General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
damn!! Seems like he's got the Bubba mentality this year...

I can beat all of you guys on a "real" track going 90%, but I'm gonna go ahead and go 100% and crash my brains out, and still finish better than half the field...thanks for showing up guys.

rediculous

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
damn!! Seems like he's got the Bubba mentality this year...

I can beat all of you guys on a "real" track going 90%, but I'm gonna go ahead and go 100% and crash my brains out, and still finish better than half the field...thanks for showing up guys.

rediculous
Bubba won a SX championship and 11 supercross races, rode to win a championship, has learned to get the job done and not 'win or die'.

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
Bubba won a SX championship and 11 supercross races, rode to win a championship, has learned to get the job done and not 'win or die'.
very very true...I agree with that 110%. But did you also see him make a bunch of mistakes and put himself on the ground at a few rounds this year when there was no need to push?

Both are amazing riderswho ooze, style and talent...and are on a whole different level then all the other guys...agree?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
For all you statisticians:
how many times has Brendan beat Sam, while they have been teammates?
We're DH racers, not statisticians. I'm not ashamed to say I think Sam is the greatest thing ever, even if he doesn't win a race. That "by six seconds or not at all" mentality is just rare and f*cking inspirational to watch, which is why watching a split of his will always have you closer to the edge of your seat than any other rider.

digital2k8

Chimp
May 18, 2009
We're DH racers, not statisticians. I'm not ashamed to say I think Sam is the greatest thing ever, even if he doesn't win a race. That "by six seconds or not at all" mentality is just rare and f*cking inspirational to watch, which is why watching a split of his will always have you closer to the edge of your seat than any other rider.
Agreed. And I don't think Sam is sitting in the start gate thinking, "I'm gunna try to take 7 seconds out of these guys." He just rides to his max. Like the worlds last year... He didn't know he was up 10 seconds or whatever so he kept the hammer down all the way. He doesn't know his splits, he's just riding to his limit. And that's why he's the most exciting to watch.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Yeah - and I'm sure that Specialized shareholders are hating all the publicity such a signing brings... :bonk: after all, millions in bike sales are nothing compared to a few trophies.

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday? Well, he did that for IH. I'd guess there will be more demo8's sold this year than v10's regardless of how many wins Sam gets.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB

in a nut shell. well said.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Thanks for answering the question.

Sam is a tremendous talent and the most riveting rider to watch in this era...but you clearly did not see any racing in the 90's.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Yeah - and I'm sure that Specialized shareholders are hating all the publicity such a signing brings... :bonk: after all, millions in bike sales are nothing compared to a few trophies.

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday? Well, he did that for IH. I'd guess there will be more demo8's sold this year than v10's regardless of how many wins Sam gets.
Last I heard, Specialized sold about 250k bikes in 08'. Specialized is considered a mass market brand, Santa Cruz is a boutique brand, of course specialized will sell more bikes, specialized also makes a GREAT product so that doesn't hurt...add in the fact specialized did not have anyone racing elite gravity events since the Palmer days, this is a win win situation for S.

scman1

Chimp
May 16, 2009
Thanks for answering the question.

Sam is a tremendous talent and the most riveting rider to watch in this era...but you clearly did not see any racing in the 90's.
Should've, could've, would've......please........if you can't cross the finish line, it doesn't matter. Peaty showed he had the mental strength as did Gee and Minnaar.... Results don't lie...just overhyped forum boards!!!!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Should've, could've, would've......please........if you can't cross the finish line, it doesn't matter. Peaty showed he had the mental strength as did Gee and Minnaar.... Results don't lie...just overhyped forum boards!!!!
really?

whose worlds run gets talked about (or watched) more, Gee's or Sam's? Sam's

Whose the only person anyone remembers from Champeray? Sam

What's getting more attention after Andorra, Steve's record or Sam's huge crash followed by a pinned run to the finish? Yup, Sam again.

I'm with Stik on this one, as one of probably a dozen people on this board who have actually followed DH racing from the early 90's. This is clearly Sam's era but the Gachet/Vouilloz/Herin/Misser/Peat/Palmer battles from back in the day were no less epic. there were some absolute crack heads racing back then too. if anything, the WC is getting back some of the excitement it lost over the years.

Last edited:

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
peaty smiled and waved to the crowd on the start of his race run... pedaled with one hand... not taking too seriously, had a fun race... and won.

sam hill is nice to watch though... so different than the others.

i like them both.. :)

looking forward for next race this season !!!

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
http://dirtmag.co.uk/worldcup/category/Videos/dirttv-andorra-finals/dirt-1235086.html

ffwd to 6:27 you'll see his race run start (or maybe just the title)

a bit strange though... waved to the crowd... maybe they mixed up the videos?

:cheers:
Ratings! It looked good and fit in with the story. There is no way in hell that Peaty would half ass it right out of the start gate when he is 1st overall and has the potential to win. I am pretty sure that every one of his sponsors would have a s**tfit if he did.

PLUS if you look at the actual footage then you would notice that he had his red royal jersey on in that clip but during his race run he was wearing the rainbow jersey.

Last edited:

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Last I heard, Specialized sold about 250k bikes in 08'. Specialized is considered a mass market brand, Santa Cruz is a boutique brand, of course specialized will sell more bikes, specialized also makes a GREAT product so that doesn't hurt...add in the fact specialized did not have anyone racing elite gravity events since the Palmer days, this is a win win situation for S.
Sure, that's why I was specific about demos8 and v10.

Hairs, split.

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
very very true...I agree with that 110%. But did you also see him make a bunch of mistakes and put himself on the ground at a few rounds this year when there was no need to push?

Both are amazing riderswho ooze, style and talent...and are on a whole different level then all the other guys...agree?
Which rounds were those? The first round was all Chad Reeds fault. At Indianapolis Chad Reed was right on his back wheel when he went down. At St Louis all he did was miss a shift, but he still managed to get second in the main. In Seattle he placed in second after being involved in the crash at the start.

Stewart barely makes any mistakes at all. It might look like he ride on the edge but that's his race pace. He has a consistency which Sam Hill doesn't have.

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
it was not his race run, peat started his run properly, and wore the leaders jersey for his race run.
It really isnt that hard to figure out.

also, anyone got an idea when the brendan fairclough headcam will be up on transcend?

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
More relating to the fact you said specialized sells 'millions'. Oh, and whats specialized stock symbol?
... [gets out the follicle dividing equipment again]

I meant millions of dollars, not millions of frames.

1000 frames @ $1000 = million. Not hard to imagine SH making that difference at that margin.

[sigh]

$PZ?

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
hahaha... i'm new :monkey: but have you seen the VIDEO CLIP ?

anyway, can anybody confirm this... he was wearing same jersey as the podium interview.

IT WAS A JOKE.

In addition;

Elvis is dead
The Earth is more than 2000 years old
Angels, ghosts, fairys etc do not exist
Telepathic phenomenon has never been proven
Rambo was a fictional character
etc...

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
IT WAS A JOKE.

In addition;

Elvis is dead
The Earth is more than 2000 years old
Angels, ghosts, fairys etc do not exist
Telepathic phenomenon has never been proven
Rambo was a fictional character
etc...
whoa now, what's that you're saying about rambo? first my parents ruined christmas with santa claus not being real, and now you with rambo?

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Dirt's just posted up the best angle I've seen so far...

http://dirtmag.co.uk/worldcup/category/Videos/another-sam-hill-andorra-crash-video/dirt-1235091.html

Amazing alien skills, he rides out the tank slapper, no doubt seriously jeopardizing his reproductive organs, and manages to throw himself onto the softest spot on the whole hill...a snow pile. This is definitely the kind of skillz you need when you're going so freakin fast on a on a rocky course without armor.

I wonder if Sam is rethinking armor at the moment?

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
That Could've been sooo nasty(trees,rocks, stumps etc), Sam did good keeping the time lost to only 5 sec!!!

On a side note....Anyone else notice that Gees joined "team sharpie"?

scman1

Chimp
May 16, 2009
really?

whose worlds run gets talked about (or watched) more, Gee's or Sam's? Sam's

Whose the only person anyone remembers from Champeray? Sam

What's getting more attention after Andorra, Steve's record or Sam's huge crash followed by a pinned run to the finish? Yup, Sam again.

I'm with Stik on this one, as one of probably a dozen people on this board who have actually followed DH racing from the early 90's. This is clearly Sam's era but the Gachet/Vouilloz/Herin/Misser/Peat/Palmer battles from back in the day were no less epic. there were some absolute crack heads racing back then too. if anything, the WC is getting back some of the excitement it lost over the years.
can't agree more.....DH is getting more exciting than ever and because of its highly competitive nature...the riders who are mentally on top will dominate the circuit. Keep in mind the media can have a negative impact on one's mental state of mind.....and this is already happening, case in point....the last race!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
So far all these videos of sams crash get the point across, but they suck (quality wise). Where is the footage of the dude filming on course (the guy at bottom of slope), with the nice, handheld HD cam???

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That's the footage that Spec has I believe. It is great quality. It is supposed to be edited into an interview with sam about the event and be on the site shortly. When i checked only La Bresse was up so far.