Quantcast

World Cup #2 - La Bresse, France

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Ska Todd, I like your explanation about why UCI World Cups won't be held in the states. Kinda figured it was due to liabilty and not having enough funds...mountain biking just isn't big here like it is in Europe. I can't say for sure, but the US should look into Whiteface Mtn. to hold a WorldCup. I'm sure there are plenty of other mountains out west that are better, but since the World Cups already go to Mount Saint Anne/Bromont, Whiteface wouldn't be that long of haul for the teams. Then again, Whiteface is the only "real" mountain i've ever ridden DH, besides Diablo. So in the end, i'm biased, but I would love to see a World Cup come to America, hopefully within the next 10 years.
We would need a location with the infrastructure to host a World Cup. Oh wait a minute we have all that from the 1980 Winter Olympics and the 5 World Cup Events Whiteface does each winter. Just a matter of time.

S

seespotendo

Plenty more places on the East Coast have
Everyone knows about the Massanutten Yee-Ha race every year right? How many people know of/remember the W.C. that took place there in 1997?
I remember that race, I was like 7ish when my dad took me. It was an awesome race in my book at that time. haha.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
The track in Labrisse looks like it could be super fun to watch certain sections of (grassy off-camber corners) but for the entire track to be like that is a little discerning! The riders want to be challenged and the public want something inspiring to watch. This is not that. (This is all assuming that the helmet cam is indeed the track we will see the race on). I'm actually hoping it rains, a lot. Should make it more interesting and remind me of the wet French race from the '99 '00 WC season (somewhere around there)

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Whatever the course is, I'll be watching the whole thing on Freecaster. Littermag says that Rachel Atherton will be commentating while she heals. I hope she works out well.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
Thanks Ronan. I leave in an hour for the airport. What is the weather like temperature wise? Do I need to pack warm gloves/jacket etc as well?
weather will be ok tomorrow i think, pretty cloudy today

its probably safer to bring a jacket and maybe some gloves as of the altitude and it can be cold in the mornings if the sun doesn't come out (if you were there last year im sure you know what its like)

also, i never took the photo, so i feel bad that im taking credit for it on the website! it was just sent to me via e-mail

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
think this track isnt very interesting?

wait for andorra

snow world cups!

Oh man, anyone else here remember Big Bear '98. several feet of snow pack up top and 2 feet of snow first day of practice. the hand shoveled the entire track over night and it was hog wild. up top it was like slot car racing on bikes with 4 foot vert walls of snow inches away from your handlebars and by race day it was an absolute muddy mess at the bottom; people were losing shoes. glad I did it once, but wouldn't look forward to it the second time.

oh yea, and going snow-blind in the open slopes meant a few second of no vision when the track dropped back into black mud in the woods.

Last edited:

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
Would love to see a world cup at snowshoe, since that is more or less my home mountain. I guess I will have to wait for MSA next year to get my world cup fix.

dondon

Monkey
Im arriving CDG Paris 7am Thursday. Before i begin to surf the french SNCF rail and TGV sites just checking to see if anyone driving from Paris to Labresse same day. Or if someone has plotted this out already let me know. cheers

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Got nothing on the '95 NORBA @ Mammoth (pretty much a World Cup with all the players in town for the Big Bear WC the following week). There were like 10' walls lining much of the lower course (Kamikaze course). They had some crazy groomer/snow cutter machine cut the path down the course. I felt like I was in Star Wars or Tron going down it. We were going up the lift with skiers and some skiers were even gapping over the course.

Last edited:

ChimChim

Chimp
Feb 4, 2009
This is a wild track...outdoor moto style with lumps/bumps everywhere, hardly any pedaling, and there's gonna be mass carnage especially if it rains.

Gonna be awesome to see the top guys battle down this one!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
This is a wild track...outdoor moto style with lumps/bumps everywhere, hardly any pedaling, and there's gonna be mass carnage especially if it rains.

Gonna be awesome to see the top guys battle down this one!
So stoked on a real track. Yeah!
But according to the internets the course is lame and pedally (even though the guys in the crappy helmet cam vid are almost always coasting):shocked:

ChimChim

Chimp
Feb 4, 2009
But according to the internets the course is lame and pedally (even though the guys in the crappy helmet cam vid are almost always coasting):shocked:
I done saw it wit my own eyes...everyone will be in for a big surprise if they thought it had a lot of pedaling!

Short and open enough for some cool freecaster coverage...I don't think anyone will be upset waking up early to watch this one.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Looks pretty cool......short though.

Looks like alot of rock waiting to poke through that top layer of vegatation.

Could cover the whole race via helicopter.....that would be some neat footage.
:pirate2:

..and with the ground saturated the course is going to get ridiculous....

in fairness, the first impression people are getting (from the video) is a 300 meter (approx.) nearly straight grass sprint.....but the rest of the course looks like it is going to chop up nice....

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
Found on farkin.net forum:

"Just got word from Rhys and the guys had a chance to ride the track before they shut it down to prepare it for racing. Rhys said that it's a really steep, fast track. Laurie, Tamryn and Rhys are really looking forward to racing this track. I guess the helmet cam doesn't show how steep the track really is. "

Rhys is a fast young dh rider from AUS.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Now lets hope there are some more cameras than in South Africa.

I remember some epic racing in 90s on super muddy WC tracks with some great crashes and the top guys showing proving that mud is not a problem.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Will be interesting to see what happens if it rains, might see some better results from guys like Gracia, Pascal and a few of the others who always seem to get along well with the mud.

And of course there's that other guy who rode the last steep muddy wc track faster than everyone else did in the dry . . . .

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I got a message from a fried who is on site now. Apparently the track is steep and mega technical, with lots of grassy off camber (for now). He says it will be an absolute mess in the rain. I cannot wait, woo woo!

fanffan

Chimp
Sep 22, 2007
have a look here... Not that shallow

They forecast rain this week. Differently to the Alps or the Black Forest in Germany nearby, the Vosges (where La Bresse is...) do not dry that fast after it rained....

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
yeah he was stupid fast, but who remembers who came in 3rd in the Daytona 500?...can you "make history" by not winning?
Heck, I don't know who came in first in the Daytona 500!

But I think most folks that follow WC dh are aware of and will remember the smackdown Sam pulled at Champery.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
yeah he was stupid fast, but who remembers who came in 3rd in the Daytona 500?...can you "make history" by not winning?
Mention Champery and the name that comes to mind won't be Matti Lehikoinen.

And to answer your second question, yes. Two of the greatest displays of bike riding ever were Hill's runs at Champery and Val de Sol. It's only a matter of time before he pulls off a ride like that and wins. Probably the only guy with a chance to beat Kovarik's winning margin at Ft. William '02

Back on topic a bit, that track looks like it might suit a lot of the British riders quite nicely. Especially if it's wet

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Mention Champery and the name that comes to mind won't be Matti Lehikoinen.

And to answer your second question, yes. Two of the greatest displays of bike riding ever were Hill's runs at Champery and Val de Sol. It's only a matter of time before he pulls off a ride like that and wins. Probably the only guy with a chance to beat Kovarik's winning margin at Ft. William '02

Back on topic a bit, that track looks like it might suit a lot of the British riders quite nicely. Especially if it's wet
Oh it WILL be wet. Only sun in forecast is thursday.