Quantcast

World Champs 2012 Thread

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
It seems to me that it is time for a World Champs thread. Riders are on their way to SA or already there.

So who will come home with the Rainbow Jersey this year.

On the men's side, I need to think about it a bit more, but on the women's side I'm putting forward the ultimate dark horse and usual non-WC podium threat - Jill Kintner!

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I'll say Manon Carpenter on the women, and Gee or Minnaar on the men.
I hope Minnaar gets the ultimate crown for his career, but if it's not him, I'd really like to see Smith or some other up-and-coming rider win instead of Atherton.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
If I were abetting man it would be hard to bet against Gee. What I am hoping for is for Ratboy to win, like you I'd like to see a new face up there. Sik Mik would be great too.

project_d

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
SoCal
Well, I always want Peaty to win. But to be honest, I seeing the top three being Greg 1st, Mik 2nd, and 3rd going to Gwin, Gee, or Smith. For the ladies, if she's not broken, Rachel will take it. I think Manon is a stronger on the pedals, but being able to keep your speed up by clearing those big jumps is a major thing, and that's where I think Rachel gain time.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
For sure, they all have to race the same track, fastest person wins on the day...just had that thought in my head. I wonder if, since it is not technical, if someone who is simply not very fast on real tracks, like a Kintner, could walk away as world champion? Or a dark horse like that in the mens as well?
I'm not sure, but Australia gave us Peaty as World Champ, so it can't be all bad. I expect a good race regardless of the track.

gretch

Chimp
Feb 15, 2013
Nelson, B.C.
Based on the last few weeks no one is riding better than Steve Smith.... he's been very close before and maybe this is his year... Go Canada!!!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
For sure, they all have to race the same track, fastest person wins on the day...just had that thought in my head. I wonder if, since it is not technical, if someone who is simply not very fast on real tracks, like a Kintner, could walk away as world champion? Or a dark horse like that in the mens as well?
Doubtful, look at that the past results there. The people who usually do well on the overall stage and at tough tracks do well there too. I think its because, and this is gonna sound crazy and its just my opinion, man, but I think its because they're better bike riders.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
I decided after Worlds in Australia I'd stop moaning about **** tracks, that was some of the best racing I've seen, reckon this'll be just as awesome. Everyone knows what to expect and will be on it!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
A-Line is as much a WC level track as SA is.
Yeah, not very.
Let's be honest, tracks like SA and Stromlo are a joke compared to tracks like VDS.

To add a little fuel to the above fire - does anyone think Peat would have won a World Championship on a track like VDS/Champery/etc against a field stacked with riders like Gee, Hill, Hart, etc?

Sure a win is a win, and one could argue that those riders didn't have what it took to win at Stromlo. But to exercise my internet punter's right to a less-than-savory opinion, wins at tracks that are more technically challenging are worth more than tracks that have a greater bias towards pedalling.

That's just my view on it, and I have nothing against anyone that thinks / feels otherwise.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
To add a little fuel to the above fire - does anyone think Peat would have won a World Championship on a track like VDS/Champery/etc against a field stacked with riders like Gee, Hill, Hart, etc?
Yes. Of course he would. He has beaten all of those riders at World Cups. You don't win 17 World Cups and 3 WC Overalls by sucking. By comparison, World Champs are easier. Pressure may be high, but the field is weaker than at a World Cup.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
In the case of the ladies, how is it Jill gets waxed at world cups, but handles the chicks at otter and A-line?
Good question. What do you think. I keep thinking she is better than that and I keep thinking that a win will come. Maybe it will, but you have to start wondering.

FWIW - I thought she was on pace to win at Windham last year until she slipped and snapped her arm. She was owning the bottom half of that course, thus my pick for her to take Worlds this year.

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
RM e-gurus, what about the bikes, which one will win?

single pivot with many bearings?
horst link with many arms?
DW/KS/ABC link?
rearward/straight AP?
steep/slack angles with 29" rear 27.5" front wheels?

how'bout CTP lockout air shocks and telescopic upside down seatpost!

ooo this tread will be 150 pages long... :weee:

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
for elite, DRY, does it rain in Pietermaritzburg (spelling)?

gold - GMi(g)naar carbon Vpp/ fox,

- local boy,
- home course advantage.
- defending champion
- retiring

silver - Geesus aluminum link driven single pivot/looong wheelbase/fox

bronze - mr.Smith carbon link driven single pivot/rs/moustache balancer. OR

Gwinner carbon 4bar FSR, custom swingarm, extra seat stays, prototype
brakes./stiff/shox and fork/29er

*is FaB on the french national team? imagine, if he wins this on a enduro bike?

jrs.
gold - loic bruni

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yes. Of course he would. He has beaten all of those riders at World Cups. You don't win 17 World Cups and 3 WC Overalls by sucking.
When was his last win besides for world champs? He may have beaten them all previously but it's been a while iirc. 4 + years?

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I think they keep having them there because somehow they have an organization that wants to keep hosting them. They'd probably have a UCI DH on a garbage dump in Nebraska if there was someone willing to foot the bill.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
A couple of these flat "lame" courses are cool. They push suspension, component, and tire designs in a different direction.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
A couple of these flat "lame" courses are cool. They push suspension, component, and tire designs in a different direction.
Exactly- the ultimate enduro proving ground/ prototyping festival ;)

Jackass responses aside, the innovation and customization of the bikes for the courses are one of my favorite things about the world champs.

Last edited:

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
YOU SEE AY! ENDURO world championships soon?

Peaty should register at DH master category to dominate and complete his trophy case.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
So I keep hearing about how mingnar is going to retire next year, but I have actually seen anything substantive, is that an e-rumor or something else? Seems like he's still killing it pretty hard...