Quantcast

World Cup #1 - South Africa

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
Freecaster is awesome. Had maybe 5 times where the picture froze, and within 2-3 seconds it was back up and running again. The audio never stopped.
Ditto. Had a great morning watching that, can't wait for the rest of the season. Very suprised by Hill's performance on such a pedally track, thought he had it, even more suprised when Peaty came through and beat him! Congrats to Greg, he made everyone look slow.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Dunno if this was already covered seeing as there are 35 pages to this thread, but what happened to Kovarik? I see he got last place with a solid 6:30. Bike issues? Flat?

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
if im honest if found the race coverage pretty ****ty,where are the big gaps,tables etc when you need them,barely footage from the top off the hill and most off the time it was from the stilh drop off to the finish line.I hope the next coverage is gonna be better than this one

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
^ Warner stated at the very beginning of the broadcast how difficult it was to put the whole thing together due to logistical issues and internet connection stuff. He apologized and said the the rest of the broadcasts are gonna be alot better.
Some of the cracks Warner makes are super funny man.

That line Gee and Hill took at the very top was unreal.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
sam's run was the best thing I have ever seen, he was so smooth! seriously good result for him. I am delighted. Although I knew Minnaar was going to take it he had to, he is unreal!
this photo of sam is amazing by fraser britton

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Was Greg on the air shock for his race run? And if so, does anybody know the last time a bike with a rear air shock won a WC DH event?
Rob Royksop said they only used the air shocks for practise and qualifying. They wanted a more dependable setup for the race run.

Minnars time was unreall the other 2 boys on the podium wheren't exactly hanging around either. Peat is some man to still be on the pace after that many years of racing.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
The funny thing is that with the exception of the Trek (possibly) you can't buy the bike/frame that any of those guys are riding.
The thing is that the bikes from Spec, Commencal, yeti......bla bla bla have some custom geo and tweaks for the team riders but they are the same basic bikes. Sam's Demo has tweaked geo and a shorter shock then the Demo 8 for sale. But for humans the stock bike would likely work better.

Most riders aren't going to want a 61 degree head angle an 13" BB. Thank god the they don't sell it as the stock bike.

Friggin great race. I think Freecaster did the best they could with what they had to work with. The stream didn't crap out on me once from the start of the womans race right to the finish. Warner was Hillarious!!!!!!!! Camel Toe!!!!

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
That was excellent coverage from Freecaster. Really enjoyed it.

To make it even better:
It would be helpful if they had an informative guy to help as Rob Warners sidekick for stats etc.. Rob is not that well informed, it doesnt matter really as he is really funny. I feel his side kick should compliment that part , rather than being beavis and butthead.

Some more information on some of the lesser known riders during the first 2/3 rds of the race would be helpful. Dont know, but I felt I knew more than the commentators did about some of the riders... anyone else think that....?

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
If winning NZ Worlds along with 3 wins and plenty of podiums at the MSA and Ft. William World Cups wasn't enough to convince you that Hill can pedal, this result certainly should. looks like he did his homework during the off season for sure.

The usual suspects all finished in the top 5. Game on!

Fakewade

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
Back in Scotland
If winning NZ Worlds along with 3 wins and plenty of podiums at the MSA and Ft. William World Cups wasn't enough to convince you that Hill can pedal, this result certainly should. looks like he did his homework during the off season for sure.
Well said sir!!!

Big shout out has to go to Dirt for their fantastic coverage, from the 6 a day pics to the 'chest cam?' and interview footage! Spot on boys :clapping:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Hopefully freecaster posts some of the final DH runs. Hill looked super smooth, Peaty and Hannah were laying the power down, Minnaar was just rediculous. . . . and Gee looked tired.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Absolutely. When I heard the rumor that Hill had found 10% over the winter I thought yeah, whatever. Well I'm sure he wouldn't have got near that time last year. To beat Gee on a course like that. It's going to be unreal to see him on a proper track

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV

The usual suspects all finished in the top 5. Game on!
Agreed. Its too bad his heavy freeride huck bike slowed him down though. I bet if he was on Iron Horse still he would have won by like 30 seconds. :)

Fakewade

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
Back in Scotland
Tons of interviews plus the 4X semis up on Freecaster people!!

Don't get why Gee was tired considering the mental off season training he and his siblings underwent in Cali!

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008

Don't get why Gee was tired considering the mental off season training he and his siblings underwent in Cali!

I was really surprised by that as well, Sometimes peoples bodies have serious issues climatizing but they were their for a few days. Who knows, but I was expecting a way better result from Gee on that track.

Side note though, I tought it was pretty cool when they were interviewing the Trek Team Manager, he was talking about how they researched all the tracks and picked their riders based on that. Pretty serious planning if you ask me.

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
I am sure this has been said but I was shocked when I saw Sam take that line through the rock garden. It was definitely the fastest option through that section.

Last edited:

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
I just got one point that could be improved concerning the broadcast. The timing only got on screen during the last jump. It would be far more exciting to be able to see the timing almost all the time so you could see who reaches a part of the course at what time. Now you sometimes thought somebody was going for the hot seat while they where actuall 5 seconds down.

But thats just something minor that could make it a bit more exciting.
Thanks to Freecaster.tv , it was great.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
He raced, sucks for him as he didn't have a good result, I think he came almost dead last. It also sucks for Kovarik, anyone know what happened to him? Hill surprised me with his result, I didn't think he'd do so well. And of course, so stoked for Minnaar, but also Mick Hannah! Hannah is a machine!

Did he crash or was it only a bad run caused by a very bad last season?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
:clapping: Am I missing an important thing here?
7 seconds down on Minaar...or don't the fan boys :twitch: understand simple maths? :huh:
On a track that's completely not Sam's style. He's not a strong pedaler while Greg is a very big and strong guy riding on his home trail. It's a good result considering Sam's abilities. Look at Canberra last year.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006

thats possibly why he was tired, a bit burnt out..

also he is extremely lean!! losing fat is all well and good if you are overweight, but after a certain point extreme low bodyfat levels have a detrimental effect on energy levels.

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Well done Mick! Killer come back! I wonder if Mick had of let Greg qualify first, things might have been different?? Greg obviously unleashed something special for the home country...

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Matti flatted according to Adam Brayton.

Sam got 4th, good for him, he didn't win though so can the fanboys please hush.

Greg killed it and made everyone look like they were just out for a sunday ride. According to Greg he only rode the track once before this race so it's not really his "home track".

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Matti flatted according to Adam Brayton.

Sam got 4th, good for him, he didn't win though so can the fanboys please hush.

Greg killed it and made everyone look like they were just out for a sunday ride. According to Greg he only rode the track once before this race so it's not really his "home track".
Matti must kill a chicken over his helmet, pay the gipsies or sth as he is obviously cursed. Last season - 2 serious injuries + blown shock, fork and hub problems on his race run in Maribor? How is this possible. Or is it just the MS Racing curse that was killing Kovarik while he was racing for them not allowing him to finish without incidents in any race?

BTW. Is it me or is this year a even more suiting Greg? Worlds + one more pedaly trail than last year? A bit crappy imo as I was counting on Blenki steping up his game and Matti going back to it and they are both not strong pedalers. Well that plus the fact that I don't really think DH is more over pedaling than anything else.

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Matti must kill a chicken over his helmet, pay the gipsies or sth as he is obviously cursed. Last season - 2 serious injuries + blown shock, fork and hub problems on his race run in Maribor? How is this possible. Or is it just the MS Racing curse that was killing Kovarik while he was racing for them not allowing him to finish without incidents in any race?

BTW. Is it me or is this year a even more suiting Greg? Worlds + one more pedaly trail than last year? A bit crappy imo as I was counting on Blenki steping up his game and Matti going back to it and they are both not strong pedalers. Well that plus the fact that I don't really think DH is more over pedaling than anything else.

I seem to remember Blinki getting something like 7th at the Mega Avalanche a few years ago on his DH bike and flat pedals, and that track has a few 100 feet of climbing.

where i think greg has the advantage in RSA and again in Canberra is that he's got lots of power and he's one of the smoothest riders on the circuit; probably has the best combination of the 2 out of anyone else. on a one-line track with lots of jumps and no place to make up time he just doesn't give anything away.

Jester

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Beverly, MA
To make it even better:
It would be helpful if they had an informative guy to help as Rob Warners sidekick for stats etc.. Rob is not that well informed, it doesnt matter really as he is really funny. I feel his side kick should compliment that part , rather than being beavis and butthead.

Some more information on some of the lesser known riders during the first 2/3 rds of the race would be helpful. Dont know, but I felt I knew more than the commentators did about some of the riders... anyone else think that....?

Thats exactly what I was thinking during the race. I think Rob is a fantastic color man but we need somebody that can provide some real info. I was surprised they didn't update us what the current top five was during the race, I had to keep checking UCI live timing.

Fakewade

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
Back in Scotland
Don't know what everyone else thought, but I liked Tim March as a partner (commentator that is) for Warner, even though he was responsible for that ridiculously long question he asked Peaty at last years Worlds!

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
I seem to remember Blinki getting something like 7th at the Mega Avalanche a few years ago on his DH bike and flat pedals, and that track has a few 100 feet of climbing.

where i think greg has the advantage in RSA and again in Canberra is that he's got lots of power and he's one of the smoothest riders on the circuit; probably has the best combination of the 2 out of anyone else. on a one-line track with lots of jumps and no place to make up time he just doesn't give anything away.
There is a serious amount of pedalling in the mega avalanche and Blenki did get 7th on his downhill bike, which is incredible.
I thought I had lost a lung when I just did the qualifier let alone the mega itself!