Quantcast

World Cup 2019 Team Rumors

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Wasn't his decision that they wouldn't meet his $$$ demands?
That, or YT used him for three years to make their company well-known(what sponsorships are for). They also had a lot of other good riders in the last 3 years. Now that Gwin is made a name for them, and made them well known in the DH world, do they need to "use" him anymore? Is his advertisement worth it to YT?

Just a different perspective.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
That’s a bit confusing since Whiteley owns the “Mob” team.

Dumb ass name anyway.

YT riders had a good showing at Rampage.

It could make business sense for YT to pivot to Enduro since Gwin is exiting.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
That’s a bit confusing since Whiteley owns the “Mob” team.

Dumb ass name anyway.

YT riders had a good showing at Rampage.

It could make business sense for YT to pivot to Enduro since Gwin is exiting.

:stupid:

I thought the Mob was Gwin / MW's creation, and they chose to run YT kit.

Was there a letter of intent?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
That, or YT used him for three years to make their company well-known(what sponsorships are for). They also had a lot of other good riders in the last 3 years. Now that Gwin is made a name for them, and made them well known in the DH world, do they need to "use" him anymore? Is his advertisement worth it to YT?

Just a different perspective.
they got known when they used to sell a high end equipped bike once a year with a huge pre-order sale for "pennies"

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Anyone else listen to the Downtime podcasts?
The recent Reece Wilson one was good.
http://www.downtimepodcast.com/reece-wilson/
Cool hearing how Reece got into mtb with RC.
29ers for whipping
Revgrips
Pancakes and Fortnight pre-race training

Reece on Full factory ride for 2019 with 2 other young guys. What do you think?

A Pierron, Estaque, Wilson Commenencal factory team?

or a new bike and team?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Anyone else listen to the Downtime podcasts?
The recent Reece Wilson one was good.
http://www.downtimepodcast.com/reece-wilson/
Cool hearing how Reece got into mtb with RC.
29ers for whipping
Revgrips
Pancakes and Fortnight pre-race training

Reece on Full factory ride for 2019 with 2 other young guys. What do you think?

A Pierron, Estaque, Wilson Commenencal factory team?

or a new bike and team?
Yes! This particular one was pretty good and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Details on Eddie Master’s team management style were insightful as well...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I came here to say something is wrong with RM. 2 pages for the Rampage thread, 4 pages for World Cup rumors...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
It's mostly a downhill forum these days, and by "downhill" I mean "a bunch of old guys who used to ride downhill but who now all have enduro bikes, waxing nostalgia about 'the good ole days' and speculating about the DH world cup instead of doing things like actually talking about riding."

I think all the people actually riding are busy over on instagram. I wouldn't know for sure, I never go there, I don't want to get jealous while I'm stuck in texas and can't ride actual mountains. Flat sandy XC courses that are raced on and won by +tires are pretty boring. Let's keep the actual riding and cool shit to a minimum, and start arguing about standards, or who's going to be on what team.

Anybody know how much longer Brook gets to ride on his Mondraker for? Seems like it's a way better fit for him than the GT that came before it, and GT actually has somebody winning world cups now - win win for both of them.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It's mostly a downhill forum these days, and by "downhill" I mean "a bunch of old guys who used to ride downhill but who now all have enduro bikes, waxing nostalgia about 'the good ole days' and speculating about the DH world cup instead of doing things like actually talking about riding."

I think all the people actually riding are busy over on instagram. I wouldn't know for sure, I never go there, I don't want to get jealous while I'm stuck in texas and can't ride actual mountains. Flat sandy XC courses that are raced on and won by +tires are pretty boring. Let's keep the actual riding and cool shit to a minimum, and start arguing about standards, or who's going to be on what team.

Anybody know how much longer Brook gets to ride on his Mondraker for? Seems like it's a way better fit for him than the GT that came before it, and GT actually has somebody winning world cups now - win win for both of them.
Shouldn't it be a pumptrack forum then?

Also I get the pain and your comment has me really depressed as hell. Had to take a mortgage to save my irresponsible mother from bankrupcy and then took a pay cut so I have less money than a bus driver. No hills for me anytime soon. Good thing I live in a city with 7 concrete pump tracks, one that's lit during the summer nights

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Maes posted pictures if a signed jersey from Gee and Rachel on his Instagram, so Athertons to GT, Gwin to Trek, and the YT mob to mid-pack with some unknown riders after buying the "Mob" name for an absurd amount of money from Whitely and Gwin.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Maes posted pictures if a signed jersey from Gee and Rachel on his Instagram, so Athertons to GT, Gwin to Trek, and the YT mob to mid-pack with some unknown riders after buying the "Mob" name for an absurd amount of money from Whitely and Gwin.
Didn't they used to be on the same team when he started riding? Could it be an old jersey?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Could be, seems odd that he'd randomly post it 4 years later like he did (it was a 2014 WC jersey), and if I can't come up with wild conspiracy theories based on Instagram stories, then what's the point of Instagram?
Faking the punters out of their socks?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
One user posted this over on Vital. Dunno how accurate any of it is.

Dean Lucas signed with Scott, new French team that replaces Velosolutions Scott, with Brendan as team mate

Charlie Harrison, Reece Wilson, and Charlie Hatton part of the new Factory team of Trek

Athertons moving to Marin Bikes

YT Mob will keep Angel Suarez and will join Vali Höll under the management of Martin Whiteley

Ratboy with Cannondale as 'manager' of the new team

Gwin to Intense with Neko and Jack Moir

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I wonder how much team atmosphere, support, training programs etc makes a difference in a riders performance as compared to the bikes.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
I wonder how much team atmosphere, support, training programs etc makes a difference in a riders performance as compared to the bikes.
I'd say quite a bit BUT i'm also sure the single most important thing is the mechanic as we have seen countless times how deep the relationships between most of these riders and their mechanics are. As long as the team atmosphere is without any pressure and everything is well organised i'm sure a rider can do well if they can keep their mechanic around.
For more sensitive individuals the expectations of the sponsor can add a lot of pressure regardless of team atmosphere, especially if they kinda expected to buy some kind of winning guarantee with a rider. A good team however can surely help a rider to push it those extra 1-2% required to really go on a tear and win the season.
The Syndicate imho is a good example of everything i mentioned.
They have have a dedicated babysitter/mother figure in Kathy Sessler catering to the guys emotional needs/stability, a bunch of loyal wrenches with deep ties to their individual rider and specific knowledge not only of their needs but also their small quirks and lastly a team owner/sponsor who is in touch with the scene and willing to play the long game instead of expecting wins every time.
This team has proven to at some point develop and maintain every one of their riders into a constant podium threat and i'm sure the team has a lot to do with that.