Quantcast

World Cup #1 - South Africa

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
Wow, doesn't seem like the young-guns like the pedalling. Smith, Fairclough, Gwinn and Bryceland all in a group of the up-and-comers well down in qualifying.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Copied from Dirt mag
Tracy Moseley looked quite comfortable with a 4:29 and was clearly carrying a shed load more speed along the finish section. Six seconds up on Ragot with Buchar in third.
Sabrina Jonnier clocked a 4:51.

Did Sabrina have a crash, time is way off :hmm:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really can't get excited about an air sprung rear shock. They're for people who get excited about putting their bike on a scale. I know comparing dh bikes to cars and motos has its limits, but if air was a superior spring you'd see it being used elsewhere.
Like forks? :)

I'm all for technology progressing, and if someone has (finally) figured out all of the issues with an air spring in a small package, and tiptoed around the current patents, then I say good for them. However, there definitely has to be either equal performance and lighter weight, or superior performance and a similar weight. An air rear shock just for the sake of it being air, or sacrificing performance for a small weight benefit just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really can't get excited about an air sprung rear shock. They're for people who get excited about putting their bike on a scale. I know comparing dh bikes to cars and motos has its limits, but if air was a superior spring you'd see it being used elsewhere.
Air shock has it's place (very small one) in DH......WC downhill racing is not it though. But they gotta push it out there and get eyes on it....

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Looks like peat was fastest at the split, hopefully he can speed it up for that second section...

I know its only timed practice, but how the hell does the guy do it year after year...I keep expecting to see him around 30th like gracia, but nope, consistently top 5. Always.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
The infinite adjustability is what I love about air forks/shocks - provided the performance is at least in the same ballpark as a coil spring. The lighter weight is also a nice bonus, but the ability to soften or stiffen up the spring rate by just using a shock pump has always been a huge positive for me.

I saw some of the blackbox guys testing this shock at Whistler last July. In person, it's very bizarre-looking - that main chamber is the size of one of those Heinneken keg cans.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Looks like peat was fastest at the split, hopefully he can speed it up for that second section...

I know its only timed practice, but how the hell does the guy do it year after year...I keep expecting to see him around 30th like gracia, but nope, consistently top 5. Always.
Ya, old guy...with a 2nd kid on the way any day now.
He is legendary.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Gwin?
Brendan?
and more
off the back

are they not giving out points anymore for qualis?
or did these guys not train this winter?

Last edited:

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
oops, youre right, that time is for the 4x
1PM EST...which makes me wonder who's right? Freecaster with 9am or DIRT with 1pm

4 x qualifying....Graves, Prokop, fishbach, Wichman, Rinderknecht. Womens, Kintner, Beerten, Horacova
actual results, or prediction?

also, is it dark by the time they start(qualies or finals)? they gonna be under lights?

Last edited:

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I am so confused with the time now.
Is the 4x at around 9am est and the DH at 1pm est?
Both on Saturday?
Does this help? Straight from the main page on Freecaster. (Edit: Only 2 hr difference between East and West Coast ???? Maybe I just added to the confusion)

UCI MTB Worldcup South Africa - 4X
European Time Zone - Saturday 11 APRIL CEST
16:15 - 18:004X Final UK Time Zone - Saturday 11 APRIL GMT
14:15 - 16:004X Final U.S. Time Zone (East Coast) - Saturday 11 APRIL EST
09:15 - 11:004X Final U.S. Time Zone (West Coast) - Saturday 11 APRIL PDT
07:15 - 09:004X Final UCI MTB Worldcup South Africa - DHI
European Time Zone - Sunday 12 APRIL CEST
13:15 - 14:00DH Final Women 14:00 - 16:00DH Final Men UK Time Zone - Sunday 12 APRIL GMT
11:15 - 12:00DH Final Women 12:00 - 14:00DH Final Men U.S. Time Zone (East Coast) - Sunday 12 APRIL EST
08:15 - 9:00DH Final Women 09:00 - 11:00DH Final Men U.S. Time Zone (West Coast) - Sunday 12 APRIL PDT
06:15 - 07:00DH Final Women 07:00 - 09:00DH Final Men

Last edited: