Quantcast

World Cup #1 - Maribor, Slovenia.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
here is no such thing as sam hill replica gear... the only thing he ever wore that you can buy are the TLD pants. all the jerseys are custom one-offs for practice and rainbow jersey for race runs.... TLD makes nothing with sam's name on it
P.S. Only a true fanboy would have knowledge of that ^^^ :D

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
When is everyone gonna start running the swampting full time???

I have been running swampthings for 4 years now. 90% of the racing I do I have at least one on the front.
I have a mountain of half used swampthings in my shed, was looking at them the other day and didn't realize I had so many

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
If you can back yourself up with a podium position or decent race time, I think you can wear whatever you want. If you are wearing the best and most flashy stuff, yet come in bottom 5 consistently, something needs to be done.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
People who manage to do their own thing, will be rememered and contribute to further evolution.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
If you can back yourself up with a podium position or decent race time, I think you can wear whatever you want. If you are wearing the best and most flashy stuff, yet come in bottom 5 consistently, something needs to be done.
See, I think results are irrelevant; it just looks silly. It's like the dude who shows up at his rec. league basketball game decked out in a jersey, shorts, and shoes to look exactly like K.G. Whether he's throwing down reverse dunks or not, he's still trying awfully hard to be someone he's not. Save that jersey for rooting on the team while you're watching them play.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'll tell you what's worse than wearing the team kit of your favorite rider (or just by chance buying the kit that the dominant rider wears). It is the elitist attitude that the rider is somehow less of an individual or must back up the kit with a podium finish. Such a petty argument.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Here's a question born out of pure speculation:

It would appear Hill is still capable of annihilating the rest of the field should he choose to. If he continues to dominate, and takes he overall, with his contract due up at the end of the year, what is the likelihood of him finding himself in the same situation as Vouliouz was at the end of his time with Sunn? That is, no-one's prepared to offer him a ride because he's already so successful. If he should change equipment, then stop winning, it makes the product look bad.

It's true. I should find more interesting things to think about, but I thought it was interesting...
Um well if that happened I would consider the industry still has not matured and lacks forsight and understanding of market forces!

Regardless of wether they sell replica's or MK3s or any other brand or product!

Winning on Sunday sells on Monday, many companies in sport who no longer back up a race program have fallen by the way side, lack of exposure, development, and perception of not being at the leading edge all contribute! Without someone like Sam Hill on IH they would fall behind the curtains once again in a very short time!

Sam's the most marketable force in Mountain Biking right now, as is Sabrina Jonnier and again its sad indietment that she doesn't get the exposure and marketing time, there's a whole other population for MTB to make hay out of and they are largely ignoring this market [women Im speaking of] more air time in DVDs more articles in mags clothing etc..

There's so much potentail its scary yet seems ignorant to this fact!

Cedric is a good example and largely I suspect he does this mostly on his own cause hes a smart operator, he reinvents himself every year and chooses smart people to work with so even without results to back himself up he stays in the spotlight keeps himself marketable and is one of the few probably who do very well in the sport yet give allot back!

Anyway I hope youre wrong, cause our sport will suffer, and we all lose when that happens!

Boogenman I hear ya Ive had Swampthing's for sometime as well it amazes me people haven't or won't try something different, one of the best tires around, even ok when it gets dry, amazing in wet stuff unless really thick and soft, but even then still hangs in there great tire!

Im not sure of the conditions in the US but what I see on DVD etc looks pretty dry mostly, here we have wet winters, lots of muddy areas to ride, seems like every DH race is a muddy one, which is cool, I love mud even though sometimes some courses make you wish for dry conditions, just crap myself sometimes watching people slide downhill on there butts faster than they do riding:shocked: :monkeydance:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Wow this thread turned to queer eye for the straight guy pretty fast. How bout you guys move it to a new thread and leave the rad maribor discussion alone?

k thanx bye

Good point. Sorry for the derailment!

--JP
P.S. Can't wait to see what FABULOUS outfit you're wearing at Bromont next weekend. :)

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO

It would appear Hill is still capable of annihilating the rest of the field should he choose to. If he continues to dominate, and takes he overall, with his contract due up at the end of the year, what is the likelihood of him finding himself in the same situation as Vouliouz was at the end of his time with Sunn? That is, no-one's prepared to offer him a ride because he's already so successful. If he should change equipment, then stop winning, it makes the product look bad.

It's true. I should find more interesting things to think about, but I thought it was interesting...

Was that really the case with Vouilloz? I never heard that before.

As for Hill, I can see him dominating on a number of different bikes. I certainly don't think the Sunday hurts his chances, but I'm guessing he's in the same skill category as a guy like Steve Peat, who kicked ass on everything from an i-Drive to a single pivot to a VPP.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Was that really the case with Vouilloz? I never heard that before.

As for Hill, I can see him dominating on a number of different bikes. I certainly don't think the Sunday hurts his chances, but I'm guessing he's in the same skill category as a guy like Steve Peat, who kicked ass on everything from an i-Drive to a single pivot to a VPP.
Absolutley, hes a freak, but also now knows what it takes to win and more importantly keep winning!

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Agreed.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
A new hair doo?

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Sorry about the further derailment. I could really give a sh*t about this, however I am compelled by curiousity by the comments about unindividualisim.

I've been sponsored by IronHorse Bicycles since 2005,
I have been sponsored by Troy Lee Designs since 2007,
I have been sponsored by Five Ten shoes since 2007,
I happened to be sponsored by Scott Optics last year,
This year I am sponsored by Maxxis tires.

Now does having relationships with said companies (who also happen to support Sam) and using these products make me a biter? Should I call off my sponsorship support because I use, and wear a lot of similar product as he does? I'd be better off sitting around looking at pictures of pro's racing on the internet, and organizing my kit so I don't look un-individual?
Sorry, I rather be out there doing work son.
I support the companies who support me, and who have the most superior product (in my opinion-not yours apparently).
I am a professional. So it's ok as long as I'm pulling top fives right?
If I have a poor result I should check my bike and gear in- until I pull off another "top five"?

Why should it be different ok for pro's but not amateurs?
These folks who are out there buying "replica" kits are the ones keeping the sport alive. By buying retail. By having Pro heroes.
This is how it works. If you call these unindividualists lame and cause them to go away, we have no one supporting the shops which in turn support manufacturers, who support races, who support Professionals. It's like a mini-economy duh.

Go ride your damn bike. This is why America has been sucking at Downhill!!!!

Rant over

Lars
end of argument. now back to the awesomeness that is maribor, anyone else have sick pictures?

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
It won't matter what Hill rides, he will always win or be on the top.

I would like to see him on a SP bike next year just to make things interesting.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
It won't matter what Hill rides, he will always win or be on the top.

I would like to see him on a SP bike next year just to make things interesting.
Sams definitely on the gas early this season, Im sure thats thrown a few off guard!

Still interesting top 5, its a longer season this year, and I still think Sam barring injury will be on top, but there's some smart experienced riders there!

I would love to see a challenger when ya have a nemisis in sport it brings even more to the table, Aggassi/Sampras in the hey day, Borg Mac attack, Hill & ?

Hopefully we can see Tracey Mosley take it to Sabrina a bit more there's some good riders in that top 5 as well Rachel Atherton can she take it another step shes was very close on the same second as Sab, that will be a good battle, I was impressed with the speed of the girls from what I could see on freecaster coverage [awesome chur]
Not sure what happened to Tracey Mosely she came here for our summer and kicked butt, hopefully she will be back up there at the next round!

Maribor WC
Average speed - 53.72 Kmh / 33.38 Mph

more result info

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
last year it was just over 30mph on a dry course..... ridiculous how much speed these guys gain year to year
true, I can't get over how still SH is on the bike no matter what, cornering jumping, rear end swapping out or drifting he stays very centered and still but still in control, incredible to watch very different style to others, Peaty is brtual to a bke a bit like Rennie maybe its a size thing, or Sams moto background, yeah those times might not sound like much but in DH thats a big time difference!

Fluid - didn't know that, getting to know a course sure helps, I think thats a good thing too though F1 they get to pre test etc, its the same for everyone, so maybe it helped I dunno probably?

The next round is in Anndorra right?

At the Cedric designed course?

Chur

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
My turn to chime in with random responses:

1. Comparing Sam to Nico is WAY too early. Last I checked Nico had 3 Worlds before even racing Adults. Ten total. Sam is 4 years into pros and has a 1 Junior and 2 Seniors. At thie same point in his career, Nico had SEVEN. Fanboy all you want...but numbers don't lie.
You can hype it all you want, but the guy Hill is battling is near middle age (no offense to Peaty).

2. Jerseys - I had an awesome time at the Fontana night race wearing the Sam Hill replica Worlds jersey our shop gave me. The shuttle ride up, the runs down...classic comedy. Everyone but Jeremy thought I was Fanboy #1. They were so uncomfortable.

3. Anybody besides me realize how second class our sport is when Steve Peat is wearing a STOCK, off the shelf Kit. And his helmet is last years? It was only a few years ago that nobody wore what the pros wore til the next year. Oh wait...that's motocross. :thumb:

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia

Good point. It's weird how marketing works...

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Pretty pathetic for us Yanks when our highest ranking Countrymen has been off 'freeriding' for 3-5 years and beats all of the 'racers'.
Luke wasn't there ;)

But yeah... that result REALLY surprised me. Strait obviously has tons of talent and he has raced since he was a scrawny pre-pubescent kid, but the image associated with him over the last year or more has been the "thick" partying punk rock kid that doesn't give a f*ck. So yeah. Nice work! I can't wait to see how he does in future rounds...

This was his result the weekend before the WC round:

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
This is a great news about Bryceland.....
http://www.dirtmag.co.uk/news/category/dirt-team/bryceland-crash-update/dirt-1231445.html

"I spoke to Josh this morning to ask how he was doing and if he minded me posting the videos, he said "awesome, send me the link!"
He told me that he was waiting for a scan on Sunday to assess the damage, but at the moment he has a swollen knee and thigh, his quad muscles were okay but he said his dentist won't be too happy as he had just replaced his capped tooth."

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
1. Comparing Sam to Nico is WAY too early. Last I checked Nico had 3 Worlds before even racing Adults. Ten total. Sam is 4 years into pros and has a 1 Junior and 2 Seniors. At thie same point in his career, Nico had SEVEN. Fanboy all you want...but numbers don't lie.
Actually Sam did in fact have two junior titles, I beleive that he was also on the podium the year before that in 3rd. I know that is not a title but now the UCI wont even let you race Worlds until you are 17.

Nicos numbers are still up on Sams no doubt, bit I wouldnt discredit the kid just yet. Not to mention the competition now is arguably more fierce and the level of riding has progressed every year since then. Nico truly was an alien in his time but I really think that Sam is to the point that he is on an entirely different level than everyone else.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I don't know what's sadder...that Strait has a gut like mine and get top 25 in a World Cup once a year...or that a couple handfuls of dedicated Americans can't beat him?

Speaking of guts, Jurgen stomped a mudhole in everybody at Massanutten this weekend by 10 seconds.

I got a call from my buddy and he said"Some old dude just cokk punched the whole field. Who's Jergen Beneke?"

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I got a call from my buddy and he said"Some old dude just cokk punched the whole field. Who's Jergen Beneke?"
That's maybe the best quote of the week! I wonder how Jurgen's time in 1997 compared to his winning time in 2008.

-ska todd