Quantcast

World Cup #3 - La Massanna, Andorra

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
not bad... you have to give credit where credit is due. the fact the spcialized is giving sam and brendan 100% support and product development is pretty rad for such a large company who has been out of the gravity game for so long. it is good to see that they are not half assing it.

a lot of companies sign a big name rider and then just market a bunch of stuff around them without actually improving their products. it is noce to see a company taking advantage of what a world class rider can provide in terms of product testing and development.
Yeah, although Specialized are a huge company, it seems everyone who is employed by them has a genuine love of bikes and bike sport. Most certainly seems that the company is made up of motivated, like minded individuals as opposed to a collection of dipshtis paid to market chopped Aluminium that comes from far-east. Good times for DH cycles for sure.

I've ridden a lot of differnt peoples race bikes over the years and would really like a few runs on Sam's Demo, just to see and prove to myself that as long as a bike is damped correctly and has good angles and solid set-up, then they can all win races.

PRetty pissed off i can't race this one, stoked on being a pussbag internet fag for the weekend instead!

Last edited:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I've ridden a lot of differnt peoples race bikes over the years and would really like a few runs on Sam's Demo, just to see and prove to myself that as long as a bike is damped correctly and has good angles and solid set-up, then they can all win races.

PRetty pissed off i can't race this one, stoked on being a pussbag internet fag for the weekend instead!
and as soon as manufacturer's figure out the 100% truth of that first part and stop marketing crap "features" we will all be better for it.

give me a bike with proper angles and some dampers with working adjustments... everything else takes a back seat to that.

cheers :cheers:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Kirt, David, Oscar, Palm used to request wacky tire stuff and would get it done pretty fast when they were proto-ing specialized tires.
It is weird over 10 years ago they went big on racing DH tires, testing, etc...but never really did what they could with it.
I forget the actual number, but back in the day specialized tire business accounted for 80% of their profits.
Minor thread derail here but speaking of Palmer,Specialized, and going all out on DH racing here's something you won't see matched by Sam Hill (can't see it in the pic but he's clipped in too!):

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
It's a new tire that's all it is at this point.......time will tell if it is junk or not.

No one seems to be able to knock Maxxis off the top of the DH tire world.

Many seem to be trying this year though......

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
are we talking about the new clutch tire? I rode them yesterday. They're bomb.com, they feel like minions in the corners, but roll a little faster. (the DP version)

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
are we talking about the new clutch tire? I rode them yesterday. They're bomb.com, they feel like minions in the corners, but roll a little faster. (the DP version)
No its a new tire being developed called the Specialized Storm. Got a chance to ride a set all day a few days ago and I can say its a great tire! Hell, if they are running it by choice, then that says a lot already. Its got lines on the knobs to cut along so you don't have to worry about cutting them too short, and if uncut, the knobs have a nice knurling on top which I thought helped grip rocks/roots a little better. I really hope it goes into production, I'd probably ride spikes a lot more

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I can tell you that it is not junk. They will be running them in both qualifying and race runs... by choice. The team officially has no tire sponsor.
Maybe it is possible if they win on Specialized tires, there is some FAT bonuses involved...in addition to the tires being good.

What is it you young kids say? 'Jus sayin'?

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Maybe it is possible if they win on Specialized tires, there is some FAT bonuses involved...in addition to the tires being good.

What is it you young kids say? 'Jus sayin'?
Not possible.....haven't you heard, there just aint no money in cycles!

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
No one seems to be able to knock Maxxis off the top of the DH tire world.
I like Maxxis tires as much as the next guy, but a lot of past, present, and future Maxxis worshiping is due to herd mentality. There are other good tires if people can only open thier eyes, and Specialized makes some of them.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I forget the actual number, but back in the day specialized tire business accounted for 80% of their profits.
Are you talking way back in the day? Like pre-DH when Ned was a god and Team Control and Team Master ruled the day? And Panaracer Smokes and Ritchey something-or-others were the competitors?

Or do you mean not quite so far back in the day when Maxxis and Kenda already had a presence?

Spec used to have a huge presence in tires and seemed to just let Kenda and Maxxis come in and take it away from them at some point.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Are you talking way back in the day? Like pre-DH when Ned was a god and Team Control and Team Master ruled the day? And Panaracer Smokes and Ritchey something-or-others were the competitors?

Or do you mean not quite so far back in the day when Maxxis and Kenda already had a presence?

Spec used to have a huge presence in tires and seemed to just let Kenda and Maxxis come in and take it away from them at some point.
No, I am talking 90' and hell, even now. I have it on good information that specialized sells more tires than Maxxis.

There is more to sales than what you see in pit row.

Oh, and they were called ritchey megabites ;)

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC

They make road tires too...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have it on good information that specialized sells more tires than Maxxis.

There is more to sales than what you see in pit row.
Ding Ding! When I turned wrenches in college we sold more specialized tires than anything, because they were the best priced performance tire. The high end mtb market is a fraction of the mtb market as a whole.

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
"Speaking of smiles, Matti Lehikoinen has the biggest of all, a new frame with modified geometry has increased his speed and enjoyment on the bike tenfold"

I wonder what modifications he wanted? Any info from the Evil boys?

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
"Speaking of smiles, Matti Lehikoinen has the biggest of all, a new frame with modified geometry has increased his speed and enjoyment on the bike tenfold"

apparently he was testing different geometry (even lower/slacker) and switched back to a production frame here at Andorra.

the headtube inserts can not be made any more offset as there is not enough material to shave more away so he apparently was testing a frame with a different head tube and other small changes.... he is now back on the production version.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Nick Beer is in 5th, and Pascal is back and so is Cesar Rojo! Will be a surprise if Hill wont win this one. 1st in inter 1 and 2!
And what is wrong with Rennie this days?

Last edited:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV

He was on a prototype bike with modified geometry settings, just to try it out, and now he is back on an actual production model bike.