Quantcast

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Ha...could Ronaldo look any more like a freakin' fairyin the first half? Jesus...I knew he was a flopper (that's saying a lot for a soccer player) but wow...
First half? What about the second half! These so-called stars are primadonas, who haven't done sh*t in the WC. Best player in the world? Please, spare me. Not to mention the CBC commentator appears to be in love with the guy - every time he touches the ball, he starts screaming. wtf.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was very happy with the Ivory Coast attacking without Drogba. I knew they wouldn't sit back, but damn, they are serious.

If Brazil isn't on game today, Ivory Coast could make it out of the group of death.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
First half? What about the second half! These so-called stars are primadonas, who haven't done sh*t in the WC. Best player in the world? Please, spare me. Not to mention the CBC commentator appears to be in love with the guy - every time he touches the ball, he starts screaming. wtf.
In my defense...I was posting near halftime... :)

The guys doing the ESPN3 broadcast were talking trash about him being the worst flopper on the field...it was awesome.

That late second half free kick he got was trash though...just tripped over his own feet...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
"Even a slight wind in his direction will cause him to go down..." Awesome.
Wish I could have heard that - I HATE the CBC commentary. Only one guy too - so absolutely no balance for 90 mins... gets tiring.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Anyone watch the Holland game yesterday? Nigel de Jong is a walking red card looking for a place to happen.

If there is a God, hopefully Holland and Portugal meet, and de Jong fractures Ronaldo's tibia and fibia in about 50 places with a reckless tackle (pretty much every tackle he attempted yesterday fit that criteria, it seemed) and only gets a yellow due to Ronaldo's frequent flopping.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Soccer flopping is suck a frikkin joke.
You see, that's the thing - it's actually against the rules to flop, however with one ref on the whole pitch and no instant replay the refs certainly seem to have a hard time calling it definitively. When they do see it, you get a yellow card.

Unfortunately, classless players still do it because it works more times than it's caught.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Was he getting yellow-carded? Saw several of those in the two matches I watched...
Yeah. He got yellow carded about mid way through the first...along with Demel from Ivory.

Ironically, there was a lot of contact by Demel (didn't even get close to the ball) and the ref came over as Ronaldo was getting all indignant and gave each a yellow. It was funny.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
North Korea was tight for the whole first half. They don't flop, either.

But now I am curious if what the announcer said about the fans is true.

"I was told that the Korean fans aren't actually Korean. They are Chinese actors paid to attend and pose as fans."

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
North Korea was tight for the whole first half. They don't flop, either.

But now I am curious if what the announcer said about the fans is true.

"I was told that the Korean fans aren't actually Korean. They are Chinese actors paid to attend and pose as fans."
wouldn't surprise me. North Korea doesn't really let foreigners in, I doubt they'd let their own out.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
wouldn't surprise me. North Korea doesn't really let foreigners in, I doubt they'd let their own out.
That's what cracks me up. Funny because it's true, or funny because it's not a hard sell if it aint.

<edit> And how sweet of a gig is that? "I will pay you to attend the World Cup, but you have to act Korean." :rofl:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I predict at least one of the games today will end in a tie.
I wouldn't be so sure. Spain and Uruguay should both win. That just leaves Chile-Honduras to tie, and Chile is looking a lot stronger so far.

Of course, who knows what the fvck will actually happen.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaalllll

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Looking forward to seeing Spain play. Unfortunately my boss, apparently, isn't a soccer fan and has scheduled a 2hr meeting from hell at 10:30.

*sigh*

Torres and Fabregas could be an exciting duo, and there are a lot of solid player around them.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Either Spain is looking a little flat, or Switzerland is better than I thought.

<edit> Spain looks bad.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
All the hype around the teams annoys the hell out of me. This is the world cup - there was a hell of a lot of qualifying to get here and any team can beat any other team on a given day.

North Korea just kept Brazil to 2-1. If you listen to the commentators (CBC), you would think that the scoreline would be 20-0. Funny thing is, they don't know sh*t about north korean soccer or their run up to qualifications.

The love affair with the fashionable teams needs to stop.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
All your base are belong to Budweiser

my old company was a primary sponsor for consumer electronics for years and all the video screens in the stadiums had to be ours

Two Dutch women have been arrested and are due to appear in court in Johannesburg later on Wednesday, facing possible charges linked to a suspected ambush market campaign by brewer Bavaria at a World Cup tie.

&#8220;These women, who have been part of a larger group, are suspected to be involved in organized acts to conduct unlawful commercial activities during the Denmark Netherlands match on Monday,&#8221; South African police said in a statement on Wednesday...........

..........Anheuser Busch&#8217;s Budweiser is the official beer for the tournament and world soccer&#8217;s governing body fiercely protects its sponsors from brands which are not FIFA partners.

FIFA has started legal proceedings against the Dutch brewer.
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/world-dutch-women-arrested-over-ambush-marketing--fbintl_reu-worldarrest.html

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That was ridiculous defending by the Swiss. I only caught the second half, but wow. Not like Spain didn't have chances...They out shot the Swiss 3 to 1.
But the number of Spanish shots that went high and wide were crazy. They had about 5 legitimate shots on goal and the Swiss keeper was on fire.

It looked like Spain took way too much time trying to set up allowing the Swizz to pack the box. Way too many touches when there is that little space. The best opportunities came on solid runs from the hash.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
But the number of Spanish shots that went high and wide were crazy. They had about 5 legitimate shots on goal and the Swiss keeper was on fire.

It looked like Spain took way too much time trying to set up allowing the Swizz to pack the box. Way too many touches when there is that little space. The best opportunities came on solid runs from the hash.
Yep. Their passing game is tiring to the other team...except when they pass themselves out of opportunities...and just wait too damn long...

Odd reference: Swizz Beatz Spain...heh...