Quantcast

World Cup 2019 Team Rumors

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Vergier and Wilson might move to other teams? Can't recall where I heard re: Vergier but warner mentioned that reece could be moving.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I believe this is gwin's last year on his YT contract. he did just get his 29'er and seems to mesh with the team though. staying or going back to trek if the athertons do move on?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I believe this is gwin's last year on his YT contract. he did just get his 29'er and seems to mesh with the team though. staying or going back to trek if the athertons do move on?
Need to wait for him to sign a letter of intent then to know where he's going :banana:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Seems like Gwin has been waiting for that 29er, maybe waiting for too long, and I could see deeper pockets luring him away. Or does YT have more money then it’d seem?

I’m wondering if Tahnee could benefit from a team/teammates/coach/bike change?

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Seems like Gwin has been waiting for that 29er, maybe waiting for too long, and I could see deeper pockets luring him away. Or does YT have more money then it’d seem?

I’m wondering if Tahnee could benefit from a team/teammates/coach/bike change?
I don't know that YT necessarily has pockets deeper than other manufacturers, but the deal that Gwin has been able to put together for himself because he's not tied to a major trade team is worth a lot. He estimated he made $1m in one of the final cathrovision videos last season, which obviously included performance bonuses for a huge world cup season. I don't know that there's any one big team out there that can afford that for a lead rider.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
So, you are saying his piecemeal approach to separate sponsors adds up to more?

Due to his increasing desirability, couldn’t he demand the same situation, but swapping in a larger frame player (Trek, say)? It seems to me that any bike company would want him on their frames even if he wasn’t doing their complete sponsor package.

I also think he’s ripe to add a big $$$ Ford/KTM/Budweiser type title sponsor.

I ride a YT and like their approach and bikes, so would rather not see him go.

I don't know that YT necessarily has pockets deeper than other manufacturers, but the deal that Gwin has been able to put together for himself because he's not tied to a major trade team is worth a lot. He estimated he made $1m in one of the final cathrovision videos last season, which obviously included performance bonuses for a huge world cup season. I don't know that there's any one big team out there that can afford that for a lead rider.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
So, you are saying his piecemeal approach to separate sponsors adds up to more?

Due to his increasing desirability, couldn’t he demand the same situation, but swapping in a larger frame player (Trek, say)? It seems to me that any bike company would want him on their frames even if he wasn’t doing their complete sponsor package.

I also think he’s ripe to add a big $$$ Ford/KTM/Budweiser type title sponsor.

I ride a YT and like their approach and bikes, so would rather not see him go.
Exactly, being able to pick and choose and say to a lower tier brand like TRP that I will run your stuff and help you develop better product and in return you will not only pay me to do it, but you'll give me a residual from every set of brakes you sell with my name on them surely adds up to more than Shimano giving you a set fee per year to ride their brakes. Assuming of course that you win races and people buy the stuff you run as a result.

So yes, a bigger name frame builder could probably step in and offer him more than YT, but that's assuming that a major team want to pay him more than YT already pays while also allowing him to exist outside of their existing factory team with their own sponsors already in place.

I'd agree that he was in the position to add a serious big name sponsor at the start of this year after the results he posted last year. Harder sell after this year when he hasn't been stacking up wins like they were going out of style. I was sure he was going to knock off Minnaar as the GOAT by half way through this season.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
The situation with YT also probably works out very well in his favour if he can have multiple 'signature' part deals with multiple sponsors, given their model of allowing consumers to buy the race-spec bikes direct off the peg. If you can have YT spec your signature brakes, grips, saddle, bars, spoke nipples and tubeless sealant on every top model Tues sold, because that's what the race team is running it works out to more dollars in your pocket at the end of the day.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Free bread and wine for all though ;)
Bring water and you'll drink wine!

Isn't YT "just" the main sponsor and frame provider? Whiteley and Gwin are the owners of the team with Whiteley being the manager as far as I know. Therefore it would be possible that they bring Trek back in their pits, which could add even more dollars. Don't forget that also Whiteley likes to drive fancy cars.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
It's funny how there's teams and then there's the individuals.

Syndicate is always looked at as a team- Peaty, Minnar and Ratboy. Or now, Minnar and those two kids. The Atherton are another example of that.

Even though Gwin is part of a team, we really only focus on him. Hill, Hart, and MacDonald are/we're always looked at as individuals it seems.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@Electric_City I think the difference there, is that it is pretty clear that Gwin, Hart, MacDonald are the dominant riders on those teams. Whether that be in pure race results or social media (Brendon Fairclough).

Whereas a team like Peaty/Minnaar/Ratboy and now Minnaar/Vergier/Shaw, they are all top riders with the own presence. Historically haven't the Santa Cruz teams been a little longer lasting too, rather than having riders constantly jump ship?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Cathro doing the course preview instead of Claudio would be great.

He could even do an extended version where he tries different lines and gives analysis before training starts. All the rider would watch it and it might even spoil the races by making the race day a rehearsal of exactly the same line by every consecutive riders... :brows:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I think Gee already got that job as part of his redbull-supported image rehab. Cathro is great though.

I like Needles announcing the Crankworks racing. Wyn is good/funny too, but I don’t see him taking Warner’s spot for quite a while.

Cathro doing the course preview instead of Claudio would be great.

He could even do an extended version where he tries different lines and gives analysis before training starts. All the rider would watch it and it might even spoil the races by making the race day a rehearsal of exactly the same line by every consecutive riders... :brows:

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I think Gee already got that job as part of his redbull-supported image rehab. Cathro is great though.

I like Needles announcing the Crankworks racing. Wyn is good/funny too, but I don’t see him taking Warner’s spot for quite a while.
Agree with all of this. Gee's course preview was great. Him and Cathro doing it together would be super cool.

Wyn isn't likely to stop racing in the near future so I don't think he will be commentating. His pre and post-race clips are perfect.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010

I found Needles commentary at Crankworx a bit tiresome tbh. Not sure if it was the accent but he seemed to talk quite slowly and didn't sound that enthusiastic about the whole thing.

Warner has really come a long way in his commentary - guess that training paid off. Great to hear a throwback to drunk-Warner-Freecaster-days in the La Bresse race though.

Will be interesting to see what the future holds for Wyn. Top 60 qualifying making it harder for some of the familiar faces.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
warmer’s doing ok recently...i was really hoping for something more rowdy about gwin’s move though...along the lines of “he scrubbed that jump like a french maid in a filthy loo,” etc...

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
not a team rumor per se, but it sounds like Whistler wants a world cup after all.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-look-the-stevie-smith-1199-dh-track.html
Yep they have quietly started hosting UCI sanctioned DH and XC events with thinks like the Canada Cup and the Canadian Open being a UCI class 1 level event. They need to jump through these hoops with the UCI before then can apply to host a WC.

The 2019 dates have been announced but not locations. I speculated in a NSMB Whistler thread that it would be a WC but someone from the trail crew said not 2019 for sure.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yep they have quietly started hosting UCI sanctioned DH and XC events with thinks like the Canada Cup and the Canadian Open being a UCI class 1 level event. They need to jump through these hoops with the UCI before then can apply to host a WC.

The 2019 dates have been announced but not locations. I speculated in a NSMB Whistler thread that it would be a WC but someone from the trail crew said not 2019 for sure.
from what i've heard a venue needs to host a certain number of UCI inscribed races before they'd be allowed to submit a bid for a WC. and the number is such that it generally takes two seasons to hit.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Didn't know where to post this, but uhhh Gwin still racing so I guess in here is okay?

SAVAGE sections here what the fuck haha. Whats with that gravel trap?