Quantcast

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Free-flowing is not bull****, it's how the sport is played. There should be a solution that keeps the game moving - if that's a quick instant replay, fine.

You are deceiving yourself to think ESPN will get into it with FIFA over a play on the field concerning the US team. If ESPN doesn't want it, someone else will pick it up.

I hope you don't think the US is the only team that had problems. Just yesterday - how about 2 different handballs on the same play, by the same player in the Brazil goal against Cote d'Ivoire.

Welcome to World Cup Soccer.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Despite the date on this article, I saw a similar one posted Saturday. Then on Sunday, this same ref was the 4th official in the Brazil/Cote d'Ivoire match.

One thing we all can agree on - FIFA needs to take control of the mess the games have become (or rather, have been for quite some time.) Refs are there to control the games, and they're blowing it on a regular basis.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Free-flowing is not bull****, it's how the sport is played. There should be a solution that keeps the game moving - if that's a quick instant replay, fine.

You are deceiving yourself to think ESPN will get into it with FIFA over a play on the field concerning the US team. If ESPN doesn't want it, someone else will pick it up.

I hope you don't think the US is the only team that had problems. Just yesterday - how about 2 different handballs on the same play, by the same player in the Brazil goal against Cote d'Ivoire.

Welcome to World Cup Soccer.
ESPN not get into it with FIFA, are you joking??!? ESPN dropped $100m for broadcasting rights for 2010 and 2014, more than any other country in the world. If they lose $40m on this years World Cup because Americans are PISSED at the horrible officiating and are changing the channel after the US doesn't advance (due to said horrible officiating), you'd better believe that there will be a nice little sitdown as to how FIFA can improve for next time. Who else would pick it up, or at the very least have the $$ to drop $100m on something like this? NBC lost $223m on the 2010 Winter Olympics due to overpaying for the rights and low revenue from advertisers. I highly doubt that they'd be willing to lose another $40-50m on the 2014 World Cup. Smaller sports companies like Versus could never scrape together the amount of cash needed, which would leave Fox and CBS. While either of them *might* make a bid if ESPN drops out, I highly doubt it'd be anywhere NEAR the $100m that ESPN paid.

And I'm not saying video replay on every event, but there are definitely steps that can be taken to ensure that this crap doesn't continue:

1) More referees. Add one or two more referees (assistant referees?), and allow any of them to call infractions. Maybe if there's a ref right by the play, the one that's half a pitch away won't feel the need to call something just because an Italian player is flopping around on the ground.
2) Game reviews after all games. Allow a team of referees to review plays and either a) rescind yellow cards (ie, Findley's intentional handball) or b) issue yellow or red cards for diving, unsportsmanlike conduct, etc.

Neither of these will slow the game down, and in fact might speed it up since there will be fewer dives, players falling on the ground clutching their face/ankle/arm/whatever, rolling around in "pain" until their trainer comes over, rubs the affected spot a little bit, and tells him that "yes, the ref saw it, and the other guy got a yellow card. Now stand up and start playing again, great job on the acting..."

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
While I feel your pain, changing fundamental rules of soccer is not something that will be done lightly. Yes, an instant replay would be awesome. A review of 1 minute max would take less time than a single application of magic spray and would not slow the pace.

But FIFA's stance is the element of human error. Think "Hand of God goal" (google if you have no idea). While I understand it is an aspect of the game, with the advent of the birds eye camera angles and composite 3D views, very little would ever get by.

But where do you draw the line? Are you going to review every time a player sneaks a shirt pull? Only contested goals get reviewed? Give the coach challenge flag and they lose a sub?

<edit> Is baseball going to get instant replay, too?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Let's go Honduras!

This mornings match between Portugal & N. Korea was embarrassing! I bet ol' Kim Jong Il is gonna have the whole team shot or sent to work in a coal mine or something.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Let's go Honduras!

This mornings match between Portugal & N. Korea was embarrassing! I bet ol' Kim Jong Il is gonna have the whole team shot or sent to work in a coal mine or something.
I'm pretty sure everyone in N. Korea is celebrating their supreme victory to win the World Cup.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
...so why is it that all the diving and histrionics seems to take place in WC matches? I dont remember seeing such idiocy in Bundesliga games...and I have seen over 30 in person. SOME type of replay or oversight is needed in international competition. Legitmacy is calling...will FIFA answer the ring?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Tshabalala!!! Sweet corner. He has the best name in sports., but you have to hear the Spanish announcers say it to fully appreciate it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not just a yellow card, his second of the match, meaning that it counted as a red card. As such, he's going to be out for the next game.....

A different angle, at least while it's up, since FIFA seems to be going after it's vids on youtube.
they seem more concerned about youtube videos than making proper calls.