh, my V10's lighter with heavier tires and fork.
Does anyone know if the Santa cruz guys are using 8.5" or 10" mode?
From this shot it looks like Greg is running 8.5":

Same with Peaty:

I remember joeg saying that the Syndicate have been running their bikes in the 8.5" mode for a while now.

edit: found it.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254954&p=3845571&viewfull=1#post3845571

joeg said:
in 2010 and 2011, they all ran 10" just about all of the time. In 2012 they all ran 8.5" just about all of the time.

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Meh, my V10's lighter with heavier tires and fork.
Does anyone know if the Santa cruz guys are using 8.5" or 10" mode?
Maybe because they spend more time worrying about standing on the podium than standing on their scale? UCI's not giving out awards for shaving grams.

Last edited:

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Maybe because they spend more time worrying about standing on the podium than standing on their scale? UCI's not giving out awards for shaving grams.
It could be a sweet mind game though. Take a picture of your race bike weighing in at 29lbs and then stick back on your dual ply tyres and coils while your competitors are fixing punctures :-D

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
It could be a sweet mind game though. Take a picture of your race bike weighing in at 29lbs and then stick back on your dual ply tyres and coils while your competitors are fixing punctures :-D
I'd be surprised if Gee had any idea how much Greg's bike weighs or what tires he's on, or even cared.

It's far more interesting to the guys who think it's funny to write 'derp' in every other sentence. But I don't think any of them are racing.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'd be surprised if Gee had any idea how much Greg's bike weighs or what tires he's on, or even cared.

It's far more interesting to the guys who think it's funny to write 'derp' in every other sentence. But I don't think any of them are racing.

That. You race on what you trust. Not on what other people think is fast.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

when one cannot race, one must derp. and thus it shall be. from here to eternity.

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
Peatys bike from 09 worlds is in our showroom. 2841 mission st, Santa Cruz CA.
It wasn't stock, it was longer to fit him (before we made an XL) but suspension was not changed. Semi slick rear tire and tiny rotors.

Minnaars from last year is next to it. And rattys from junior worlds too. True story. Ill give u a tour if i'm around.
There goes my conspiracy theory!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
shouldn't gee be already qualified?
that was my immediate thought, and then I remembered last year he crashed before competition in practice and opted to not ride because he had a concussion and was so banged up. Since he wasn't top 12 OR first within the past 3 years, no automatic prequalifier.

Back to world champs, did anybody else watch peatys helmet cam run? There are some pretty enormous jumps on that course.

Last edited:

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
From that helmet cam footage it looks pretty cool. Minnaar as always is smooooooooooooth.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i know helmet cams dont do justice to a course but besides for the massive jumps, there doesnt look anything too technical there

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
i know helmet cams dont do justice to a course but besides for the massive jumps, there doesnt look anything too technical there
any trail can be difficult and technical if you ride it fast enough.
From what I remember from watching the past two races there (granted the cameras don't show most of the course), is that a lot of the technical sections (which is not to say all of the technical sections) are gapped by the top riders. They simply just jumped them. Now, dips and compressions and jumps are quite difficult to ride too, and speed and traction add a layer of complexity to those elements.

I think the course is worthy, and we will see one of the regular podium contenders take it:

Minnaar
Gee
Smith
Gwin
? - maybe Sik Mik

for the ladies:
Ragot
Carpenter
Rachel (down in third because no one has said anything about her since her stack in MSA, and I think she may be injured but isn't saying anything about it)
Pugin
Siegenthaler

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Naive question - why is Sik Mik listed as a contender for the podium? Stevie beat him in BC despite falling off of his bike!

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Naive question - why is Sik Mik listed as a contender for the podium? Stevie beat him in BC despite falling off of his bike!
He qualied 1st there back in 2011 but ended up a DNF because he crashed and snapped his stem and/or bars. Last year he finished 3rd there.

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
Right, so the track goes something like: Fireroad, fireroad, fireroad jump, fireroad, turn, fireroad, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, fireroad, fireroad, fireroad, jump..... finish.
The race will be won by the guy with the strongest forearms, who can hold on to the bars in all the high speed chatter.. With that said my money is on Gee, with him being the Great Wanker of the sport and all.

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
Mick hannah 1st.. I hope.

But also happy to see stevie, or any other guys that haven't got rainbow yet.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The Canadian Open course is nothing like this one. It is burly, steep and rough. More like MSA and Fort Bill I'd say, perhaps even a little Vallnord-ish. It's not the A-Line Air DH. Which is more like this, except with smaller jumps.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
So I just saw this thread and realized, hey I am in South Africa right now for work, maybe I should go to this? Then I thought, oh sh!t I should definitely go check this out, but it is a 6 hour drive each way from where I am. The DH finals and awards end around 6pm Sunday, then 6 hour drive home, then get up for work at 4:30 am Monday...

What should I do monkies?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So I just saw this thread and realized, hey I am in South Africa right now for work, maybe I should go to this? Then I thought, oh sh!t I should definitely go check this out, but it is a 6 hour drive each way from where I am. The DH finals and awards end around 6pm Sunday, then 6 hour drive home, then get up for work at 4:30 am Monday...

get a looooooooooot of coffee and hit the road :thumb:

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground

Will you get another shot to watch the DH world champs? If so, then maybe not. If not......